Jack Monroe #244 Why has she turned this into supermarket sweep?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sir Matt of Forearms isn't on Saturday Kitchen this morning as he's just been in hospital having his appendix out!

Saw this tweet 😬

View attachment 1006889
That would MAKE my day. ‘So many would benefit’ - yes, this thread and our collective joy / horror. I miss those simple days of laughing at her thin, chalky lasagne sauce, and that fist, shoving that corned beef down the coarse side of the grater.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 73
I
My dad used to keep all his receipts in a chicken,not a real obvs 😂😂

Imagine nooo henrietta I need the one for for argos 1994 the black kettle..cluckkkkkkk.

Anyways is she still going 👀
My Mum spent many days shredding my Dad's old pay slips as he seemed to think they should be kept forever. He had been retired for 15 years when he died! I'm imagining similar bags full of paper in Jack's fungalow

• Heart
Reactions: 39
Sir Matt of Forearms isn't on Saturday Kitchen this morning as he's just been in hospital having his appendix out!

Saw this tweet 😬

View attachment 1006889
And they are cooking fish cakes. Luckily Jack is slaving over her pens and wooden calculator with an army of mates mopping her brow or she'd be spitting nails :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 30

Saw this tweet 😬

View attachment 1006889
How though? She never does what most people would regard as a 'normal' shop. Her £20 shops were always a weird assortment of things that you couldn't really make meals of. She's always putting together strange combinations, that even if put together by an actual chef, would probably still be gross. Her portion sizes are way off. Slow cooking everything just doesn't appeal to a lot of people either. The whole lockdown larder thing was mostly her just saying bung it in a curry, no links to actual recipes or anything

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 57
That would MAKE my day. ‘So many would benefit’ - yes, this thread and our collective joy / horror. I miss those simple days of laughing at her thin, chalky lasagne sauce, and that fist, shoving that corned beef down the coarse side of the grater.
I find it telling she wasn't asked first to be on when they knew he wouldn't be in.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Can I just say when MR did his thing with the school meals he actually lobbied the pm and got results pretty much instantly.

He then worked on full time meals and has raised loads for this in need. He has remained humble throughout and carries on in his real job.

She has done nothing but talk for days, weeks, years now and yet we are all in the same boat. All she ever does is Yammer on. It's BORING. Actually get out there and sort it if that's what you wanna do.

Rant over. Going for a piss and a coffee.
This is the thing that annoys me so much. Her ‘activism’ comprises solely of tweeting and yet there are people falling over themselves to thank her ‘for everything that you do’. She does nothing for anybody else, unless there’s something in it for her. Infuriating!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 74
The Times article is quite masterful in stating clear facts. Calls Jack a food blogger. That will hurt.
Lots of lovely graphs but they are interactive so not easy to share.

Looking forward to a weekend of chaos, cutlery and yellow sticker food!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 52
The Times article is quite masterful in stating clear facts. Calls Jack a food blogger. That will hurt.
Lots of lovely graphs but they are interactive so not easy to share.
It reads like an exasperated fact check into Jack's nonsense. Like, I can imagine the journalist doing a deep sigh as he takes to his computer in an attempt to briefly school her.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 48
I’ve just seen a clip of her on the telly yesterday. Stop with the fillers woman, you are ruining your face.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
a

I bet this is everyone who actually works in this industry and doesnt wanna shag her.

• Haha
Reactions: 39
I bet she gets lots of challenges like we've been suggesting - "what about school uniforms?" "Not everyone has kids" "you don't need meat and it's too expensive" "my grandma would feed the whole family with the leftovers from the Sunday roast" "I buy in bulk" "not everyone can do that" "I grow chard in my garden" "some people don't have time to garden" "not everyone knows how to cook, you need to include ready meals" "not everyone loves near an ASDA" "my kid is allergic to peanuts, he might have a reaction if you include peanut butter" "I don't eat chocolate" "poor people deserve a treat"
Her response to each and every one of those will be:
Yep, already thought of that. Have factored it in already. Insert her own experience of when she made meals for a week out of a chicken carcass/had a deadly peanut allergy/had chard in her yard/bought in bulk and carried it home…

• Haha
Reactions: 47
It would be great if Jack fell into the mainly harmless rabbit hole of investigating the increase in the cost of Freddo's over the years-
Stephen Jay Gould wrote an excellent Essay on the economics of chocolate bars and how it applied to evolutionary biology. Jack cannot compete with one of the finest popular science writers of all time. His correct use of the more esoteric contents of the dictionary is unrivalled

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 41
I'm sure others have more eloquently said this already, I'm feeling a bit too frustrated to even catch up properly, but - what does anything of this achieve?!?!? What does being able to demonstrate what prices have changed DO?! How does this help anyone?! All it's doing is giving one person attention and money, and giving a load of other people the chance to pat themselves on the back and feel like they've done something but....they haven't?! Nothing's happened?!

'Awareness' doesn't effect systemic or structural change. Maybe a boost to Trussell Trust et al. donations is a short-term positive but, none of that actually does anything upstream, and the awareness is just endless bleating of OMG NOW I KNOW THIS IS A PROBLEM. Okay good for you but, the government regularly acknowledges the social injustices and inequality and deprivation that many people in this country face, that health and social care (and police...and so on) and the third sector are flailing in the face of. It's not a secret. Its spelled out in any number of reports and briefings and enquiries and even bloody inquests and ITV documentaries and so on. The people living it know it, the people living and working adjacent to it know it. Its not hidden or unknown. But it persists, and creating a new deprivation index ISN'T GOING TO DO ANYTHING. Dear Jack, stop raising awareness of JM and DO SOMETHING.

• Heart
Reactions: 71
I'm sure others have more eloquently said this already, I'm feeling a bit too frustrated to even catch up properly, but - what does anything of this achieve?!?!? What does being able to demonstrate what prices have changed DO?! How does this help anyone?! All it's doing is giving one person attention and money, and giving a load of other people the chance to pat themselves on the back and feel like they've done something but....they haven't?! Nothing's happened?!

'Awareness' doesn't effect systemic or structural change. Maybe a boost to Trussell Trust et al. donations is a short-term positive but, none of that actually does anything upstream, and the awareness is just endless bleating of OMG NOW I KNOW THIS IS A PROBLEM. Okay good for you but, the government regularly acknowledges the social injustices and inequality and deprivation that many people in this country face, that health and social care (and police...and so on) and the third sector are flailing in the face of. It's not a secret. Its spelled out in any number of reports and briefings and enquiries and even bloody inquests and ITV documentaries and so on. The people living it know it, the people living and working adjacent to it know it. Its not hidden or unknown. But it persists, and creating a new deprivation index ISN'T GOING TO DO ANYTHING. Dear Jack, stop raising awareness of JM and DO SOMETHING.
This 100%

Also I just wanna shout out all the new Ninnies. Welcome. Love your work, keep it up.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Stephen Jay Gould wrote an excellent Essay on the economics of chocolate bars and how it applied to evolutionary biology. Jack cannot compete with one of the finest popular science writers of all time. His correct use of the more esoteric contents of the dictionary is unrivalled
When a frau mentions a hero, it means this thread is the. place. to. be.

Not sure he used granular mathematics to crunch his numbers.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
I've caught up. My actual small boy required me to do parenting and make him breakfast this morning as well as make him dinner and put him to bed last night

I keep coming back to the question of "what does this do, what will it achieve?" of her working group. The ONS work and the reporting by the Food Foundation is about as thorough as it can be to reflect a national picture. Jack's exhausting exhaustive receipt collection is just busy work. The only outcome is Jack feels important. I'm local to MustardTree in Manchester and I will be furious is she comes here. They work with people who range from poor to absolutely destitute and those people have enough struggles in life without being used as poverty props for Jack's endless self promotion.

• Heart
Reactions: 61
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.