Jack Monroe #244 Why has she turned this into supermarket sweep?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Lots of fruit and veg in the market this morning, possibly even cheaper than Jack’s supermarket. Shall I tell her so she can pass on this valuable information?

if she’s been forensically analysing all this data for the last decade, all the info she’s been mendaciously methodically collating will be compiled already, right? right? We’ll definitely see those receipts today, and that £20 shop comparison, won’t we?

We surely won’t see that basics haven’t actually increased by a billion percent, and wonder why Jack can no longer feed a family of three and stack a freezer any more.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 43
I am actually appalled at her family, friends and therapist for letting get this involved. Listening to her on the radio yesterday took my right back to last year when she unravelled and ended up in the special day care.

That was less than a year ago.....

And yet they are standing by and letting her get swept up in something so huge with absolutely no proper research or plan.

I have a feeling she will be a celeb we read about in a few years time and not for happy news.

Also everyone seems to forget she has a kid. I feel so bad for him and not because I am a ninny and I am judging her because he needs his mum and it feels like she's never there.

Sorry I'm feeling sad this morning, but to think my two kids not having me when they need me because I am too caught up in my own tit. Makes me feel awful.
I don’t think they have a say on it. I don’t even think they can have many friends left-
cos how could they stick with someone who they know have built a life on lies?
How could they allow the boy to be exposed to such poverty/ or not, in a house with Bayliffs banging on the door.
How could they allow her to move her boy & life to London after ONE date?

make no sense that she has friends- acquaintances, maybe

🥴

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I mean what even are her top tips for low budget cooking? Aside from buying loads of yellow sticker produce you don't need and blending it all into slop? And making swaps like mince beef for corned beef which is actually more expensive per gram.

Genuinely I cannot think of a single budgeting tip. Am I being dense?
Nope that was my first thought too !!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
I mean what even are her top tips for low budget cooking? Aside from buying loads of yellow sticker produce you don't need and blending it all into slop? And making swaps like mince beef for corned beef which is actually more expensive per gram.

apart from collecting surplus hair to turn into firelighters, I can't either.

• Haha
Reactions: 39
Telegraph also has an article referencing food price inflation but no mention of our titular character. However, it goes on to show cheap, tasty meals to get through January (as many have longer between pay packets & Xmas has wiped out any spare cash). How dare they offer suggestions to help instead of outrage.

And now my sibling in law (married to narc) has posted that thread as 20 pictures on Facebook. That's all the immediate family now, just hoping the aunts/uncles & cousins don't join in.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 32

You can also literally wash food down the drain by rinsing the sauce off baked beans so you're left with just beans.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 49
You can also literally wash food down the drain by rinsing the sauce off baked beans so you're left with just beans.
You can save washing up liquid by decanting it into empty milk bottles, rather than just adding a drop or two of tap water to the original bottle. It’s amazing, honestly. I don’t know where I’d be without these superior nuggets of housekeeping wisdom.

• Haha
Reactions: 50
My well-meaning-but-lives-a-very-different-lifestyle-to-me sister has just shared the viral tweet. Cabal, give me the strength to let it go.

• Heart
  • Haha
My well-meaning-but-lives-a-very-different-lifestyle-to-me sister has just shared the viral tweet. Cabal, give me the strength to let it go.
I think this is an opportunity to softly, gently open your sister’s eyes. Direct her to company’s companies house

edit- to correct my appalling spelling/grammar

• Heart
Reactions: 32
This is so trivial and I'm sure incredibly out of place by now but like it really fucks me off how she talks about walking round the shops. With 2 heavy baskets and her calculator and her notepad and trying to remember all the prices of everything she has.

Get a trolley! Use scan as you shop! I flat out refuse to believe the tech we have in NI of baskets with wheels and putting cashiers out of work aren't in place in Thorpe Bay.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 58
I think this is an opportunity to softly, gently open your sister’s eyes. Direct her to company’s companies house

edit- to correct my appalling spelling/grammar
I fear that once I start I’ll get a bit carried away and scare her off
D7A88465-F73A-4B28-9E7D-F694D08DA759.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 40
save on containers for your dried herbs/table salt for the bath/questionable slime by stealing milk bottles from the milkman

#jackshacks was truly a golden era

• Haha
Doesn’t everyone just buy secondhand uniform from the PTA stall?
Im probably way late on this but you only purchase uniforms via PTA if your child is at independent school. No way ever would you do the same for a child at state secondary. Well that’s the way around where I live. Makes no sense whatsoever either.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.