Jack Monroe #244 Why has she turned this into supermarket sweep?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone ever left here to go over there and tell the truth of her lies and nonsense?
I would be tempted but I'm terrified of confrontation and a whole band of FMs wrecking my book reviews and thus writing career...am positive this would actually happen!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 33
It might have already been mentioned in one of the other 200 threads but Jack reminds me, especially with the riot comment of Camila Batmengelidh who ran kids company. A history of lying including from disabilities to childhood to secret work without their name attached. Being the only person with the solution, wildly overstating their impact and asking for money for projects which don't seem to have the promised outcomes. Kids Co and Batmangeligh were also loved by people who wanted to show how much they cared without actually getting their hands dirty or looking too closely at what was being done but wanting to be seen as doing the right thing. Both making wild claims of riots and deaths if they don't get their money.
Kids Company did actually exist however despite dreadful management. Other people benefited from money, whereas Jack's projects are entirely meretricious. (Go Jackie, we know you love a big word. Use that one to describe the Price Index!)
I've mentioned on the early days of these threads that I've had the misfortune of meeting Camilla Batmangelidgh many times.
She is vile. Her sycophantic staff were like a cult. She would literally sit and hold court in meetings, sometimes actually sitting at her feet and gazing up at her. Yes really. It was horrible.
The actual volunteers who ran the 'charity' were so keen to help and tbf it was a really worthwhile cause but the whole thing was a glory festival for their goddess Camilla.
Jack is 100% the same. The same sick smug grin when getting that Narc supply.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 61
So I searched her Twitter to see if she does this food price comparison exercise every year as she claims (sPoiLeR aLeRt! She hasn't.) It turned out a lot longer and more boring that I intended but I, unlike Jack, believe in showing my work so I am posting the evidence anyway. I apologise for length.

- Account: @BootstrapCook / Date Range: 5 years (unnecessary lol, there is so few tweets with these words I actually thought my Twitter was broken.) -

Word: INFLATION
April 30, 2021: “light-hearted tweet about inflation” (fruit salad thread)

Jan 16, 2021: price comparison tweet found! 2 pictures of garlic. Interestingly another accusation of ASDA price gouging…careful now, they have lawyers too.

Word: RISING
Nothing in relation. Ironically comes up in a bean dad thread with Jack replying in agreement to someone saying “feeding your child is not content” LOL.

Word: COST/S
Feb 13, 2021: piece in House Magazine. MACRO PHILANTHROPY ALERT! (What does this phrase even mean?!) Atrociously exaggerated naval gazing, 80% banging on about her pov but with added inexplicable pop at Sir Mo Farah. Calls herself unlucky rather than workshy and I lolled.

Jan 16, 2021: dead link to a piece on her website, think it’s potatoes.

Sep 25, 2021: used in reference to removal of £20 UC. Maize snacks. Picture of what £20 can buy but no comparison to what it could buy the year before….

Feb 26, 2021: “the total costs of all my tattoos combined is cheaper than a Mulberry handbang – got one of those with my first book royalties” HAHA she actually bought something for herself! A Mulberry bag is approx. £1000+. Wow she later on claims SB doodled on it and thats why she can't post a pic of it…

Word: PRICES

I’m very bored at this point. Lots of hits but no food price comparison tweets.
You won't find much via Twitter searches because she deletes her entire history regularly. Last time was December 2020. From thousands to zero.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
I don't think it helps when it's such a one-issue twitter account - it sadly does feed into her narrative that we are obsessive trolls. Even though the points may be valid and are ones which we discuss here, twitter doesn't exactly lend itself to nuance, so it's hard to make any inroads.
100% - perhaps if people used their real social accounts to call her out rather than 🧦 it would come across as less extreme - see accountancy squig or TD - as those tweets would be mixed in with all the rest of their posts. I don't agree with sock puppets but I get why as the fear of doxxing from her is real lol.

A good Twitter thread that doesn't use Tattle vernacular (begging bowl, pleading poverty etc etc) written by someone influential could have the potential to make inroads but who wants to start a flaming war. Her emotionally manipulative replies to the FT guy are a great example of guilt tripping. But I do think a well researched article is the best shot, although with her 100% success rate I can imagine why publications are jumpy.

The shining light in this is that this thread continues to grow and is populated by a diverse group of fab people who (mostly) have properly nuanced discussion.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
I actually think this fantasy index is dangerous, especially since she will be banging on about those £20 shops again. It will simply reinforce the thoughts in people's minds that people on low incomes (who I am not going to refer to as the poor) should be able to feed 3 people on that joyless basket of food. Why would we need to raise benefits or wages when people can eat some kale and yellow sticker chicken wings? Families should be able to feed themselves decent quality food that actually tastes good. It's such a worthy idea people should be eating chickpea curry when almost every child would rather have a plate of chicken nuggets or some pizza and a roast chicken on a Sunday.

Remember the food she used to claim to give sb for packed lunch? Cheap white bread sandwiches with cheese spread and grated carrot served with some smart price maize snacks, does anyone have the receipts for that?

I bought some lamb from Asda yesterday which obviously makes me part of the aristocracy. In reality that £3.50 pack of lamb will make 4 portions of tagine. I also bought biscuits, coffee and other decent food. The prices are going up (my 4 pints of milk had gone up from £1.10 to £1.15) but it is not 300%.

When I worked at CAB there was something known as a trigger figure when working out debt repayment plans. When someone had debts it would allow you a figure for food as an essential spend before they calculated any surplus to be paid to creditors, unfortunately, these figures are only viewable if you have a license but I seem to remember years ago it was £35 for an adult and child.

There are organisations that already calculate the effect of prices on people who are struggling. After every client comes into CAB the advisor fills in a stats form. It tells them what the issue is i.e. debt, delayed benefits, food bank voucher, found fit to work when disabled etc. They then put together yearly reports. The child poverty action group have been around for 50 years and also produce excellent materials and campaigns around poverty.

The people headline about the poor starving to death was also highly irresponsible.

Anyway, I have created the grifter index. Let's calculate the cost of the following essentials and hope the tip jar rattling can keep up with demand.

Ouchy mouth pringles.
Sherbet dib dabs.
Sardines (extra special).
Eggs (from the greengrocer).
Milk (from milk and more)
Sideboards (Cotswold).
Cat food (gourmet perl).
Bottled lemon juice.
Pot noodles.
Haircuts at Toni and Guys.
63 different eyeshadow palletes.

Does anyone have anything to add to that list?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 54
I try to keep track of the criticism on Twitter as well, and sadly there’s really not much (well not searchable anyway - for good reason 🙊 🦅). IMHO though , the sock accounts can seem a bit deranged. They’re not going to convince anyone by telling them how much Jack spends on spoons. Maybe evidence of her begging, but it’s really really difficult to convince people they’ve been conned - far easier to con them in the first place.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
BiB: this exactly. I've posted this before, but this quote from one of her early interviews is telling and probably closer to her actual, unfiltered views of the people she claims to dedicate her life's work to.

View attachment 1009230
Jack in a nutshell: the same daytime TV she looks down on, she is more than willing to trouser appearance fees from. 'Brought up on benefits' - every child of her generation was entitled to non means tested child benefit, and I'm sure even back whenever there was additional local authority help for foster parents. Benefits absolutely should not be stigmatised by someone who supposedly has the best interests of 'the poor' at heart.
US and THEM is as much part of the Mackie story as THEN and NOW.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 46
@MooBelle
I always thought there was something 'off' about CB. No surprise that her degree was in Drama. Same smug expression. Dupers Delight.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
I try to keep track of the criticism on Twitter as well, and sadly there’s really not much (well not searchable anyway - for good reason 🙊 🦅). Sadly, the sick accounts can seem a bit deranged. They’re not going to convince anyone by telling them how much Jack spends on spoons. Maybe evidence of her begging, but it’s really really difficult to convince people they’ve been conned - far easier to con them in the first place.
Exactly this. 👏🏻
Nobody wants to think that they have been taken in or hoodwinked and when you add to that the fact that some of them are genuinely vulnerable and for a variety of reasons not likely to stand up and put their experience on a public platform it creates an ideal little bubble for it to continue.

• Sad
Reactions: 34
The prices are going up (my 4 pints of milk had gone up from £1.10 to £1.15) but it is not 300%.
Milk's a funny one - at my local supermarket (Morrisons) they have the Morrisons milk and then the more expensive 'for farmers' milk, where they say that a certain amount of the money spent goes to the farmers, so when I'm feeling flush I buy that, because I know a lot of the time the farmers are working for next to nothing. I've never looked into it much though, it suggests that the farmers aren't getting any of the money from the Morrisons milk, but that must be wrong.

Reactions: 28
I don't think it helps when it's such a one-issue twitter account - it sadly does feed into her narrative that we are obsessive trolls. Even though the points may be valid and are ones which we discuss here, twitter doesn't exactly lend itself to nuance, so it's hard to make any inroads.
Agree, but also look at the mental gymnastics of this fan, re tax

Attachments

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 48
The coincidences with Jack really are something. Finding high end cookware in a charity shop, designer stuff in puddles, friends buying her curtains (that just happen to fit the windows perfectly-etc etc) and now an ‘intensely private’ man who messaged her of all people & revealed that he ate toothpaste for dinner and who doesn’t want anyone else to help him because only Jack is needed and she has sorted ‘loads of help’ for him (obviously in between rejigging her kitchen, hoovering up cat food from the sentient rug, raging & not sleeping for 41 (I think?) hours & appearing in several media outlets (free of charge presumably?) whilst tweeting constantly? And now he’s ‘haunting’ poor, poor Jack.
They do say real life is stranger than fiction. They also say grifters gonna grift.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 37
You don’t know him, he goes to a different school.
Also we know Jacks idea of a budget for someone’s food so if he did exist maybe it would be an idea to have help from others too.

Reactions: 32
Unfortunately people will not see it until they are prepared to see it- even if presented with evidence.

In addition to this we’re in a terrible time regarding fact checking and critical thinking,which doesn’t help obvs.

People are getting it slowly though, which is heartening!

Can one of our data fraus please calculate the inflation of squiggle awakening since DKL?😂

• Haha
Reactions: 31
I know we’ve briefly touched on the impact on the wider supply chain of food prices are driven downthanks to Jack n her chums. Thought I’d share some anecdotal evidence….

A few members of my family work in haulage- my FIL owns a company with a fleet of 12 & my brother runs a company with a much larger fleet. 3 years ago my brother was paying his drivers £15 per hour for an overnight run. Today, hes paying £20 and above. I am sure this is much much higher elsewhere in the country as we are in the north where costs are generally lower. That’s a huge increase in costs. He used to employ 50 drivers, it is now closer to 30, because they just cannot afford the wages.
Just reducing the cost of rice, champagne & lamb doesn’t solve the problems!!!!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 40
Snap @heretoreaditall2019 I should really comment after grunking.

Jack is disgusting, she did not have anything to say about lorry drivers and other crisises. 'I'm alright Jack' is her mentality, screw everything else as long as she has got what she wants.

View attachment 1009187
I was just writing a reply quoting your comment it was brilliant and far more detailed thank you. That’s v similar to the worst of the shortages in the UK in 2021, there’s one core ingredient the big brands buy in and it failed safety testing meaning supply was paused. As soon as one supermarket run out you start looking elsewhere and buying what you can so all the rest run down their stocks quicker. It’s a horrible situation to be because as you point out - you can’t sub it for anything else. The idea of moving your young infant across to another type of milk is daunting as you don’t want them dropping weight or suffering in any way. It’s a bizarre lie to tell but she also tells horrifically anxiety inducing tales of cold babies which is unforgivable with a multi millionaire father around the corner.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 41
@MooBelle
I always thought there was something 'off' about CB. No surprise that her degree was in Drama. Same smug expression. Dupers Delight.
She was terrifying to be around.
I can't really explain it but it was like everyone was in a trance. She spoke so softly is was almost child like and the staff just used to gaze at her. She would hold her hand up to let them speak and then put her hand up to silence them.
My manager at the time refused to do the meetings because she considered it a dangerous situation.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 45
I cannot bloody stand this. After a lengthy break from all things Jack and despite having her blocked and muted, her showboating nincompoopery still manages to find me. Someone with clout really needs to do a deep dive into her finances and expose the awful poverty vampire once and for all. It's our stupid and superficial media culture that allows this parasite to thrive, rather than do the real work of going and talking to people and organisations with real knowledge, lets wheel out the peoples urchin for another self indulgent display of hyperbole. Honestly it's like living in a particularly vivid cheese dream.

We're facing a cost of living crisis which will add further hardship to people already struggling to get by, we're governed by incompetent drunks and instead of reflecting real public anger and centring people with real experience and solutions we get the public indulgence of a spoiled middle class girl throwing a decade long passive aggressive tantrum because her parents didn't hand over the cheque book and tell her to go wild. Oh and there's the final insult of whole swathes of the left blowing smoke up this fraud's pampered arse because she hates the Tories so she must be a good guy.

To end on a positive note whoever picked that smug picture of her to accompany the people will starve to death headline certainly got her character dead on- she loves rubbernecking at the misery, actively hoping it gets worse. If she had any basic decency she'd highlight that whilst many people will struggle and that's unacceptable there are a plethora of organisations out there that can help and that there is no need whatsoever for a single person to starve to death. She could use her flair for publicity to highlight these organisations and make sure people have the information they need.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 68
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.