Jack Monroe #243 She isn't poor, she chooses not to work

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thoughts and prayers to all those naïve squigs who are waiting to be added to the fabled Working Group 🙏 we hardly knew ye

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
I just can’t believe we’re having to put up with all of this because Jack’s dad won’t give her a lift up to Lidl, or the IRL Asda and she’s losing her tit and going viral because Asda don’t do smart price rice online
Yeah, I wish he would just sign over the property empire now and we would never hear from her again

• Haha
Reactions: 42
I just can’t believe we’re having to put up with all of this because Jack’s dad won’t give her a lift up to Lidl, or the IRL Asda and she’s losing her tit and going viral because Asda don’t do smart price rice online
To be honest, she probably got the huff because someone got to the yellow sticker ham and lettuce before her, she went online, saw the prices and well, the rest is history.

We were quite happy counting minding our own business and now we have this fallout to deal with.

There is nothing like the fear of feeling like you have taken on more than you can handle and writing for the FT is definitely more than she can handle.

Scary times though- thread change early doors Saturday morning.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 37
Jack being quoted/mentioned everywhere I look on social media has done a chaos on my sleep. I’m a Frau who has epilepsy so I’m still raging from convulsion Jack but what’s getting to me more is her dangerously inaccurate economic analysis . I know her numbers are only her local shop and although yes food is going up in price, my weekly food bill is not suddenly going to rise 300% , nor am I going to have to sell all my lightbulbs , but that thread has been described so much as being “ a must read” , “ a stark reminder of reality we live in “ etc and that’s enough to set off the what ifs in my head 🤦‍♀️ . I’m not living in poverty but I’m also not working with much wiggle room, much like many people at the moment . We’ve already made decisions about what we can downgrade or swap, and are being even more stingy with the heating . but because I’m not dining on a stock cube and bin burger in a lightbulb-less ( RENTED) kitchen full of expensive clutter and eBay cutlery , according to Jack I don’t understand what it means to struggle financially.

• Heart
Reactions: 69
Why are you all talking about excel formulas and wordstar and data input stuff? You know complicated workings out like this are done on a roll of fancy wallpaper. With highlighters.
And multi coloured Post-It notes.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
That was quite a catch up, kept thinking a new thread would start before I'd finished this one!

Can the next thread have a poll about the fate of the boots index?

• Haha
Reactions: 27
These grunks keep getting longer and longer!

I'm fascinated by her working group. It's such an hysterical concept that'll never work. None of them have a bloody clue. I love it.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
I don't have a blender nor use conditioner and these are not essential. But that's me. We are all different. And there are cultural differences between what people feel they can't do without.
And as others have said the supply chain has to be included. Cheap food means poorly paid farmers and transporters. And the environment. Can something be an essential if its carbon footprint is huge?

Jack is out of her depth.

• Heart
Reactions: 51
I just went back and listened to the LBC recording and I think if you were a friend or family member it would be the evidence that you needed to stage an intervention.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 43
This has finally enraged me enough to stop lurking.

My MP has retweeted Jack's stupid thread. Would it be over the top to write to her regarding it? As someone on UC and PIP 🔺, times are scary enough right now and I did not vote for her to further this scaremongering bollocks. We don't even have an ASDA, 45p/kg rice aplenty round here.
A measured email along those lines would be quite reasonable, IMO

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Off topic but how does she afford the rent on her house? She must be earning quite a bit right to be able to pay that?

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Off topic but how does she afford the rent on her house? She must be earning quite a bit right to be able to pay that?
Her Patreon generates a decent annual income which even at the lowest estimate would likely cover her rent. If you are new, check out the wiki (pink button at the top).

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 39
I just went back and listened to the LBC recording and I think if you were a friend or family member it would be the evidence that you needed to stage an intervention.
I just listened for the first time.
The laughing 😬
The snivelly nose - it always sounds like she is dragging a grubby cuff across her nose to
wipe it.
Why does she hate Charlie Bigham so much? A novel idea but she doesn't actually have to buy his stuff so not sure why she calls people daft who do. It is called a free market economy.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
I just listened for the first time.
The laughing 😬
The snivelly nose - it always sounds like she is dragging a grubby cuff across her nose to
wipe it.
Why does she hate Charlie Bigham so much? A novel idea but she doesn't actually have to buy his stuff so not sure why she calls people daft who do. It is called a free market economy.
We know she's bought those ready meals before too. Maybe various housemates and SB have expressed a preference for him over Jack's slop?

• Haha
Reactions: 29
I am quite glad she has now realised she needs literal experts. So hopefully she will be out so far behind the scenes she will just be slinging slop and sow cooking the tea. They will occasionally give her a Sharpie and some paper so she can write down her ideas and use none of them. As long as people get fed and actual proper research is conducted. I really don't see an MBE in her future you have to have actually done something for Queenie to dish those out.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.