Jack Monroe #243 She isn't poor, she chooses not to work

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I feel like Jack is going to be really upset in a few days when she finds out Meatloaf is dead.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 51
Sorry, I’m still grunking and it’s already late, and I know we’ve moved on from this, so sorry if this lands in an inappropriate place.

Buuut, omg Jack going on about the dine in for £10 deal thing, aghh! I know others have already mentioned this, but it’s been on my mind.

Me and one of my friends, one of us earns minimum wage, the other, just above that, and quite often we do get that deal. It’s great, we have a movie night, one us of on the phone while the other is is Tesco, trying to decide what to have. We spilt the cost, and often even have, gasp, Prosecco.

None of it is essential, and I really am just mithering now, but it just shows how out of touch Jack is. Of course neither me or my friend are in poverty, thankfully, but we both have to be so careful, and we love a treat and a bargain.

Also, ugh, solidarity with the other Pratchett fraus ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 72
I feel like Jack is going to be really upset in a few days when she finds out Meatloaf is dead.
Oh don't, I had a little cry this morning over Sir Loaf.
Many a tune singing in ( not) tune with my dad.
I class him as a story teller much lich Chris De Burg and I'm not not that that old... I was just a young mum who worked AND PAYED TAXED TAXED AND NOW IM DEAD.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Oh don't, I had a little cry this morning over Sir Loaf.
Many a tune singing in ( not) tune with my dad.
I class him as a story teller much lich Chris De Burg and I'm not not that that old... I was just a young mum who worked AND PAYED TAXED TAXED AND NOW IM DEAD.
do you remember a couple of years ago on the voice the woman who did the original vocals for anything for love was on it. Basically no one turned around for her even though she was great but she also didn’t get much money from the song at the time. It’s crazy how some people make it and others just don’t get a crack at it.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Aldi has pasta for like 30p

You know the cell alignment will be completely random as well, and all the headings will be merged so you can't filter anything. Is it manual entry? Can't wait to see how many misspellings there will be for the same item at various supermarkets 🤢🤢🤢
In 1984, Orwell writes "By itself, pain is not always enough. There are occasions when a human being will stand out against pain, even to the point of death. But for everyone there is something unendurable—something that cannot be contemplated."

This is my thing. This is my one thing. Please, Lemon, my nightmares.

Half the prices are entered as something like "59p" and the others "0.59". Random missing rows. Someone deletes all of the February data. There's perhaps one formula and the syntax is wrong.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 54
I see she's still being extra boring. I want to go and address it on Twitter (obviously won't) but then, what's the point? She'll hiss and holler and insist she's correct when her mathematics is atrocious, and she can't see the woods for the trees in all her economic-wrangling. The inaccuracy, the manic retweeting, and the threat of a huge and unwieldy Excel spreadsheet is too much.

I almost miss the tinned fish content, and you know it's getting bad when I wish for the fish, but this is my Vietnam.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Sorry, I’m still grunking and it’s already late, and I know we’ve moved on from this, so sorry if this lands in an inappropriate place.

Buuut, omg Jack going on about the dine in for £10 deal thing, aghh! I know others have already mentioned this, but it’s been on my mind.

Me and one of my friends, one of us earns minimum wage, the other, just above that, and quite often we do get that deal. It’s great, we have a movie night, one us of on the phone while the other is is Tesco, trying to decide what to have. We spilt the cost, and often even have, gasp, Prosecco.

None of it is essential, and I really am just mithering now, but it just shows how out of touch Jack is. Of course neither me or my friend are in poverty, thankfully, but we both have to be so careful, and we love a treat and a bargain.

Also, ugh, solidarity with the other Pratchett fraus ❤
my mums on just over minimum wage I earn a bit more than her and we get one of them £10 meal deals every week, we don’t really go out to dinner and there’s only 2 of us so don’t see the point in cooking a roast.
of course it’s not essential but it’s nice.

• Heart
Reactions: 57
Speed grunking but have just got to the bit about Jack putting together a crack team to assemble the Monroe price index on excel (WTAF).

Sorry, but all I’m picturing is the weirdos who’d turn up for a week in M4 corridor FP&A or audit teams and then get dismissed for either being unable to use the SUM function or asking inappropriate questions/weird staring/refusing to use Teams because the govt already tracks them. In my head they are all sitting around the big table, with the Cotswolds closing in on them and drinking disgusting twig tea while Jack gets the sentient mirror to read out her blue tick replies as she stuffs her face with snow dusted spicy Pringles.

This thread has finished me.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 56
my mums on just over minimum wage I earn a bit more than her and we get one of them £10 meal deals every week, we don’t really go out to dinner and there’s only 2 of us so don’t see the point in cooking a roast.
Did you know you are Rich? And having Jolly Times?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
He's just up the road from me 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🤟🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿...also to add we also now have The Ivy in Cardiff. The nearest I've ever got to it is digging the bloody plants out my garden. God, I hope the Terry Prachett squiggs rise up like the viggles did and rip her a new one.
My in laws went recently and spent about 60 packets worth of lurpak butter on dinner there

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
Speed grunking but have just got to the bit about Jack assembling a crack team to assemble the Monroe price index on excel (WTAF).

Sorry, but all I’m picturing is the weirdos who’d turn up for a week in M4 corridor FP&A or audit teams and then get dismissed for either being unable to use the SUM function or asking inappropriate questions/weird staring/refusing to use Teams because the govt already tracks them. In my head they are all sitting around the big table, with the Cotswolds closing in on them and drinking disgusting twig tea while Jack gets the sentient mirror to read out her blue tick replies as she stuffs her face with snow dusted spicy Pringles.

This thread has finished me.
Nah it’s a WhatsApp group called Statistics Tracking Undeclass Price Index Discussion

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 68
Exactly. And (thankfully), I guess, neither you, your mum, or me and my friend are on our bare bones, but we have to be careful, buuut also enjoy living like queens when we can. When me and said friend go out for dinner it will be some kind of groupon deal. It’s normal for me and my peers, and we’re in our 30s - 40s.

I know this is just anecdotal, and other people have explained how wrong Jack’s sociological analysis is, but she REALLY doesn’t understand nuance and how what she’s trying to achieve or prove is sooo beyond her. Not just because of her lack of research skills, but her black and white thinking, and her weird prejudices and stereotypes.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
Why are you all talking about excel formulas and wordstar and data input stuff? You know complicated workings out like this are done on a roll of fancy wallpaper. With highlighters.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
Nah it’s a WhatsApp group called Statistics Tracking Undeclass Price Index Discussion
Thanks Hotes, I’ve obviously misinterpreted her Critical Understanding New Topic Including Net Gains Showing High Inflation Transactional Index Design Excel Appraisal.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.