Jack Monroe #241 Average level lies and lard gravy

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
View attachment 998863

Well, they're not wrong - "a bit big for one person" will never be a problem with Jack's food!

PS I read the Guardian article. There's no jargon (what would that even mean in a cooking context?). There are also no lengthy asides about arthritis, depression, or vendettas against Jamie Oliver. Words like "ephemera", "sloppy" and "oozing" do not appear. There is no cheerful use of the term "little tinkers" in an Irish recipe. Both pages do end with a vigorous rattle of the tip jar, though!
Perhaps by 'jargon' he means forrin words like sardinillas, som tam and shawarma? Jack of course would never talk down to her readers like this, because forrin food is far too confusing for them 🇬🇧

• Haha
Reactions: 47
Miguel is on Sky News this morning. Just showed a clip of him cooking in a clean, airy and brightly lit kitchen. Totes profesh.
Popped into say this - that prepared onion with optional second depending on time, sharp knife and organised kitchen shouldn’t be impressive but Jack has lowered my standards this far 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 30
View attachment 998863

Well, they're not wrong - "a bit big for one person" will never be a problem with Jack's food!

PS I read the Guardian article. There's no jargon (what would that even mean in a cooking context?). There are also no lengthy asides about arthritis, depression, or vendettas against Jamie Oliver. Words like "ephemera", "sloppy" and "oozing" do not appear. There is no cheerful use of the term "little tinkers" in an Irish recipe. Both pages do end with a vigorous rattle of the tip jar, though!

One of the things I find annoying about Jack's recipes (other than most of them don't work!) is how wordy they are.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
BTW I think TD has unblocked Jack - one of her tweets is in TD's 'likes' columns and you can't like a tweet from someone you've blocked. Maybe it was initially a soft block so that she could be free of Jack following her. Anyway, it means Jack will be able to see TD's posts which is nice!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 56
I'm normally a lurker on here, but I had to make an account to say that this website stuff is absolutely insane.
I'm a web developer, it's WordPress, it's not complicated, it's a couple of hours work MAXIMUM - even if she had no back up.
At the very most, it'd be £100 to fix.
This makes my actual blood boil that she's rattling the tip jar and evading on the cost of things to people who don't know about this stuff.
She is actual scum

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 107
I just want to jump back on something posted on the first page of this thread. I think we can expect diabetic friendly food (that's probably not but that's a different story) in the near future. The person who asked to DM her about his national role. He Is co-lead for Diabetes for NHS England.
Surely for the NHS to pay a ltd company/contractor for work done they’d need to pass some form of financial assessment? A key part of that being they’re meeting their statutory requirements.
I wish there was a podcast investigating grifting

It actually should be on BBC watchdog or whatever it is
I wish there was *anyone* in the media who gave a tit about this patreon tit or the data/evidence we have.

I’d happily show them the methodology, the script, verify my government name/NI number/CV, compare it to another dataset publicly available (ours is better tho as it shows gains and losses, the website tracking everyone’s just shows net - but our numbers align which is reassuring!), etc etc. For free. No one gives a duck because no one wants to have to field legal letters from her tit NWNF solicitor. She’s a bully and she’s got her first barrier of defence perfectly nailed down.

Ngl do want to expand the project beyond just her as the platform is rife with grifters, and maybe that would be of more interest? But again, to who?? There’s always Medium to write this up but there it’ll rot with the rest of the nutters self publishing.

• Heart
Reactions: 57
Just catching up-
WHY hasn’t someone done a piece on the grifters like Jackie Gal?
That article about this should recognise the work that happens on here calling OUT these pond dwellers while they present as hard up.
Jeez- there’s enough evidence here that their job would be easy.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
View attachment 998863

They weren't jargon heavy at all, and each item was clearly explained. A few of the recipes mentioned, like empanadas, wouldn't really matter if you made a batch anyway, as they last a few days in the fridge or you can freeze them. Som tam keeps a day or two in the fridge as well - although I don't get the point of adding sardines to that one tbh.

Once you've got a recipe in front of you, it's pretty easy to see how to scale it up or down accordingly. Seeing 'serves 6' or whatever wouldn't necessarily put me off making something for my daughter and I. We either enjoy leftovers, freeze it, or reduce the quantities.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Was her moaning about her kitchen and saying she was too poor to do it up a typical influencer ploy to get it kitted out for free? And then mention how her new units were kindly gifted by @SuckersofSouthendKitchens?

(Btw Well done again to @HodgeSplodge for RustySpoongate! That ridiculous lie has really backfired for her).
I’m amazed she hasn’t deleted it!! Flagrant (fragrant?) bullshit!

Reactions: 26
I'm normally a lurker on here, but I had to make an account to say that this website stuff is absolutely insane.
I'm a web developer, it's WordPress, it's not complicated, it's a couple of hours work MAXIMUM - even if she had no back up.
This makes my actual blood boil that she's rattling the tip jar and evading on the cost of things to people who don't know about this stuff.
She is actual scum
Definitely. She's really taking advantage of the fact that a lot of people who don't know anything about tech think it's far more complicated than it really is. If you're not tech-savvy, then you might well believe her bullshit.

But this is 2022, not 1996, and having a basic understanding of how websites work is no longer such a rare skill - no wonder so many squigs are finally wising up!

(welcome aboard, by the way!)

• Heart
Reactions: 55
Jack isn’t famous enough for people to pay enough attention to notice the inconsistencies in her stories. To most people, she’s just that poverty food writer who sued Katie Hopkins, so she can’t be that bad really. That’s if they’ve even heard of her at all.

Jack has moaned about not getting opportunities in the past but this relative obscurity actually works in her favour. If she was famous she couldn’t use the tip jar and would be expected to actually work and create a decent output.

Reactions: 51
She is actual scum
I’m not even a developer, I just have a couple of WP sites that I run myself and I know full well that even I could fix it in a couple hours it’s INFURIATING.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
This feels like progress, back in the day Observer Food Monthly had a very good article from North South food blog about food and poverty- I particularly remember the bit about not being able to afford to cook food children might not eat and choosing between heating the oven and washing school uniform when the electric meter is low.
Miss South was really great about food banks back in the days when supermarkets didn't automatically have collection points - and an excellent perspective as someone who had both volunteered and been a user (without melodrama or co-opting other people's stories. (Kind of highlights what a shocker Monroe is really, given their standing as a gobby 'activist')

Reactions: 25
+ bearing in mind it’s always been her PayPal link in bio, not the website, it’s safe to say which one is the more profitable venture for her.

She won’t ever sort the website as running this story out for the next year will make her thousands and thousands of pounds.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 54
+ bearing in mind it’s always been her PayPal link in bio, not the website, it’s safe to say which one is the more profitable venture for her.

She won’t ever sort the website as running this story out for the next year will make her thousands and thousands of pounds.
It seems odd that she was able to set up a full functioning website way back when she had very little funding/support. Now apparently she's sitting at her desk coding away, as though shes hacking into MI5 just to get an already existing site back up.
Surely her publisher could sort this in an afternoon for her, it's part of the brand after all 🤷

• Heart
Reactions: 55
She is actual scum
welcome!

I mentioned yesterday evening that someone had questioned her on instagram about the cost of repair of the website (she ignored) but she's now gone on to delete their comment it seems.
There is a complete lack of transparency, especially with PayPal donations. She hasn't given the slightest hint of how much it will cost to repair, nor has she said she'll let people know when she's achieved that amount in donations, or what she'll do with any excess funds raised (buy more grotty spoons?).

For those who may be interested, when you click on a PayPal link, there is an option to 'report this link'.

ETA, not report this page, but report this link. it then brings up a drop down at the bottom of the page where one could, if they felt it was appropriate, detail why the page should be reported.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 53
Agree. And whilst I’m very supportive of the arts and creative people who are able to make it their vocation; it seems there are many who are offended by the suggestion they perhaps take up another job whilst their industry is on its arse. What ever happened to compromise?
I know what you mean. I want to be an author, it's all I ever wanted to do and it's my true passion in life. Unfortunately, unless you're lucky enough to get a multi-movie deal and/or have a lot of books published it doesn't really pay the bills, so I have a day job to do that and write in my spare time. Do I hope that one day I'll achieve that childhood dream of living in a little cottage and doing nothing but writing and pottering about all day? Of course! But until then the (non-homeowning frau here) RENT still needs to be paid. Clearly I'm missing a trick - need to quit my job and set up a tip jar stat!

• Heart
Reactions: 56
I know what you mean. I want to be an author, it's all I ever wanted to do and it's my true passion in life. Unfortunately, unless you're lucky enough to get a multi-movie deal and/or have a lot of books published it doesn't really pay the bills, so I have a day job to do that and write in my spare time. Do I hope that one day I'll achieve that childhood dream of living in a little cottage and doing nothing but writing and pottering about all day? Of course! But until then the (non-homeowning frau here) RENT still needs to be paid. Clearly I'm missing a trick - need to quit my job and set up a tip jar stat!
Keep on plugging! I got published recentlyish (🔺) It didn't pay much sadly but hoping next one might do better and I'll get a little pottering cottage too <3

• Heart
Reactions: 62
Keep on plugging! I got published recentlyish (🔺) It didn't pay much sadly but hoping next one might do better and I'll get a little pottering cottage too <3
Congratulations, well done you!! 🎊🎉 It's a slog but worth it. Every day is another step closer to my name on that front cover ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 43
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.