Jack Monroe #237 Cycles through personalities like a dying Terminator

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've just been on Twitter to check out the Molly Mae thing. People are calling influencer culture right wing (at last) and in no way comparable to jobs such as nursing , emergency services etc. Also transpires MM took 500k from the sweatshop outfit PLT whilst their workers were forced to work through Lockdown 1 and they only earn £3.35 an hour. Like Jack, MM does not recognise her privilege and she has a pretend job (influencer) but thinks that she got rich due to 'hard work'. It's pretty insulting to the front line workers. But I'm so glad people are seeing it at last. I would love to see influencers become extinct, they are all out for money and the grift.
Not just insulting to front line workers, but to the millions who experience poverty, deprivation, social inequalities and injustice....the way these influencers bang on, gormelessly, about all they've achieved blows my mind. The staggering lack of empathy or understanding of how privileged they are, and of the realities faced by the many who don't have that privilege. I'm a frontline worker in one of the most deprived parts of the country and I spend so much time incensed that politicians oversee health/social care/public health/education/leveling the duck up or whatever the rest of those departments are called with ZERO idea or experience or empathy for what the people who work in and use all these services face. So I suppose its overly ambitious to expect an influencer to manage it but. It's so frustrating that these are the role models/mouthpieces/faces of neoliberalism capitalism. Ugh. Why is everyone a twit 😭

There’s been a few influencers-backlash stories lately and I think the media is loving it, great for click bait, influencers are ten a penny and all do or say dumb tit. Everything is about to go a bit recessionary this year and nobody will have time for boss babe insta huns. This could be the year....
I thought 2020 was going to be the year, I thought we would have no appetite for boss babe insta huns in a pandemic but they all blooming flourished 😂 it does feel like there is a lot more discontent and backlash going around at the moment. I also hope the tide is turning....

• Heart
Reactions: 64
I don't wanna be a dick, but I can't help but feel that if you saddle your poor kid with a name like Molly-Mae...she's not gonna grow up to be a doctor, is she? Not even an honourary double doctor like Jack.

On topic: throwback to the time Jack told readers to cook lentils for 12 hours. Tinned lentils. AKA lentils that have already been cooked, and are ready to eat.
🙃

Those lentils have the same 24 hours in a day as molly mae and they choose to spend half of that turning into turgid cement at a cost of 29p + the gas/electric = £7.57 now that’s working harder than other lentils

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 88
Anyway MMH is about 22, she’s had a backlash for not understanding her privilege because she reckons she’s worked her arse off to get where she is now. It’s a curious concept that people with little life experience who haven’t experienced any setbacks are encouraged to think of themselves as deserving due to “hard work” rather than “pure luck” or “structural racism and inequality working in their favour”. Oh well, MollyMae has years ahead of her to learn. Fack, meanwhile, at this big age and still wanting applause for doing a widdle in the potty.
Ooooo soooo early, bookmark

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
Anyway MMH is about 22, she’s had a backlash for not understanding her privilege because she reckons she’s worked her arse off to get where she is now. It’s a curious concept that people with little life experience who haven’t experienced any setbacks are encouraged to think of themselves as deserving due to “hard work” rather than “pure luck” or “structural racism and inequality working in their favour”. Oh well, MollyMae has years ahead of her to learn. Fack, meanwhile, at this big age and still wanting applause for doing a widdle in the potty.
Reminds me of this

Attachments

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 62
I love it because Jack did have everything handed to her as a kid (and still does) and would have been able to make her 24 hours into something that people in poverty wouldn't, but instead she ballsed it right up and is forever bitter about it.

If she starts spewing about being poor today in response to MMH I'll scream. MMH probably comes from a poorer background than Jack...

• Heart
Reactions: 38
I've just been on Twitter to check out the Molly Mae thing. People are calling influencer culture right wing (at last) and in no way comparable to jobs such as nursing , emergency services etc. Also transpires MM took 500k from the sweatshop outfit PLT whilst their workers were forced to work through Lockdown 1 and they only earn £3.35 an hour. Like Jack, MM does not recognise her privilege and she has a pretend job (influencer) but thinks that she got rich due to 'hard work'. It's pretty insulting to the front line workers. But I'm so glad people are seeing it at last. I would love to see influencers become extinct, they are all out for money and the grift.
I'm sorry but how does selling crap to strangers hardwork they are no better tha. Door to door sales ( And they don't even have to yomp from door to door) selling complete crap. Can proudly say I've never bought a think from an insta Hun, wouldn't waste my cash!

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I think we should stop calling them influencers and bring back peer pressurers, snake oil salespeople, flim flam people, manipulators and good ole con artists as the appropriate terminology. When you think about it, influencers is a pretty ropey term anyway.

• Heart
Reactions: 69
I don't wanna be a dick, but I can't help but feel that if you saddle your poor kid with a name like Molly-Mae...she's not gonna grow up to be a doctor, is she? Not even an honourary double doctor like Jack.

On topic: throwback to the time Jack told readers to cook lentils for 12 hours. Tinned lentils. AKA lentils that have already been cooked, and are ready to eat.
🙃

12 hours! They would become a congealed and sentient pulse monster, ready to take over Southend and pollute the sea.

• Haha
Reactions: 25

🙃

I'm sorry but ....

Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 09.04.12.png

You spend 12 hours cooking these things and before you serve you .... drain all the flavour from them? And then what? What happens with the stuff that's drained? Down the plughole? I truly do not get it.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 66
Jack would love it round my ends today, btw, it's a total winter wonderland ❄❄❄. She'd be outside scampering down the pavement in her bare feet before getting a splinter or something and spending the next 2 days howling in agony.

• Haha
Reactions: 44
12 hours! They would become a congealed and sentient pulse monster, ready to take over Southend and pollute the sea.
This reminded me of Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes. I wonder if Jack remembers that cartoon (from looking it up it was early 90s in the US, I'd have seen it mid 90s, most likely).

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I think we should stop calling them influencers and bring back peer pressurers, snake oil salespeople, flim flam people, manipulators and good ole con artists as the appropriate terminology. When you think about it, influencers is a pretty ropey term anyway.
The word influencer just makes me think of the cult guy who got loads of people to drink poisoned kool aid and they all died. Forgotten his name and have no idea how to use google.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 31
The word influencer just makes me think of the cult guy who got loads of people to drink poisoned kool aid and they all died. Forgotten his name and have no idea how to use google.
Jim Jones. There's a brilliant 2 part Storyville documentary on him called Terror in the Jungle, which is more like a horror film.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
This tweet is is in response to an empty shelves / Brexit post. It is, I think, meant to be sarcastic. Little do they know ....

Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 09.38.38.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 54
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.