Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Why bother to say that a recipe can "easily be made vegan" when it objectively can't?

I'm an omnivore and have no serious allergies so in theory I CAN eat anything, but there are various (loads, I'm quite picky) of things that I prefer not to eat. If I come across a recipe for, say, mushroom and courgette omelette with black pudding I'll just go "not for me thanks" and look for a recipe that uses ingredients I do like instead. I could sub out the mushrooms, courgettes, eggs and black pudding for different ingredients, but why would I bother? Plenty of other recipes out there. Same goes if a recipe calls for a particular type of kitchen gadget that I don't have, or expensive ingredients, or not-very-versatile ingredients that only come in huge packets. I'll just look elsewhere, right?

There are so many decent vegan recipes, you would just skip past an unveganable dairy-heavy one, wouldn't you? (100% vegan Frauen, please say if I am being insensitive?)
Reminds me of this

Screenshot_20220109-172315_Chrome.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 104

colouredlines

VIP Member
Serious question though, has Jack ever addressed how the yes you can sufficiently and healthily feed your family for £20 a week stuff feeds into the ‘if you’re poor you’re just not trying hard enough’ narrative that is so prevalent in this country?
This is a really interesting line of questioning. I've just finished diving through some newly-unearthed Jack archives (that have resurfaced due to her website issues, lol), and this is the issue that plagued her early career.

2013 was very clearly the year Jack peaked - her blog was booming and she got loads of media attention. This is from January, a feature in a local newspaper:

Screenshot_20220102-091500_Chrome.jpg

Here she's clearly saying that you can live well on a tiny budget. But a couple of months later, she did the Live Below the Line challenge (in fact, she did it twice!) which involved spending just 1£ a day on food, and apparently it left her malnourished and ill:

Screenshot_20220102-114851_Chrome.jpg

Her USP is (allegedly) healthy, nutritious food on a microbudget, but she also wants to say that you can't eat good food on a microbudget! And yeah, this has always been at the heart of her career, and she flies into a rage whenever anyone questions it.

Incidentally, in 2013 she went to a ton of conferences and panels - it was clearly her career peak, and she's been going downhill ever since. And frankly, she fucking well deserves to, because after one conference she came out with this:

Screenshot_20220102-131644_Chrome.jpg

Well then surely Frank can go to Sainsbury's and rustle up some kale pesto like Jack, can't he? No? She is such an insufferable, self-centred cunt, utterly blind to her own privilege.

As an aside, seasoned Jack-watchers will recall this gem:

028FA094-341E-45CE-9D4A-0D49A2CEECD7.png

How does this fit with the timeline of media attention and fame throughout 2013? I can't say. Records do not suggest that she ran out of her Telegraph interview early, crying, "Sorry Xanthe, got a punter in 20 min!" nor that she filled her handbag with canapes when she spoke at the Conservative Party conference that year. And shame on the Southend Echo for nor paying their journalists enough to even buy food!

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 94

Saint_clemmie

VIP Member
She's talking about Molly Mae Hague, she's also liked an anti-influencer tweet. You still can't sit with us, Jack.
I haven’t seen the context, but Is she annoyed at an uneducated, not well thought through comment from a privileged, middle class, influential minor celeb?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 93

fauxpoor

Dropping this into who fucking knows?
As some of you know I am a genuine food bank/ social supermarket user.
I haven’t posted my provisions recently, so here are photos of today’s free donated items. I am always very grateful for what is available, especially good when fresh produce is amongst my rations.
Jack Monroe wouldn’t know what it’s genuinely like to be in this position and I appreciate the help and acknowledge that many many families are in a much worse position than I am.
Anyway, apologies for essay, off to grunt once I have plopped an inexplicable egg into my yoghurt.
030B766C-0E0B-49D9-8C9D-51F37B66AEC8.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 91

Alansbigplate

VIP Member
I don't wanna be a dick, but I can't help but feel that if you saddle your poor kid with a name like Molly-Mae...she's not gonna grow up to be a doctor, is she? Not even an honourary double doctor like Jack.

On topic: throwback to the time Jack told readers to cook lentils for 12 hours. Tinned lentils. AKA lentils that have already been cooked, and are ready to eat.
🙃

Those lentils have the same 24 hours in a day as molly mae and they choose to spend half of that turning into turgid cement at a cost of 29p + the gas/electric = £7.57 now that’s working harder than other lentils

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 88

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
Anyway MMH is about 22, she’s had a backlash for not understanding her privilege because she reckons she’s worked her arse off to get where she is now. It’s a curious concept that people with little life experience who haven’t experienced any setbacks are encouraged to think of themselves as deserving due to “hard work” rather than “pure luck” or “structural racism and inequality working in their favour”. Oh well, MollyMae has years ahead of her to learn. Fack, meanwhile, at this big age and still wanting applause for doing a widdle in the potty.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 82

EddieBeds

VIP Member
Don't know if you were around for when this genuinely chilling tweet was uncovered ....

Imagine if a man had left these instructions for Louisa to follow - the Twitter consensus on it wouldn’t have been ‘oh haha isn’t it funny’ I think it would have been ‘this is really controlling and a red flag’. How more people didn’t just see Jack as the twat she is with this is beyond me. I can’t imagine a friend going ‘look at these instructions my partners left me’ and not being concerned.

• Heart
  • Angry

bowiethesdmn

VIP Member
No matter what she makes for her lucky guest, I'm sure it'll include a serving of Fuck Me Sauce on the side.

View attachment 973868

Do we think she'll be able to hold back on asking them to move in until after dessert? That rent won't continue to pay itself...

Given the occasion it might be a full on pleather catsuit tonight. With that cursed cat balaclava thing that still pops up in my nightmares from time to time.
I wonder if it's called 'fuck me sauce' etc because that's what people exclaim when they eat it and she's just wildly misread what they actually mean

• Haha

EddieBeds

VIP Member
She's talking about Molly Mae Hague, she's also liked an anti-influencer tweet. You still can't sit with us, Jack.
Not defending Molly’s comments but a bit rich coming from Jack who cosplays as poor to grift and has shown multiple times they are not hard up! Count the bloody sideboards for a start let alone the curtains, Christmas decs, other branded tat and the fact they can misplace a laptop for weeks on end and not be concerned!

ETA: plus every other contradiction that’s been noted on 200+ threads here.

ETA: Including living with someone on a £250k salary but claiming poverty/£20 shops that feed Jack’s Tory mates rhetoric.

ETA: And another thing before I stop adding edits (soz I’ve got the rage) - Jack has never suffered due to their class. They grew up in comfortable middle class privilege as well documented. Jack may have had a small period of ‘poverty’ but again due to their class/privilege didn’t get levelled with the shit that most experiencing it for real do.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 81
I've just been on Twitter to check out the Molly Mae thing. People are calling influencer culture right wing (at last) and in no way comparable to jobs such as nursing , emergency services etc. Also transpires MM took 500k from the sweatshop outfit PLT whilst their workers were forced to work through Lockdown 1 and they only earn £3.35 an hour. Like Jack, MM does not recognise her privilege and she has a pretend job (influencer) but thinks that she got rich due to 'hard work'. It's pretty insulting to the front line workers. But I'm so glad people are seeing it at last. I would love to see influencers become extinct, they are all out for money and the grift.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 80