Jack Monroe #23 Life would be so much easier if everyone was a chronic optimist.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Good news from our queen Alexis. Just watched her stories. Sounds like a couple of brands she called out (NOT Hellmann's) have actually contacted her! I really hope she gets some work out of it.

One thing that has become very obvious through this JM/Hellmann's collab is how there are thousands of really great cooks who are natural presenters and communicators out there, many of whom happen to be POCs. And they deserve a platform, regardless of whether they have contacts in the world of food or have been to the Leith's or whatever.

If you don't already follow Alexis, check her out at alexis_adjei

Have also found this gem - I want to eat everything he makes! plantcrazii

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 27
Hello Jack / Jack’s friend / Jack’s lawyer,

I haven’t given up on you yet. I think with some prep you can vastly improve your next Hellman’s show. It was not a good watch - your anxiety and flustered manner were distracting and uncomfortable. You won’t like hearing that, however you won’t improve unless you listen to constructive criticism.

Here’s my advice for next week’s show:

1. As soon as possible confirm with Hellman’s the theme of the show, what recipes you will cook, the guest, and what Hellman’s products you need to be promoting. Don’t invent a new recipe or go off piste. Pick something you know is popular and appealing.

2. Make a list of ingredients and equipment you need for the recipe. With a checklist. Include every single thing needed - even down to the last teaspoon. Check you have everything, do not assume. This needs to be completed by Sunday eve at the latest.

3. Monday. Set up a new private Instagram account to test your tech and get familiar with using the live function. Add some friends and Hellman’s contacts. Get a good night’s sleep.

4. Tuesday morning. Avoid your social media. You don’t need to be distracted by it all day. If you worked in an office you would not be allowed to tweet constantly. Fulfil any contractural obligations you have for promo before 9am. Then put phone away. Then call your contact at Hellman’s. Check no details have changed and everything is ok at their end.

5. Do at least 2, preferably 3, dummy runs during the morning. Do the whole thing as though you are acting a play and speak it out loud. Mime the cooking so as not to waste ingredients. This should take you 2 to 3 hours and will be invaluable. Ensure you hit the points that Hellman’s want you to make. Did you include their products and mention the benefits of them?

6. Lunchtime. Have a break. Get your outfit ready for the live.

7.check your tech. Using the test Instagram account you set up. Do a live and check you can go live with guests and know exactly which buttons to press. Iron out any issues. Set up tripod. Check camera angles are good. Take photos of set, is there anything in shot that shouldn’t be?

8. Lay out all equipment and ingredients. Use your written checklist. Put everything out in order it will be needed. Cook anything that requires pre-cooking.

9. Run through any parts again that you think need more work. Or do another full dummy run

10. Go for a walk with your kid / have a cuppa / snack / take some time out to relax.

11. Get changed into your outfit. Do a couple of breathing exercises / anything that helps calm your anxiety.

12. Go Live. Do not tell anyone how nervous you are. Smile big.

13. Debrief with team straight afterwards. Listen to feedback.

sorry for long post guys. I just get so frustrated watching and think with some better prep she could do much better. If she’s being paid at least £10k it’s not unreasonable to spend one full day prepping. Her other work needs to be scheduled on other days of the week and Tuesday devoted to Hellman’s.
This is great advice, why her 'team' aren't having discussions like this with her I don't know. There's some really simple prep she could be doing that would make things so much smoother and easier for her.

I hope she does go back to blogging for a bit. I think keeping her head down, having some quiet time, and writing - which she is far better at than all these other ventures - would be good for her. Especially if she has gone through a break up, the time out will be more beneficial than launching herself publicly from one "chaos" to another.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Another announcement that she’s leaving Twitter “for a while” ie a day, followed by her fans fawning, we love you Jack, feel better etc. It’s just so tiresome at this stage. I would like to see her take a break for her own sake but we all know she can’t survive without the attention it brings.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Another announcement that she’s leaving Twitter “for a while” ie a day, followed by her fans fawning, we love you Jack, feel better etc. It’s just so tiresome at this stage. I would like to see her take a break for her own sake but we all know she can’t survive without the attention it brings.
I never understand when people put these heartfelt, pained farewell speeches on social media. I haven't posted anything for like 3 months and no one has questioned me 🤣
It's purely attention seeking isn't it? Who gives a tit if you don't post for a few days, I mean commmmme onnnnn

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Her new best friends are just like how she would 'bat with the fire of a thousand suns' for Matt who took a social media break for the duration of DKL......

She forges these friendships with the intensity of a 14 year old with low self esteem.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
And her dad having 'a funny sounding surname' didn't stop him progressing
It's not exactly hard to pronounce either, like she sometimes implies.

I'm guessing this time it's to attach herself to the whole racism issue since her BLM thing sucked big time!

Reactions: 5
She’s off on one and I can’t read them all and they’ll inevitably soon be deleted. Thing is she makes me angry even when she’s cicling the point, but it’s always about her. Infuriating.
This happens when book sales are slow (in my opinion only)

Reactions: 3
I never understand when people put these heartfelt, pained farewell speeches on social media. I haven't posted anything for like 3 months and no one has questioned me 🤣
It's purely attention seeking isn't it? Who gives a tit if you don't post for a few days, I mean commmmme onnnnn
Or just say you're busy over the next few days so you don't need to sad fish? As I can understand people might wonder where she is?

Reactions: 6
I would like to see her take a break for her own sake but we all know she can’t survive without the attention it brings.
She should just delete her account and get on with living out of the spotlight. The more she witters on twitter the more bad publicity she will get and the more she will blame others for it.

Reactions: 9
A lot of that sounds genuine. It's hard enough to get a job in a pub kitchen on potwash without being expected to do stupid arse hours and put up with all sorts of bollocks from the chefs - been there. They're twats. It wouldn't have been doable with a very small child unless the other parent or a family member was prepared to have the kid all night at varying times, every weekend, bank holiday, special Sunday, etc, etc. And the level of banging out twenty grand on a course immediately excludes the sort of people the existing writers, chefs, critics and suchlike don't want contaminating their nice, cozy bubbles - women, poor people, ethnic minorities. Even the person she's talking to is suggesting that she got the money from a redundancy payment. And could presumably afford to live at the same time, buy tools, knives, ingredients, home facilities, etc, which means she had access to in excess of thirty grand in the bank. I've only ever qualified for redundancy once. Three and a half grand, which went on paying the bills until the first salary went in from the next job - no enrolling on the course I'd always wanted to do whilst there were bills to be paid.

There are huge barriers to women and minorities entering catering if you're not looking for a dinner lady position or can set your own up. And like it or not, her birth name is foreign, which does make a difference to people - plus, it is a very pretty name, so that conjures up associations of a little blonde girl and therefore assumed to be unlikely to cope in difficult situations. So misogyny and racism is believable in terms of CVs. I have omitted my middle name because of classist assumptions about it, too.

I don't see it being an issue if she chose to use her birth name again. I think it would be a perfectly reasonable and understandable thing to do and might be (if she decides it is right for her) good for helping her make peace with her past. I don't think it would make a difference to have A Girl Named Jack by Mellissa Hadjicostas written on the cover, for example.

She's not comfortable in her own skin. She needs to be. Not looking for identity from the people at The Groucho, not looking for ways in which fundamentally exclusionary groups would then embrace her as belonging. Not looking for labels. That'll give her the inner calm that would allow her to get her tit together and perform.

Even now, I'm suspicious of what these new people are. PR types are all very able to come across as your Best Friend in the world Forever. It's literally their job to do so. They are turned out from the same mould which brought us David Cameron and many, many other politicians and SpAds. They're the people who sold the idea of fat, healthy, happy babies on formula in countries where there is no access to clean, safe water and the cost of formula meant women would water it down to make it go further. PR types sold the idea of disability being a failing in moral fibre. PR types sold the idea that Monsanto and GM/weedkillers/pesticides/etc were the answer to world hunger. It's a job where The Brand is more important than anything else. Including people who trusted them.
Yeh I totally get it, but there are unofficial ways you can teach yourself from YouTube videos etc.. as she doesn’t even use recipes she doesn’t seem particularly interested in learning imo

Reactions: 4
On the subject of name changers, I see that attention seeking lying bleep and serial criminal Stephen Yaxley Lennon is back in the news.

• Angry
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
duck knows ' I have my theories, but as I have no evidence only pure speculation, I'm not going to to post them here.
I think it’s just a similar thing to changing her hair tbh (albeit on a bigger scale) like many people do after a breakup

And her dad having 'a funny sounding surname' didn't stop him progressing
I also think In some areas (especially food related ) “foreign sounding” names actually are more of an advantage than anything (not saying this is for most areas though )

It’s so tiresome. They always skulk back on by the evening without mentioning it and get lots of “oh you’re back! I’ve missed you”. FFS.

This break will be over quicker than her “Tuesday blackout”.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
She's done this multiple times and has never lasted that long. I understand doing it in case people worry about her. But if you're going to publicly do it then stick to it!

Reactions: 5
So does she have an issue now with the surname change? Hence the dropping of it? Or is it another attention bid 🤷

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.