Jack Monroe #23 Life would be so much easier if everyone was a chronic optimist.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also her rant about people using substitutes in her recipes (absolutely toe curling to watch) - doesn’t she usually say you can use ANY oil and ANY veg and literally replace ANYTHING with ANYTHING so what the duck is she on about?
she complained about that and then changed chetna's recipe by covering n mayo and addng crispy onions or something

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Looool I think this was me! I had two of them, both vax via Amazon.

The first was Vax Dual Power Carpet Cleaner 2.7 litre, 800W (it’s grey and orange) and doesn’t have the attachment. If you just want to do carpets it’s fab, it’s discounted I think from £180 to £115 odd? I think the “body” of the device is exactly the same as my second one so unless you specifically need the attachment just go for this. Also you can do rugs etc and they come up looking brand new from the shop, I was considering retiring a 4/5 year old rug before using this!

The second was the Vax Dual Carpet Cleaner, 2.7 litre, 800 W grey (it’s blue and grey in the pics). This is the separate attachment to do upholstery or little bits, which is actually bleeping brilliant I thought it’d be a bit of a gimmick? I did the sofa with it and it smells SO fresh when you sit down now & looks newer. It’s really convenient for little patches too, annoyingly our cats are often sick and I just turn it on and blitz the patch. We have a built in carpet welcome mat bit by the front door and I’ve done some of the grubby bits on that too. It would work on stairs but depending on how tall/robust you are you may need a second person to help carry the body of the unit, I’m only 5 foot and would feel at risk of falling down the stairs with it tbh?

Sorry for the essay haha but I definitely think it’s a worthy investment, around here it’d be a few hundred quid to get a couple of rooms done professionally and I know they use a better machine but our house isn’t that high traffic so I’d rather have something convenient I can use regularly for spillages or cat sick.
Yassssss. I came for the JM chat, but stayed for the appliances and I’m glad I did!

Before we go any further, just wanted to check if you forgot to mention that this is an #ad for Vax? I know how easy it is to do hun.

In all seriousness, thank you. I’ve been going round in circles on Amazon (best option for me as lots of places still shut down here) wondering what to get. They all look pretty bulky and same-y, but what I definitely need is a decent handheld tool because it’s my sofas that are driving me up the wall with their current shabby unchicness. My toddler has been smearing god knows what over them, and they could definitely use a freshen up.

I was wondering whether to go for one of the spot cleaners, but realistically I can envisage having to clean up lots of unmentionables from the carpet as we begin to navigate toilet training, and one of the big yokes would do the job more quickly. I’m also a shortarse so will make sure that Mr Alpha pulls his weight!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
(sorry someone did mention this pages back, but it takes a while to digest everything on here). I'm seething how unprofessional the FB/Instagram strategist (chronic optimist?) was to post a Story how we've been trolling her "talent" over Hellmams.

No, no, no. We were simply asking for clarification over how risky it was for JM to postpone the IG live. It's bullshit to suggest we were trolling her. I bet you JM told the same tale to Alexis, how the trolls twist her words and she's the innocent victim here. Seething.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
She didn't need to do a Leith's course for 'legitimacy'!! She just needed to actually, you know, get a job in a kitchen? Like most people do? And learn that way and work her way up.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I've just got round to watching the insta video and I cant believe how woefully underprepared Jack was, I mean if I was to turn up to my job so badly unprepared and unready I'd be lucky if I still had a job by the end of it.

Even if you were to ignore the first 10 minutes of video of her muttering to herself and sorting everything out ...(which she'd had all day to do!)
I just cannot bloody believe she didnt even have a decent knife handy to start with, I mean surely if you are cooking that's got to be one of the main essentials to have standing by?!

I loved Chetna though, she was brilliant so calm and soothing and knowledgable Jack/Helmans should be doubling Chetnas fee for the amount of carrying the show she did 🤣
Every time I looked at it... I scrolled through.... Jack wasn’t even on screen ... presumably doing a chaos in the corner 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
https://www.leiths.com/professional-courses/leiths-international-diploma-in-food-and-wine
Possibly this? Certainly more than we've ever had to live on, but they have a huge range of courses which would 'legitimise' her for varying amounts of £££
Exactly. They do intermediate courses which cost half this. She's a business and surely she could claim back costs via her business account anyway? Or take out a business loan if she felt it would benefit her 'brand'

• Heart
Not the full thing, but there are courses and JM of course did get 24 grand from KH, plus monthly patreon and paypal. She can afford a course or two, to learn how to cook.
Exactly. They do intermediate courses which cost half this. She's a business and surely she could claim back costs via her business account anyway? Or take out a business loan if she felt it would benefit her 'brand'
Absolutely. Or get her arse down to the local training college and do a course there. Not as ritzy as Leith's, but even a proper celebrity like James Martin did his time at the one in my old town of Scarborough.

Reactions: 16
Absolutely. Or get her arse down to the local training college and do a course there. Not as ritzy as Leith's, but even a proper celebrity like James Martin did his time at the one in my old town of Scarborough.
Most local colleges have evening or weekend cooking classes for not a lot of money. Wonder why she never took one. Probably easier to sling slop in a bowl and call it food.

Reactions: 8
Yassssss. I came for the JM chat, but stayed for the appliances and I’m glad I did!

Before we go any further, just wanted to check if you forgot to mention that this is an #ad for Vax? I know how easy it is to do hun.

In all seriousness, thank you. I’ve been going round in circles on Amazon (best option for me as lots of places still shut down here) wondering what to get. They all look pretty bulky and same-y, but what I definitely need is a decent handheld tool because it’s my sofas that are driving me up the wall with their current shabby unchicness. My toddler has been smearing god knows what over them, and they could definitely use a freshen up.

I was wondering whether to go for one of the spot cleaners, but realistically I can envisage having to clean up lots of unmentionables from the carpet as we begin to navigate toilet training, and one of the big yokes would do the job more quickly. I’m also a shortarse so will make sure that Mr Alpha pulls his weight!
Aaah a toddler, yes it 100% sounds like you need the second one with the attachment! It sounds wasteful I bought two but the first I lent out to a friend pre lockdown & couldn’t get back, we’re expecting and I kept seeing ads for local firms that do buggy & car seat cleaning for £50 a piece, you could likely do that stuff yourself with the attachment too so I figured just buy this you’ll recoup quickly, and gift the old one to MIL when I get it back. Tbh even re-reading the titles you can see they have the same litre capacity & wattage so surely they’re literally the same machine with different accessories?

I did wonder about spot cleaners too, especially as they’re easier to store nicely but our handheld vacuum is the worst of our set (I have 3 vacs, different purposes, plus I bleeping love vacuuming 😂😂) I just don’t think they can have the same suction power, and it’s important with the cleaners as you want them to be able to draw the water back up else you’ll end up with tide marks and a musky smell!

I promise I’m not sponsored by Vax, I won’t be dropping undeclared aff links on you all ala JM 🥴 Also with toddler, we’ve just got our carpets/floors done and I’ve kept all the excess and plan to put it under her cot and changing area etc, it’ll look like tit but I’d sooner have to clean poo out a scrap of carpet than the one attached to the floor for the foreseeable 😳 Most carpet shops will either give you off cuttings for free or like a fiver xx

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Victim of racism and misogyny, two boxes ticked in one go!
Hahahah of course she had to bring this up now! Must make sure people remember that jack and jack alone is the main victim or everything in the whole world ever

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Not the full thing, but there are courses and JM of course did get 24 grand from KH, plus monthly patreon and paypal. She can afford a course or two, to learn how to cook.
She couldn't and wouldn't take instruction - she would be a nightmare to teach, constantly trying to one-up everyone else and 'interjecting' her ideas.

Victim of racism and misogyny, two boxes ticked in one go!
to be fair to her, I can well believe that - in my younger days I had 3 CVs - so let's say for those of you that don't know me my name is Victoria - one had Victoria, one had Vikki and one had Vic - the Vic one got by far the best response and I have a bog standard English surname. This was around 1992 but I can't imagine things had changed that much by the time JackMelissa was looking for work

I mean, this just says it all.
apparently she thinks she never has to actually take the time to learn a skill or practice or prepare, it’s just everyone else’s job to let her turn up and fanny about or “learn on the job”

• Heart
Reactions: 12
"some people like to separate their work and home"
Er... She's set up a fake kitchen in her dining room. I would imagine that's created far more upheaval and chaos than just, yknow, cooking in your already established working kitchen 🙄
Even the people who stand up for her have lost all normality when it comes to Jack's life.
I cannot decide if this is everyone losing it in lockdown or hey would be like this regardless ?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.