Jack Monroe #23 Life would be so much easier if everyone was a chronic optimist.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t know the details of the KH case so won’t comment on that but the thing that stands out in my mind is the image of JM walking in or out of court with the aid of a stick. The same JM who lugs 18L of paint in a rucksack, who jumps around of her sofa in satin pj’s (the same sofa she rarely uses because she’s too busy working) and carries a 93kg (?) sideboard by herself.

Sorry M’lord but It just doesn’t add up.
Morning - I feel I need to drop in on this. Apologies for the essay, but it's important to me.

With inflammatory arthritis, you can have periods of remission and relapse if you're lucky. From the many photographs, her hands and feet do look fucked, albeit not in active disease as there is no swelling. One of the common medications, a DMARD called Methotrexate which is still used in much higher doses as a chemotherapy treatment, can and does cause at least some hair loss in many people. Uncontrolled inflammation is now known to affect mood in itself, rather than just as a consequence of being in pain.

It is also possible, particularly if you have periods of remission, to exercise, weight train and do a lot that means whilst you feel absolutely dreadful, you still have a lot of muscle mass and residual strength; you also get very good on posture. Interestingly, a lot of people experience remission shortly after commencing an entirely vegan/plantbased diet, but this doesn't tend to last because if you aren't absolutely 100% wanting to protect/save/whatever animals, it's still bastarding hard to do, it can be very triggering for disordered eating and like it or not, it's very, very difficult to keep vitamin and mineral levels up so you can end up with all sorts of deficiencies, including Vitamin D deficiency, which can mean you end up with something like osteomalacia, low mood and insomnia.

Consistent steroid use, whether oral (yuk), intra-articular injections (yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk) or through intramuscular injections (meh) that Rheumatologists can give you can be like magic energy meds as, within a short time, you feel bleeping invincible, but they have hidden costs - they also duck up your bone density in the long term and, in the short term can trigger hyper behaviour even without ADHD or bipolar as well as the natural human response of 'I can DO STUFF! Let's GO!' where you rush around doing eleven million things at once, eat all the food and become generally insufferable before they wear off or you inevitably damage yourself and crash again. If you add in a likely element of hypermobility (as per dancing), you have unstable joints, additional pain, clumsiness and more bastarding pain even when the joints themselves aren't inflamed.

Of all the stuff Jack gets the side eye from me about, I completely believe the RA. And it is very common for women to be told they have bipolar/depression/it's all in their head when they describe such symptoms as pain, tiredness, insomnia and lack of grip strength, so they acquire a mental health diagnosis or two long before anybody stops and actually books a few blood tests - being persuaded to take some antidepressants when you don't need them, you need something designed to damp down inflammation, is roughly the same as necking a handful of Ecstasy, just without the cool music - everything is too bright, too loud, too disorienting, and you go essentially batshit from lack of sleep and being pilled off your tits. Whilst your hands/feet/back/hip/knee/whatever still all hurt like duck.

And, of course, when you go back to the GP and tell them this, they first of all double/triple/quadruple your dose for 6-12 months before referring you on to a Psychiatrist, who never, ever thinks of anything other than mental health and how to medicate that. Bingo, bipolar diagnosis. Have some antipsychotics on top of Depakote. Don't read the side effects leaflet where it says that this can increase inflammatory processes in your body, whatever you do. And don't pay any heed to the leaflet on Tramadol where it says that can have exactly the same effect upon you as another handful of bad Es. Because you aren't depressed or bipolar, you have inflammatory arthritis that isn't being treated appropriately whilst they wank about with all this psychoactive tit to confirm their prejudices about women all being hysterical/mental.

If then, because you are naturally very suspicious of any medications, get to see a Rheumatologist who recommends some other medications that have serious side effects like sight loss, liver failure (so you mustn't drink), fatal infections or in the long term, cancer, you might be reluctant to take them. After all, everything else you've been told will work has hurt you. So you decline in favour of pain medication. BIG mistake. You're now chemically dependent on those and they aren't actually all that good at handling the sort of pain you have. Plus the Rheumatology Department discharges you as any GP can prescribe those. You're back to square one, only with mental health diagnoses, a note on your records that you could be exhibiting drug seeking behaviour and no access to say 'actually, I'd like to reconsider those DMARDs now' within under 9 - 12 months (new referral, waiting time, first appointment, return in 3 (knocked back to 5) months with test results, need to repeat tests because they're over 3 months ago, return in 3/5, try this drug and come back in 3, etc, etc.

Even with a pretty much lifelong history of having had inflammatory arthritis, I still encounter medical personnel who don't believe me. Woe betide anybody who says 'So, what makes you think you have something wrong with you?'. And God help the person who says 'Have you considered the possibility that you think you're in pain because you're depressed?'. Or, as you get older 'Have you heard of a condition called Fibromyalgia? It's completely untreatable so we'll diagnose it and discharge you'.

I was first diagnosed at age 6. I'm now 47 and have been on medication that helps a lot for one year. That's all. One year. It has taken over 40 bleeping years to get a Psoriatic Arthritis label which now means I have access to stuff that actually helps.

Feeling snappy and sarcastic where that's concerned is an entirely reasonable response.

However - that doesn't give me the right to be a dick to anybody else outside the 'It must all be in your head' brigade. I don't lie, I don't make everything about meeeee (except for this post, obviously), I don't intentionally risk my employment opportunities or spout off publicly about people far more powerful or influential than I am when it has negative effects upon my future employability. I come up with the goods every single time. I'm not late, I'm not absent, I'm not obviously angry. Because I still need a roof over my head, I still need food on the table and I need some sort of financial stability for the future. It's not my fault. But it's happened. So I deal with it, ignore as much as I can, learned some extreme diplomacy and interpersonal skills and I am damn good at my job. I'm also a bloody good musician and technician. And actor.

Staying outwardly calm and getting the job done is the key. I might feel like screaming into the void sometimes, but inconveniently, there is always somebody in the way if I want to. So I don't. Because it's not their fault.

Collapse and hide or moan in private. When it's showtime, you get your tit together and you give the people their show.

• Heart
Reactions: 75
What has poverty campaigner, activist, correspondent with the government regularly consulting her Jack done during lockdown?

Compared to a 22 year old Premier League footballer. She is a disgrace. Hanging on the coattails of others for attention when she had the same chance as everyone else to make a difference but unfortunately she couldn’t see past making it all about her.

View attachment 146194
You are so, so right. She’s not even given him a shout out or told her followers about his amazing work...

Reactions: 12
She is so rude. So bleeping rude. She actually doesn't deserve the platform she has. So bloody tetchy, she really isnt cut out for social media.

Someone threads ago recommended the Louis Theroux podcasts he is doing just now. I love Louis. He has one with Helena Boham Carter which is just wonderful. They talk about what gets written by people online about them and conclude that it is none of their business what other people think of them. So dignified and classy. So un Jack.

Why drive yourself mad seeking out stuff to wind you up?
I loved that podcast, they way they spoke was so dignified. A must listen to for many wannabe famous folk!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Staying outwardly calm and getting the job done is the key. I might feel like screaming into the void sometimes, but inconveniently, there is always somebody in the way if I want to. So I don't. Because it's not their fault.

Collapse and hide or moan in private. When it's showtime, you get your tit together and you give the people their show.
have no knowledge or anything to add, just wanted to say thank you for sharing this insight x

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Morning - I feel I need to drop in on this. Apologies for the essay, but it's important to me.

With inflammatory arthritis, you can have periods of remission and relapse if you're lucky. From the many photographs, her hands and feet do look fucked, albeit not in active disease as there is no swelling. One of the common medications, a DMARD called Methotrexate which is still used in much higher doses as a chemotherapy treatment, can and does cause at least some hair loss in many people. Uncontrolled inflammation is now known to affect mood in itself, rather than just as a consequence of being in pain.

It is also possible, particularly if you have periods of remission, to exercise, weight train and do a lot that means whilst you feel absolutely dreadful, you still have a lot of muscle mass and residual strength; you also get very good on posture. Interestingly, a lot of people experience remission shortly after commencing an entirely vegan/plantbased diet, but this doesn't tend to last because if you aren't absolutely 100% wanting to protect/save/whatever animals, it's still bastarding hard to do, it can be very triggering for disordered eating and like it or not, it's very, very difficult to keep vitamin and mineral levels up so you can end up with all sorts of deficiencies, including Vitamin D deficiency, which can mean you end up with something like osteomalacia, low mood and insomnia.

Consistent steroid use, whether oral (yuk), intra-articular injections (yuk, yuk, yuk, yuk) or through intramuscular injections (meh) that Rheumatologists can give you can be like magic energy meds as, within a short time, you feel bleeping invincible, but they have hidden costs - they also duck up your bone density in the long term and, in the short term can trigger hyper behaviour even without ADHD or bipolar as well as the natural human response of 'I can DO STUFF! Let's GO!' where you rush around doing eleven million things at once, eat all the food and become generally insufferable before they wear off or you inevitably damage yourself and crash again. If you add in a likely element of hypermobility (as per dancing), you have unstable joints, additional pain, clumsiness and more bastarding pain even when the joints themselves aren't inflamed.

Of all the stuff Jack gets the side eye from me about, I completely believe the RA. And it is very common for women to be told they have bipolar/depression/it's all in their head when they describe such symptoms as pain, tiredness, insomnia and lack of grip strength, so they acquire a mental health diagnosis or two long before anybody stops and actually books a few blood tests - being persuaded to take some antidepressants when you don't need them, you need something designed to damp down inflammation, is roughly the same as necking a handful of Ecstasy, just without the cool music - everything is too bright, too loud, too disorienting, and you go essentially batshit from lack of sleep and being pilled off your tits. Whilst your hands/feet/back/hip/knee/whatever still all hurt like duck.

And, of course, when you go back to the GP and tell them this, they first of all double/triple/quadruple your dose for 6-12 months before referring you on to a Psychiatrist, who never, ever thinks of anything other than mental health and how to medicate that. Bingo, bipolar diagnosis. Have some antipsychotics on top of Depakote. Don't read the side effects leaflet where it says that this can increase inflammatory processes in your body, whatever you do. And don't pay any heed to the leaflet on Tramadol where it says that can have exactly the same effect upon you as another handful of bad Es. Because you aren't depressed or bipolar, you have inflammatory arthritis that isn't being treated appropriately whilst they wank about with all this psychoactive tit to confirm their prejudices about women all being hysterical/mental.

If then, because you are naturally very suspicious of any medications, get to see a Rheumatologist who recommends some other medications that have serious side effects like sight loss, liver failure (so you mustn't drink), fatal infections or in the long term, cancer, you might be reluctant to take them. After all, everything else you've been told will work has hurt you. So you decline in favour of pain medication. BIG mistake. You're now chemically dependent on those and they aren't actually all that good at handling the sort of pain you have. Plus the Rheumatology Department discharges you as any GP can prescribe those. You're back to square one, only with mental health diagnoses, a note on your records that you could be exhibiting drug seeking behaviour and no access to say 'actually, I'd like to reconsider those DMARDs now' within under 9 - 12 months (new referral, waiting time, first appointment, return in 3 (knocked back to 5) months with test results, need to repeat tests because they're over 3 months ago, return in 3/5, try this drug and come back in 3, etc, etc.

Even with a pretty much lifelong history of having had inflammatory arthritis, I still encounter medical personnel who don't believe me. Woe betide anybody who says 'So, what makes you think you have something wrong with you?'. And God help the person who says 'Have you considered the possibility that you think you're in pain because you're depressed?'. Or, as you get older 'Have you heard of a condition called Fibromyalgia? It's completely untreatable so we'll diagnose it and discharge you'.

I was first diagnosed at age 6. I'm now 47 and have been on medication that helps a lot for one year. That's all. One year. It has taken over 40 bleeping years to get a Psoriatic Arthritis label which now means I have access to stuff that actually helps.

Feeling snappy and sarcastic where that's concerned is an entirely reasonable response.

However - that doesn't give me the right to be a dick to anybody else outside the 'It must all be in your head' brigade. I don't lie, I don't make everything about meeeee (except for this post, obviously), I don't intentionally risk my employment opportunities or spout off publicly about people far more powerful or influential than I am when it has negative effects upon my future employability. I come up with the goods every single time. I'm not late, I'm not absent, I'm not obviously angry. Because I still need a roof over my head, I still need food on the table and I need some sort of financial stability for the future. It's not my fault. But it's happened. So I deal with it, ignore as much as I can, learned some extreme diplomacy and interpersonal skills and I am damn good at my job. I'm also a bloody good musician and technician. And actor.

This is really interesting info, thank you x

Reactions: 13

An amazing read. Thanks for writing all of this. I hadn't commented on her RA claims, because I don't know anything about this disease, but like many other people here it seemed incredible to me that she could jump about like she did. It's really helpful to understand why that can happen.

Reactions: 20

Thanks so much for this, it’s really good information and I am so sorry you have had to go through all of this.

My Dad had psoriasis and Psoriatic arthritis and it was awful for him, and fairly constant. I think medications have improved incredibly over the last 20 years and I hope you can keep getting better treatment.

Genuinely think you should post this as an article somewhere because it is really informative (not the part about jack obvs).

• Sad
The part where she disappears as Chetna is leaving then suddenly pops back into frame again is really odd. Can’t fathom the purpose of that. Then she completely forgets what she’s supposed to say. It’s painful to watch.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
There's a further reply on Instagram to the person asking about her 'pretty functional' kitchen.

View attachment 146123
Jheez what a baby. Abuse and harassment? Come off it Jack. The majority of people kiss your arse on your socials and you ignore them unless they have a blue tick (🙄) If you go looking for it then quite frankly that’s on you. Someone many, many threads ago said that instead of #bekind it should be #befair and that’s exactly what this place is - fair! It’s a balanced and fair discussion on the things YOU put out there. Own your tit Jack and stop playing the victim, you can’t control people‘s thoughts and opinions on you and neither should you be able to. Why not take on board the things people say on here? Learn and grow from it instead of crying troll. Basically, grow the duck up love!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I really hope so. I feel there would have been a public thankyou if she had though 😢
Jack,put oir minds at rest and confirm you've sent her the book. I'm getting a bit invested, but duck it, I'd even pay for but it, genuinely, but is so important to her that it comes from you.

• Heart
  • Haha
Jack,put oir minds at rest and confirm you've sent her the book. I'm getting a bit invested, but duck it, I'd even pay for but it, genuinely, but is so important to her that it comes from you.
Especially when someone else a week or two ago tweeted her saying 'you've sent me two books by mistake!'
Can do that, but can't even manage to send her biggest supporter (who BTW has cut her hair the same as Jack 💔) one bloody book.
Breaks me heart actually.

• Sad
  • Heart
Hello ladies. I’m a long time lurker, first time poster. Obviously there’s a hell of a lot of material to get through relevant to JM, but at the moment what I really need to know is - what was the carpet cleaner someone recommended about ten thousand years ago??

I’m now surrounded by greenery whilst working from home thanks to you evil Tattlers, and have just downloaded my library’s app and discovered I can check out the latest Marian Keyes on audiobook. Amazing! You guys are so horrible, you’ve made my life way more comfortable during this weird time. Oh, and I’ve laughed out loud at tonnes of messages on here which I actually didn’t think was possible before!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 41
Hello ladies. I’m a long time lurker, first time poster. Obviously there’s a hell of a lot of material to get through relevant to JM, but at the moment what I really need to know is - what was the carpet cleaner someone recommended about ten thousand years ago??

I’m now surrounded by greenery whilst working from home thanks to you evil Tattlers, and have just downloaded my library’s app and discovered I can check out the latest Marian Keyes on audiobook. Amazing! You guys are so horrible, you’ve made my life way more comfortable during this weird time. Oh, and I’ve laughed out loud at tonnes of messages on here which I actually didn’t think was possible before!
Looool I think this was me! I had two of them, both vax via Amazon.

The first was Vax Dual Power Carpet Cleaner 2.7 litre, 800W (it’s grey and orange) and doesn’t have the attachment. If you just want to do carpets it’s fab, it’s discounted I think from £180 to £115 odd? I think the “body” of the device is exactly the same as my second one so unless you specifically need the attachment just go for this. Also you can do rugs etc and they come up looking brand new from the shop, I was considering retiring a 4/5 year old rug before using this!

The second was the Vax Dual Carpet Cleaner, 2.7 litre, 800 W grey (it’s blue and grey in the pics). This is the separate attachment to do upholstery or little bits, which is actually bleeping brilliant I thought it’d be a bit of a gimmick? I did the sofa with it and it smells SO fresh when you sit down now & looks newer. It’s really convenient for little patches too, annoyingly our cats are often sick and I just turn it on and blitz the patch. We have a built in carpet welcome mat bit by the front door and I’ve done some of the grubby bits on that too. It would work on stairs but depending on how tall/robust you are you may need a second person to help carry the body of the unit, I’m only 5 foot and would feel at risk of falling down the stairs with it tbh?

Sorry for the essay haha but I definitely think it’s a worthy investment, around here it’d be a few hundred quid to get a couple of rooms done professionally and I know they use a better machine but our house isn’t that high traffic so I’d rather have something convenient I can use regularly for spillages or cat sick.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Also her rant about people using substitutes in her recipes (absolutely toe curling to watch) - doesn’t she usually say you can use ANY oil and ANY veg and literally replace ANYTHING with ANYTHING so what the duck is she on about?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 26
The one good thing about the insta live is that it will make everyone a fan of whatever guest she has on, because they are all going to look amazing in comparison to her. I wish I had been watching Chetna make her own recipe!
And do the opposite for Jack. Chetna and Miguel's followers have probably watched in a totally wtf way and they won't follow Jack in return.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.