Jack Monroe #219 Why you sob? Russell Hobb

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The goop from the Aldi cannellini bean tin in my pantry is made of: water, salt, Antioxidant (300), Firming Agent (509).

300 is ascorbic acid
509 is calcium chloride

Nothing to worry about, but also nothing worth keeping

You're basically enjoying the taste of too much the salt, that's it
Plus the salt from the anchovies and the anchovy sour cream, no doubt she used smoked bacon, plus the salt shes added, she's an advert for unhealthy eating.

A tonne of salt in this plus a tonne of sugar in the prune poop

Last edited:
  • Sick
Reactions: 26
That sounds revolting.
she is literally like a parody account of food shows. “Home made vinegar”. Why? Just why???? Make it make sense.
I honestly wonder what is wrong with a bottle of Sarsons? 85p for 250ml. Or Asda’s own 29p for 568ml. Why do you need to dick about making your own?!

Reactions: 33
That sounds revolting.
she is literally like a parody account of food shows. “Home made vinegar”. Why? Just why???? Make it make sense.
There is nothing sweet to balance out those flavours. It will be a car crash.

Acid + acid + salt + salt + heat + salt + acid + bitter + sour + salt + acid

I can’t even see any Unami there.

plenty of the eighth flavour of the world- goop.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 39
One singular crispy anchovy does not make a meal.

As a young person in the 90s and 00s I was exposed to a lot of unsettling body imagery and disordered eating, like Beyoncé cayenne pepper syrup cleanse and this all looks very odd. Training in nutrition as well…

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
One singular crispy anchovy does not make a meal.

As a young person in the 90s and 00s I was exposed to a lot of unsettling body imagery and disordered eating, like Beyoncé cayenne pepper syrup cleanse and this all looks very odd. Training in nutrition as well…
This is pure speculation on my part, but in the same way that those with ED spend hours baking for others and watching food programmes as a way to being in control while others eat, the course on nutrition may be a further sign of this. It could be a way for someone who is in the midst of a phase of disordered eating further exert control by finding a way to excuse their behaviour to everyone around them because now they have “science and knowledge” on their side.

Furthermore, excessive use of low-calorie condiments (vinegar, chillies, hot-sauce, lemon juice, pepper), is a well known sign that someone is suffering from an ED as it allows them to eat larger quantities of low-calorie food that will fill them up (such as lettuce).

Of course she may know all this and be doing it as a trigger.

• Heart
Reactions: 55
Jack: “Food is my love language*”

*except when I refuse to make roast potatoes on CHRISTMAS DAY, instead serving grey carrots and sprouts from the slow cooker and SmartPrice Yorkshire puddings from the freezer.

Seriously, she needs to admit that food isn’t her love language, it’s a mechanism to control, manipulate and punish people around her. I don’t know how she’s come out of this huge stint in therapy with this commitment to self-care through food without a therapist actually questioning why a person with a clearly disordered relationship with food is clinging onto a career in it without any evident enthusiasm other than for the social media engagement that food in particular garners. Like, these therapists have just not done a good job, sorry.
Part of the problem though is therapists can only work with what they're being told. Treatment/therapy doesn't tend to work with narcissists because they will not accept that they are at fault, or responsible for anything wrong in their lives. Usually they will present to a therapist their version of events only, and their inability to self reflect and work on themselves means that everyone, and everything else gets blamed and nothing changes with them.

Basically it's highly likely she's fed them a load of old cobblers and used therapy as a sounding board for all the ways in which she has been wronged. It's really no surprise to see her acting in exactly the same way as always. 😕

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 42
I really dislike lettuce. I don't dislike much food but lettuce when browning or soggy/ slimey or accidentally heated give me the heaves, combined with dry beans and odd-hued celery PLUS anchovies, bacon and bean GOOP makes the back of my throat hurt.
It looks really shite. The colours are vile like: you go to a restaurant when you're tired, starving, been walking around for hours and have committed wholeheartedly to this quirky little place, and they bring out the menu featuring photos of the food and you have to make the best of a bad job because you're already on your last nerve but don't want to spoil the occasion for anybody else
😌🥰

• Haha
Reactions: 28
Hasn't she previously said how important it is to rinse your tinned beans thoroughly? (It isn't but I'm sure she was under this illusion fairly recently).
I bet she has Dyno rod on a retainer. the amount of stuff she rinses, and results of the revolting recipes, her drains must be a nightmare

• Haha
Reactions: 34
I bet she has Dyno rod on a retainer. the amount of stuff she rinses, and results of the revolting recipes, her drains must be a nightmare
OTOH it's not like she's passing any solids so it's not as if "that's" going to block her drains.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
The way the concoctions are described, there's always this particular structure that gets me.
They start of with the introduction of an accessible idea of a quick and delicious meal with achievable plausible maybe even appealing ingredients*, but then comes a drastic interjection of a disgusting improbable and inconceivable element like some sludge something's nestled in or globs, then theres a breathless recollection of a heptathlon of involved cooking methods and processes- say including pickling, frying, whisking, finely dicing, aerosol spraying. And then after all that there's a tiny patch of obliterated food on a saucer overshadowed by archeological cutlery to show for all of it.
I'm so drawn to food writing I can't help imagining as I read it, and Jack's descriptions are a juddering disorienting experience.

*admitting here I'm more partial than most to tinned fish- sorry I think somehow I make this disclosure every other post

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.