Jack Monroe #219 Why you sob? Russell Hobb

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love salads. But dear hearts, it is autumn now. And a chilly one at that. Perhaps a salad with lambs lettuce, pursalane or mizuna (fancy, I know), some shredded red cabbage, roasted pumpkin or beetroot, finely sliced fennel and toasted walnuts or pumpkin seeds. Lighlty dressed with a dressing made with olive oil, orange juice, agave or maple syrup, salt and pepper. That's the type of salad for this season. And no dish should ever contain deep fried tomatoes (unless they are battered green tomatoes, but that's a whole other thing).
This paragraph of description is more appetizing than anything Jack has ever cooked in the entirety of her 'career'.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
i read a few recovery ed sms back in the day, as i wanted to better understand how people lived with eds. She reminds me of them a bit, they used to eat small portions of calorie dense food.

Reactions: 19
262E8577-A1A1-4517-91C5-A1DB178D9666.jpeg
FCE9D3B4-477E-4419-AF8C-F208972B245F.jpeg
Wonder if Jack has tickets in exchange for a hand-printed lithograph of the garden.

• Haha
Reactions: 46
Must be so infuriating for someone like Jack.
She doesn’t give a tit. She really doesn’t care about anyone but herself, like there’s been times I’ve thought oh maybe I shouldn’t have divulged so much on here and I do double check comments on AA to make sure it’s in line with traditions/yellow card (and I also flag that there’s no such thing as a universally held opinion, ask 100 ppl you’ll get 100 answers) and she’s out here telling young women that if you attend a meeting you’ll be groped.

It’s infuriating that she continues to use AA as yet another woe is me prop, she’s already done damage at the level of national press like when is enough enough for her with this topic? Her appetite for self pity & grifting is seemingly insatiable.

Also that salad was vile what’s wrong with a dash of fresh lemon juice and a bit of salt on some tomatoes? Heaven!

• Heart
Reactions: 53
I love salads. But dear hearts, it is autumn now. And a chilly one at that. Perhaps a salad with lambs lettuce, pursalane or mizuna (fancy, I know), some shredded red cabbage, roasted pumpkin or beetroot, finely sliced fennel and toasted walnuts or pumpkin seeds. Lighlty dressed with a dressing made with olive oil, orange juice, agave or maple syrup, salt and pepper. That's the type of salad for this season. And no dish should ever contain deep fried tomatoes (unless they are battered green tomatoes, but that's a whole other thing).
Depends if you like your salads with a side order of lesbianism and murder, I suppose.

see the novel / film Fried Green Tomatoes

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Surely though, if she’s attending these meetings and not making it up (which is 50/50 at the moment) the group leader has a responsibility towards the people in the group for their welfare. I’m thinking about how I would feel if I had shared with the group and JM just decided to either put it in a tweet or a diva.pdf for her own gain and sympathy from people. There must be hundreds of ‘famous’ people in rehab or group meetings that we don’t know about as they choose not to broadcast it and it’s in the rules not to. People will stop attending, imagine going and taking that first step and being overpowered by Jack and her steady stream of narcissism, her experiences are worst - I can imagine the leader needing an eye roll reaction as she continually pushes her narrative whenever they’re asked for someone to tell their story. I would never share a thing with Jack in the group as quite simply she’d take the story and make it her own on Twitter for attention.

One things for certain though, if that AA group had a group chat I would bloody love to be in it.
You raise so many valid points and I wish I could have this conversation with you IRL. I’ve never wished for a voice note function on tattle but this would defs suit one!

In short, it’s a very challenging situation and not very clear cut and as a young(ish) woman in the rooms is something I think is a fault with them, in honesty. I’m an AA evangelist but you have to remember these were spaces carved out by men for men in America in the early 1900s, so safeguarding young women (or anyone who wasn’t a white straight man lol) wasn’t a priority when writing the ~founding texts~. The secretary and other senior members don’t rule with an iron fist & there are regular group consciouses to discuss matters of like communal well being, as well as local and regional and national meetings and a head office to seek advice from. Some groups do it better, I’d imagine a LGBTIA+ group would be more open in their interpretation of texts and tit hot on it than a west London old school meeting for OG old timers? But even saying that feels like a disservice as largely everyone is very open to safeguarding the new comer. And I love my OGs!

I can’t say what happened for obvious reasons but I’ve been in different meetings where issues of individual and group safety have been flagged. I’ve flagged things. But they do have to go through a process of handling it, and usually that starts with talking to that person about the concerning behaviours to try and help them as usually it’s a sign of some form of emotional distress, or maybe that person isn’t aware of their actions’ impact on others? And I do agree that everyone deserves a shot and I’m glad AA doesn’t just abandon people, but I have also felt unhappy in the handling of some situations. But would I have been able to do better? Probably not - plus I’m not God or the boss, none of us are, and you are welcome to leave at any point if you feel unsafe / not go back to that meeting too. Like we are responsible for our feelings and what happens to us, in the same way I’d get off the tube or speak to the person next to me if I felt unsafe I have left meetings or sought comfort from an old timer if I’ve been distressed by something I’ve heard. Unfortunately it’s like any situation in life, you may not like what you hear or see.

In a way what Jack is doing is worse, though. Again can’t compare and contrast as that entails divulging details but someone in the throes of a rock bottom “acting out” is challenging to be around but at least you can see it for what it is and have empathy for them. A grifter trying to sell these stories to the guardian to buy a USB mirror from Harrods is just beyond my comprehension. I can’t understand where her anti AA vendetta is from?

Also sorry to be typing so much on this, defs would like to hear what my recovery comrades have to say on this all ❤

Hello, if you are comfortable answewring, what is an 'AA biopic' and what is 'the yellow card rule'? I tried googling the first question but not the second. Thank you for all your sensible challenges of the riduclous stuff Jack writes. X
Sorry yet another comment! There’s no such thing as an AA biopic sorry I meant as in, why you’ve not seen a Hollywood adaptation of the founding of AA, or why you don’t see a reality tv series or a mockunentary style show because to be involved in creating one would go against the traditions, so you wouldn’t! Yellow card rule = “who you see here, what you hear here, when you leave here let it stay here”. It’s read out at the end of meetings and out of context it could look like trying to silence people from speaking out about bad things but it’s not, it’s basically to keep rooms a safe space for everyone.

I’m gonna get a tattle ban for these essays sorry 😳

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 75
One thing is for certain though, she needs stopping.

I can’t imagine people would stay in her group for long, even with her stint in voluntary rehab it ended with her becoming the mother hen and some miraculous transformation signified by wearing colour again. She makes serious situations like AA and therapy sound so twee and like it’s a day out, I seriously doubt she was ever an alcoholic, just someone who drank too much occasionally but Jack being Jack always has to be the worst of everything. She’s a vile, narcissistic predator. God help her next lesbian meal ticket.

• Heart
Reactions: 59
One thing is for certain though, she needs stopping.

I can’t imagine people would stay in her group for long, even with her stint in voluntary rehab it ended with her becoming the mother hen and some miraculous transformation signified by wearing colour again. She makes serious situations like AA and therapy sound so twee and like it’s a day out, I seriously doubt she was ever an alcoholic, just someone who drank too much occasionally but Jack being Jack always has to be the worst of everything. She’s a vile, narcissistic predator. God help her next lesbian meal ticket.
It definitely doesn’t all add up. There’s a lot of mythologising about the “vulgarities of fame” with this Groucho rock n roll (cringed writing that x) spiral into a lonely personal turmoil that entails chucking things or demanding too much from low salaried publishing employees, just all a bit wanky really. You’d honestly think she was Ian Curtis reincarnate the carry on of it all.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
Afternoon you lovely ninnies! I'm just about to shop for the salt and vinegar sardine spag creation abomination, but not sure if those lil fishies would have originally been in oil or brine. What shall I plump for please? Thankyou.

ETA On a grunk - apologies for where this has landed.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 42
I have a new conspiracy theory that SB’s dad might live/ stay/ eat at the crappy bungalow sometimes. Remember when she said he was single ‘as far as she knew’ and they were co parenting (and going on caravan holidays). Someone must have looked after SB during rehab and when she was ‘at conference’.

• Wow
Reactions: 34
Afternoon you lovely ninnies! I'm just about to shop for the salt and vinegar sardine spag creation abomination, but not sure if those lil fishies would have originally been in oil or brine. What shall I plump for please? Thankyou.
Knowing Jack and her love for it. I’d say oil but who knows. Jack is fast and loose with her recipes, you could use strawberries instead and she’d be fine with it.

• Haha
Reactions: 44
I think we've all suffered enough but I won't lie, Saturday night was entertaining AF 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 43
It looks like some sort of grubs. It’s put me off celery that’s for sure, it is celery isn’t it.
I think it's celery. It looks unpleasantly congealed though. I simply cannot imagine what it's been put through to end up looking like that.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
Just wanted to say that I read Jack’s account of alcoholism and AA before Tattle and - having alcoholics in my close family - none of it rang true but it also had this weird effect of confirming some biases I had: everyone is meetings is old, there’s creepy men, it can be sketchy af, not super effective (given her constant talk of slipping up).

Since reading Tattle and the honest, caring accounts of @heretoreaditall2019, @LennyBriscoe and many other lovely Frauen und Herren, these myths have been totally dispelled and it actually feels reassuring to know that if I ever need to I could go to a meeting and engage with the process, and if I emerge even half as thoughtful and empathetic as you guys that’s a win.

It’s been said better up-thread but the entire thing is self-promotion, just as everything she has ever done. She doesn’t care about the poor or the hungry or alcoholics, it’s just about enriching herself and continuing the public exposure which gets her noticed among a band of sycophants who ask her how to pickle something rather than googling (or just… knowing that it’s vinegar, sugar and salt?!?!)

• Heart
Reactions: 71
I think it's celery. It looks unpleasantly congealed though. I simply cannot imagine what it's been put through to end up looking like that.
Can you imagine that sliding down your throat, on second thoughts don’t.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.