Jack Monroe #213 Something for nothing is her USP

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Another thing that possibly suggests she isn't the primary parent.

Sounds like a potential Scouse insult.
Yer Ma puts bacon on porridge! šŸ˜‚
Everything Jack does is potentially a Scouse insult in relation to food, where she escapes it is in relation to clothes
Yer ma boils apples and porridge in the slow cooker overnight works
Yer ma buys her knickers in the Lidl does not

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
View attachment 814112View attachment 814113

A tale of Christmas told twice. In the first she couldn't even afford SB a present, yet, in the second telling she could afford 'cheap lager' for herself. She's a walking hypocrite. She is playing into the propaganda that people in need of Food Banks are lazy slobs, spending their benefits on anything but food, because they can always use a food bank.

Want to be careful with how I phrase this so I donā€™t sound like a Tory lol - but one year olds donā€™t need presents or faff Iā€™m sorry, I know hun mums will say ~but I remember~ but come on choosing to do solitary confinement because you canā€™t post a present haul on Facebook is so weird. I know a lot has changed re: consumerism and sustainability in the last 10 years but I know a lot of mums not buying anything for their 1x month olds because thereā€™s actually very little they need out of the day to day (clothes, one favourite teddy, etc, etc) at this point.

Makes as much sense as her downing Ā£3.95/l milk for sustenance

• Heart
Reactions: 60
View attachment 814112View attachment 814113

A tale of Christmas told twice. In the first she couldn't even afford SB a present, yet, in the second telling she could afford 'cheap lager' for herself. She's a walking hypocrite. She is playing into the propaganda that people in need of Food Banks are lazy slobs, spending their benefits on anything but food, because they can always use a food bank.

Why didn't she go and spend Christmas with her family???

• Heart
Reactions: 49
i dont begrudge anyone a tipple, a bet on something, a ciggie or otherwise i do take issue though with people who would rather spend their last quid on cheap and nasty beer to pity themselves than buy their child something they need. A child needs are more important than self pity.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
i dont begrudge anyone a tipple, a bet on something, a ciggie or otherwise i do take issue though with people who would rather spend their last quid on cheap and nasty beer to pity themselves than buy their child something they need. A child needs are more important than self pity.
Exactly my feelings on it. The couple of quid used for the lager could have bought a cute teddy bear from charity shop. Something is better than nothing.

Also agree with @heretoreaditall2019, one years don't even remember their first Christmas! Tying in to @Veronica above comment too, surely Jack's parents would have wanted to celebrate with them?!

One last thing; when Jack walked out of the fire service, SB was 20 months old. Why was she so poor during their first Christmas?

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 65
Itā€™s true many parents I know will buy a one year old a token present like a character toy or outfit and not bother getting anything else, because a) the kid has no idea anyway b) friends and family will buy ā€œstuffā€ and little kids donā€™t really need an excessive amount of toys and gifts. Make the most of it before they grow bigger and start wanting branded this and that which ā€œeveryone getsā€ like Lego or Marvel or Hello Kitty or whatever (very much Transformers and My Little Pony back in my day)

• Heart
Reactions: 30
I usually spend my Christmas with family and I manage to get drunk on cider and wine.
My logic is that if she is a problematic drinker and her family know this, they may have kept an eye on her drinking and stopped any pity party. Also itā€™s not as sad a story for the media to go to your family for Christmas.

Reactions: 29
My logic is that if she is a problematic drinker and her family know this, they may have kept an eye on her drinking and stopped any pity party. Also itā€™s not as sad a story for the media to go to your family for Christmas.
Indeed, I being somewhat facetious.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
My kids never got Xmas presents from us as babies- they got loads from family, and we were short of money at the time so spent it on the mortgage, food, electricity etc.

Reactions: 28
Why didn't she go and spend Christmas with her family???
That is the point where her whole poverty story becomes so disjointed.
Now she bangs on about the close relationship with her family and SB's dad. Yet from her descriptions they would all appear to be utter uncaring bastards.
Why did she never pop round to her parents for meals? They all lived near didn't they? Why didn't her parents ever call on her and see the state their grandchild was living in?
Why did she sell her toddler's shoes for food instead of asking for help? She said 'when I reached rock bottom I called my Mum' - but why selfishly wait that long when she had a small child, and help ready and available?

All possible I'm sure, but if that was me it would be a part of my life I would want consigned to history. I would occasionally look back and think 'what the duck was I thinking. How did I handle it all so badly'.
I certainly would not make a career out of it and look upon it with a certain pride.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
Am I mistaken but wasnā€™t there a Christmas pov story where she was living with ā€˜5 housematesā€™.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.