Jack Monroe #210 Granola provider? Not so much

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m sick of Jack continually piping up with this “look what I can buy for £20” angle. It’s so reductive and depressing and stupid.

Politics isn’t my strong suit but I believe that everybody has a right to a certain standard of living. If someone qualifies for extra money they should have it and it’s nobody else’s affair how it is spent.

£20 could be internet access for children to keep up with homework or for a disabled person to work from home, fuel or fare for someone to get to work or school or just out of the house, heating which not only keeps the house warm but also enables someone to dry their washing in winter , or simply an upgrade from yellow stickers to a nutritious meal that everyone will like.

Oh to hell with you Jack. Im away for a piss and a sandwich.
This is totally it, her 'niche' is about spending less for FOOD (which is always a bit of a dodgy message in itself, even at the best of times). She doesn't suffer from being low-waged so she has absolutely no decent, usable advice for anyone who is already living on the poverty line. I mean, her paid-for Octopus energy 'advice' was to know what you're paying for, rather than, say, finding out if you're eligible for a warm home discount, just as an example. She's not on benefits so she has no freaking idea about such things which is why her little media appearances and 'viral' twitter threads have no purpose other than muddying the already-muddy waters and positioning herself some sort of pov champion.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
We've all seen her tiny portion sizes. That basket does not represent "an entire weeks worth of food", especially considering her son isn't there for at least three nights a week.

Reactions: 33
I was asleep until very recently. Ok so there are lots of things people on UC could be spending the £20, I get that the “visual”of a £20 shop is one way to show that but FML we are getting “stuck” on that.
The point is UC was only £320ish per month. The government upped it to £403 in the pandemic.
They didn’t increase legacy benefits/ESA which disabled people receive AFAiK they didn’t say why
The benefits are not enough to live on-they never were, the uplift helped so many people because £403 is more livable than £324
A better illustration would be an actual person showing the difference the the money has made whilst they had it ie more fruit and veg, debt repaid, heating on last winter

• Heart
Reactions: 45
She’s only posted that now because it was over an hour since any comments on her Tattle thread.

Got to admit I did look at some of those comments on the GMTV Tweet and they left me feeling dirty. I am shocked that so many people feel this way, it’s sad.

No mention of being at Tory conference though 🧐

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.