Jack Monroe #210 Granola provider? Not so much

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
View attachment 796475
You can probably tell from the writing style, but the squiggle is Roadside Mum. I know she has her own thread but I wasn’t sure. Interesting how she’s still curating a relationship with Jack, she’s very savvy and I assumed she would have done a bit of research on her.
I believe the cabal 'solved' Christmas if you are on a budget last year. There were lots of good tips, such as

Supermarkets (Aldi, not Waitrose) Christmas dinners (not lux range) work out reasonably cheap and are completely non-faff.
Instead of a roast, cook a different meal altogether that your family loves - doesn't have to be traditional Christmas dinner if it stresses you out/is too expensive.
Don't buy gifts for anyone but your own children.
Don't do Christmas cards (or do Christmas e-cards)
Particularly for young children, get presents from charity shops or FB marketplace (loads of good quality stuff out there, also much more eco-friendly).
Remember, no one would want a card or gift from you if they knew it meant you couldn't pay for heating/food/etc., so let go of the guilt, etc.

However, while this may 'fix' the day for anyone struggling financially, it doesn't address that people in the UK, one of the richest countries on the planet, can't pay for bills and struggle to buy food. That's the real issue. That's what needs fixing. Tips of turning parsnip peels into a vegan main are NEVER the solution.

• Heart
Reactions: 57
Anyone that shares that Express and Del Monte sponsored Christmas meal for under twenty quid has never cooked it, or even read the recipes. They are paying lip service to the Conservative narrative that you can get by on the cheap so stop moaning.

Anyway - we know that Roadside Mum won’t dream of eating that lard based mess herself. She will just tweet out a sob story about one of her kids “forgetting/being too lazy to put away the shopping” on the 23rd Dec so it’s all ruined then her supporters will CashApp her money to cover the expense of a feast. Well, that’s what she has done previously, anyway.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 46
I feel quite ish about Ruby. On the one hand, what she's doing is very good, and she does write well, but on the other, she still often comes across as a rather petulant little girl.
She really hasn't changed a bit since Bake Off. The huffing, moaning and eye rolling drove me mad. I've always wanted to like her, but I just can't warm to her whingey vibe. Her latest book is such a clever idea and looks really well researched. I can see it being used for people with learning diabilities or autism which is SUCH a huge gap in the market. Major kudos for that.

Reactions: 28
Instead of a roast, cook a different meal altogether that your family loves - doesn't have to be traditional Christmas dinner if it stresses you out/is too expensive.
This is what we do at home now every year after a couple of Christmas Dinners just ruined the day for me trying to organise everything. Now we have "Christmas fajitas" or "Christmas breakfast burritos" which outrages all of our friends and family 😂

But really and especially if you have kids - not everyone even likes the full dinner and trimmings and you end up buying and cooking 5x the food you actually eat on the day. There's no pressure to have a traditional meal if nobody cares for it and you'll all just eat it out of obligation. Better to have an amazing Christmas Pizza that everyone loves and save your money and time.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
Shes just a mouth piece, everything she says or does is just a rehash of earlier work, today i have see more relevent activism on my commute than she has done in months.

She also contradicts herself wildly. Didnt say say a while ago how horrid it was to walk around with a shopping trolley full of smart price shite and now she claims that what you can buy for the extra £20 pound.

None of whats in her basket looks like it would make one decent meal nevermind 7 for multiple people, plus i wouldnt class her as knowing how to concoct a decent meal. Unless its various snotty eggs placed on top of food that can be found in a septic tank in the height of summer.

Last edited:
  • Sick
Reactions: 24
This is what we do at home now every year after a couple of Christmas Dinners just ruined the day for me trying to organise everything. Now we have "Christmas fajitas" or "Christmas breakfast burritos" which outrages all of our friends and family 😂

But really and especially if you have kids - not everyone even likes the full dinner and trimmings and you end up buying and cooking 5x the food you actually eat on the day. There's no pressure to have a traditional meal if nobody cares for it and you'll all just eat it out of obligation. Better to have an amazing Christmas Pizza that everyone loves and save your money and time.
Good idea. And this year I don't want to get into fights for turkeys and whatever shortage food there will be. We also have a tradition of a late Christmas Eve trip to supermarket. Stuff is very cheap.

Reactions: 21
View attachment 796475
You can probably tell from the writing style, but the squiggle is Roadside Mum. I know she has her own thread but I wasn’t sure. Interesting how she’s still curating a relationship with Jack, she’s very savvy and I assumed she would have done a bit of research on her.
Am I insane for thinking that 20% of your low budget Christmas shouldn’t be spent on cards and paper?!
Here it is!
Where’s the protein in this? This can’t be a weeks food shop there’s no “mains”?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 51
Am I insane for thinking that 20% of your low budget Christmas shouldn’t be spent on cards and paper?!

Where’s the protein in this? This can’t be a weeks food shop there’s no “mains”?
We know SB lives with his dad now, so that's a week worth of food for Jack alone.

What's her deal with the big packet of crisps with every shop too? Does she think poor people live off crisps?

She is so disingenuous, it really makes me rage. And I bet she hasn't washed her manky fisherman jumper either.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
I think it is incredibly dangerous to go on national TV and state £20 will feed an adult and a teenager for a week

it simply plays into the narrative benefits are sufficient and that the issue is large screen TV and Sky subscriptions

I don’t get why RSM isn’t calling her out on this given the vitriol she directed to a journalist who did similar

• Heart
Reactions: 52
I think it is incredibly dangerous to go on national TV and state £20 will feed an adult and a teenager for a week

it simply plays into the narrative benefits are sufficient and that the issue is large screen TV and Sky subscriptions

I don’t get why RSM isn’t calling her out on this given the vitriol she directed to a journalist who did similar
I hate to sound like an utter tory bastard, but the £20 uplift was a temp measure for those who found themselves in trouble during the lockdowns, the people on benefits before covid didn't get it. It was always meant to be short term. Like furlough.

Why isn't Jack campaigning for ALL benefit claimants to get the uplift? All she is doing is repeating Tory rhetoric that poor people waste their money. I really do hate this woman. She is such a charlatan. Why does she keep getting airtime and opportunity? It is disgusting.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
Shes just a mouth piece, everything she says or does is just a rehash of earlier work, today i have see more relevent activism on my commute than she has done in months.

She also contradicts herself wildly. Didnt say say a while ago how horrid it was to walk around with a shopping trolley full of smart price shite and now she claims that what you can buy for the extra £20 pound.

None of whats in her basket looks like it would make one decent meal nevermind 7 for multiple people, plus i wouldnt class her as knowing how to concoct a decent meal. Unless its various snotty eggs placed on top of food that can be found in a septic tank in the height of summer.
#thread title snotty eggs placed on top of food that can be found in a septic tank in the height of summer.
or shortened version there of

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 15
I guess the basket of food is a good visual tool to illustrate the loss of £20 in a figurative way. Shame it’s far off being realistic, and for the people who it should be affecting in terms of enacting a u-turn in rescinding the top up - they won’t give two shits.

It’s frustrating that she is wheeled out and over and over again - but it’s just lazy researching that leads to this - she’s one of the ‘known’ and easily available faces for this issue. Le big sigh.

• Heart
Reactions: 41

That basket would need to contain 28 pieces of fruit, just for two people to have two portions of fruit a day for a week. It quite clearly doesn't. Nevermind the 42 portions of vegetables that are missing if you want to feed two people five a day (2 fruit/3 veg) for a week.

I don't know why I do this to myself, but I've just calculated that to arrive at the MINIMUM fruit and veg requirement of 5 a day per person, at Asda you'd spend £7.50 for a week. That would be for apples, bananas, a mango, potatoes, carrots, onions, frozen peas and spinach.
This clearly isn't very varied and also wouldn't yield lots of meals. You'd need a bunch of other stuff to make it tasty an filling and you'd be bored if that's all you had week in week out. All other veg are considerably more expensive, so to get to the required portion size, it would quickly be more than £7.50.

• Heart
Reactions: 40
That basket would need to contain 28 pieces of fruit, just for two people to have two portions of fruit a day for a week. It quite clearly doesn't. Nevermind the 42 portions of vegetables that are missing if you want to feed two people five a day (2 fruit/3 veg) for a week.

I don't know why I do this to myself, but I've just calculated that to arrive at the MINIMUM fruit and veg requirement of 5 a day per person, at Asda you'd spend £7.50 for a week. That would be for apples, bananas, a mango, potatoes, carrots, onions, frozen peas and spinach.
This clearly isn't very varied and also wouldn't yield lots of meals. You'd need a bunch of other stuff to make it tasty an filling and you'd be bored if that's all you had week in week out. All other veg are considerably more expensive, so to get to the required portion size, it would quickly be more than £7.50.
Technically potatoes aren't considered part of the five a day group.

• Sad
Reactions: 28
I found a street food bank last week, outside someone's house. Anyone can take or leave food, toys and books without having to go through the usual channels. Never seen anything like it before!
Off topic, sorry, does anyone know how one would go about setting up something like this? I will Google obviously, but this and a community library have been on my mind for some time.

Back on topic, would she have been paid to appear at conference?

• Heart
Reactions: 16
251BFFF3-A7C2-4A9C-95C7-19D4E3E169A0.jpeg

Don’t these squiggles realise she can’t get to cheaper shops like Lidl as it’s too far to walk and there is absolutely no public transport in Southend?!

• Haha
Reactions: 50
Last night I had a stress dream involving our very own Jackie (and no, she wasn't chasing me down a hill dressed as an enormous anchovy).

In the dream, I (for reasons I hope my subconscious never makes clear) was a Jack Monroe impersonator and was invited to audition to play the leading role in the Hollywood adaption of her life story (whether June Whitfield was attached to the project in the dream is, sadly, unclear). When I turned up to audition, the producers were under the impression I was Jack and, rather than come clean, I went along with the misunderstanding and was cast in the role, with the filmmakers trilling it would be the first time someone had played themselves in the movie of their life.

After this, I just remember feeling deeply, deeply troubled that I was eventually going to be outed as an imposter and was psyching myself up to tell the producers the truth. MERCIFULLY, I woke shortly after and didn't actually have to go through the wretched thing.

0/10 - I hope never to have this dream again (and any dream-readers, clairvoyants in this thread, please don't tell me what it means, I really don't want to know what my subconscious self is trying to alert me to).

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 36
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.