Jack Monroe #210 Granola provider? Not so much

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh it wasn't directed at you or your post in particular, it's just something I've been thinking. I find the lack of updates on there (for nearly a year) very suspicious, and I don't know how Patreons work really so it's more of a general question!
Yes, no worries. No snark intended by my reply! Just ensuring one’s backside remains adequately clothed.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
The playground pants pulling analogy is awful, same as when people revel in what could happen to people who go to prison in the local newspaper comments. You don’t make people better/ learn lessons by assaulting them, you generally make them double down and hate more.
She made light of SB getting punched in the face starting big school, but if you read the old transitioning interviews, Jack says he was punched in the playground with slurs being said about her. (I don't want to repeat the word).

I don't get the playground bullying schtick. From all evidence that Jack has presented herself, she seems like she was a bully, thinking she was best in the class and/or better than her foster siblings. Ergh, I bet she was an absolute tattle to the teacher too!

• Sad
Reactions: 44
I am sure that when she says "pull their pants down in the playground" after the nervous laugh you can just hear someone saying "you're not allowed to use that analogy" in a very disapproving voice.
They absolutely did around the .47 second mark! And bloody good for them; aside from being crude and inappropriately vulgar, it is a cruel, bullying act of aggression that really happens in schools (to my own tween nephew in fact) and it’s vile.

So glad that anonymous man spoke up! Jack Monroe is clueless, gross and woefully inadequate at every gig she’s given 😡

Grow the F up, Jack!

• Heart
Reactions: 52
It's strange considering her son has just started big school. You would have thought she'd be more sensitive to horrible playground bullying like this. Oh, what am I saying, it's Jack we're talking about here.
Jack reminds me of a lot of people I've met in my line of work/being out and about in bars encountering (generally quite tiny) arseholes that will happily shout the odds and threaten you with shin-kickings but wilt like a variety of interchangeable herbs when you actually take them up on it. She has Smol Pixie Syndrome. I've found the people who are capable of doing damage or in Jack's case charity/political work tend to keep quiet and avoid violent rhetoric.

She has something to prove but she can't.

Reactions: 26
Jack reminds me of a lot of people I've met in my line of work/being out and about in bars encountering (generally quite tiny) arseholes that will happily shout the odds and threaten you with shin-kickings but wilt like a variety of interchangeable herbs when you actually take them up on it. She has Smol Pixie Syndrome. I've found the people who are capable of doing damage or in Jack's case charity/political work tend to keep quiet and avoid violent rhetoric.

She has something to prove but she can't.
She is the worst sort of Campaigner. The joys of sm is anyone can screech into the void about injustices, but to actually bust your balls and make a difference doesn't happen. Theres always excuses to ill health, not a wide enough audience, not enough funding. The reailty is they want to get the praise for being a campaigner yet cannot be arsed to do the work.

If she really wanted to help, she would ensure she has made her expected contributions in full, she would volunteer her time and her platform to highlight the issues, she would fundraise for charities to help, she would petition the government appropriately and not pick fights.

If she was serious about helping these points above would be a good place to start, but slop slinging and fist waving is all she is capable off.

Just to add on, look at MR and Tk, they are volunteering their time for the full time meals thing. MR has talked to boris and co on how they can all move forward not to mention everything else he has done.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
All I heard during that conference clip was HONK HONK HOOOOOONK, something about bare arses and exhalations either of amusement or a release of cringe energy from the filmer. Grim. The thumbnail is also absolutely terrifying.

View attachment 790434
I’m sorry, I’ve tried to hold this in for as long as possible. I’m getting these vibes from the conference look and I don’t know why
5710E95B-B47A-4488-9751-61C483CB91A1.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 60
Is there a possibility she's providing her patrons with stuff without it being made obvious on her Patreon account? I ask this not because I have any confidence that she'd do this, it's just strange that there aren't any public complaints from them.
It's unlikely but her Patreon does mention postcards and photography so there is a possibility she has sent her patrons a postcard each month. But if she was doing that she would be shouting about it, saying how great she is and aren't her patrons lucky.

I highly doubt many of her subs are higher than her minimum £3.50 - that's quite expensive for Patreon. I subscribe to someone for sewing patterns and they have 2 tiers - £1 and £2. The only other person ice seen with a Patreon for food (mentioned here and on the RSM threads) advertises hers at £1 a month, and at least her food doesn't look like slop. £3.50 for Jack's is extortion in comparison.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I highly doubt many of her subs are higher than her minimum £3.50 - that's quite expensive for Patreon. I subscribe to someone for sewing patterns and they have 2 tiers - £1 and £2.
Oh can I ask about the sewing patterns? Who is it please? Sorry for derail!

Reactions: 9
🚓 Initial patreon drop update! 🚓

From 277 down to 261 which is -16, or -5.8% which iirc is our highest churn % to date? Assuming a v low avg sub fee of £6.00 and a v high platform fee of 12% this would be a bare minimum of £1,378 of Opal fruits for our least favourite tax evader. Nice work if you can dodge it ey fraus x

Will get you the full table in the AM ✨

ETA - in all seriousness I’m guessing the avg sub fee is quite a bit higher as I can’t see how she’s sustaining her current setup with just the odd third sector talk. Assuming an avg sub fee of £20 with 12% fees that’s £5,593 which is more in line with rent, bills, and hotels in London.
Brilliant- this may be the “yearly subscription” cliff edge I’ve been praying for.
ETA false alarm, never mind

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
There's a really good column about food and class in today's guardian, the author of which has received this reply on twitter. Remind you of anyone?!

Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 11.25.59.png

ETA oh I still have my hat! Must say I think it suits me.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
It's unlikely but her Patreon does mention postcards and photography so there is a possibility she has sent her patrons a postcard each month. But if she was doing that she would be shouting about it, saying how great she is and aren't her patrons lucky.

I highly doubt many of her subs are higher than her minimum £3.50 - that's quite expensive for Patreon. I subscribe to someone for sewing patterns and they have 2 tiers - £1 and £2. The only other person ice seen with a Patreon for food (mentioned here and on the RSM threads) advertises hers at £1 a month, and at least her food doesn't look like slop. £3.50 for Jack's is extortion in comparison.
Her patron page sets out the subs from £3-for which you receive “a general feeling of doing good” £7, £10 up to £20
The patreon page hasn’t been updated in nearly a year
Friends of frau who signed up to postcards at £10 per month have never reported receiving them prior to January then she went fully bonkers then to London for “treatment” the backlog is currently around 48 postcards

You can see the prices, and that there were no posts since Nov 20 by looking at the website

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 34
£10 a month for postcards and no postcards for 48 months? £480 for postcards is a lot but to receive none??? I don't really know how patreon works but can't she be reported to trading standards or something for not delivering products paid for?

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Her patron page sets out the subs from £3-for which you receive “a general feeling of doing good” £7, £10 up to £20
The patreon page hasn’t been updated in nearly a year
Friends of frau who signed up to postcards at £10 per month have never reported receiving them prior to January then she went fully bonkers then to London for “treatment” the backlog is currently around 48 postcards

You can see the prices, and that there were no posts since Nov 20 by looking at the website
Didnt the post office tantrum start over patrons too?

Reactions: 27
£10 a month for postcards and no postcards for 48 months? £480 for postcards is a lot but to receive none??? I don't really know how patreon works but can't she be reported to trading standards or something for not delivering products paid for?
£10 a month for weekly postcards- thrifty shades of beige. Never a one sent since the start of it in October 2020.

No, we’ve been through this many times before, Patreon isn’t purchasing a product, their terms of service are that you speak to the artist if you’re unhappy, ultimately you can cancel your sub if you’re unhappy

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
I know the Patreon numbers are slowly falling, but, why so many subs still? Do people just sign up and forget/never check their account?

• Sad
Reactions: 27
Didnt the post office tantrum start over patrons too?
Do you know I can’t recall- the OG post office issue was the “heavy books” too heavy to carry to the post office for our smog pixie that was from the Kickstarter disaster, then in Lockdown1 the post office apparently told Jack not to be turning up posting things at the post office because “covid” but then she did post monster munch to Australia and Royal Mail had tv adverts that they would collect parcels from your home free of charge so...
Insert “therefore, who bleeping knows” credit - Kachoochoo

• Haha
Reactions: 41
I know the Patreon numbers are slowly falling, but, why so many subs still? Do people just sign up and forget/never check their account?
I suspect that's exactly what's happening. People are paying £3 or £7 or £10 monthly and are not checking their statements. They are clearly well-off enough not to notice. Truth is, I wouldn’t notice £10 a month either in my cash flow, but I check my statements regularly. I think lots of people don't. I have an ex who proudly used to shred bank statements without opening them. He was a knob in many ways, hence ex.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
Yeah it's really really weird and I say that as someone who has a particularly inappropriate sense of humour at times (that i keep to myself and close friends instead of broadcasting at conference)
I’ve been thinking about that, and the fact she may have been a last minute replacement for someone else. I’m almost 10 years older than our plucky heroine (I was NOT born in 1968) and if I’m asked to do something important, I like to stick to the following simple rules:

* dress smartly and appropriately. If it’s a smart/casual then jeans and a nice top, matching bag and shoes or jewellery - I wouldn’t want to particularly stand out, especially if it was a panel type situation

* turn up appropriately early. Not exactly sure where I’m going? The internet is my friend. Travelling? Get the best train even if I have to stop my Dino nap with the shrill of 1 of 6 radios coming on as an alarm call

* wasn’t first choice this time? If I’m happy with that and still want to take the job then make sure you’re top of the list next time. Small circles I would think so word could spread quickly “honestly, you should’ve seen the state of Lenny when he turned up. I don’t think he’d ironed his clothes, he’d made minimal effort with his hair and he kept trying to pick bits of Opal Fruits out of his back teeth”

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 47
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.