Jack Monroe #203 Found a packet of pork mince

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm sure the 'come to bed concoctions' must have Valium crushed into them.
Sorry but if my husband said lets go to bed carrying a pan full of something that looks like the dirtiest toliet in scotland( one for trainspotting fans) i would have to pass on him and rethink my life choices.

• Haha
Reactions: 49
I stand corrected on the burger front. 😖😂

Simple recipies for people strapped for cash in my own humble opinion would be things like mince and tatties, cottage pie( same thing just constructed) stews/ casseroles etc things you can batch cook and freeze leftovers for another day.

Everything she makes are in such small portions it would barely feed two people with minute appetites.

The reality is she knows it will be foul and like manc bee has said she never uses fresh ( so perhaps before ocado delivery) she uses odds and sods in the hope she will discover something. Never does it goes in the bin she throws out a pic and a recipie and eats something ready made.

Simple recipies for people strapped for cash in my own humble opinion would be things like mince and tatties, cottage pie( same thing just constructed) stews/ casseroles etc things you can batch cook and freeze leftovers for another day.

Everything she makes are in such small portions it would barely feed two people with minute appetites.

The reality is she knows it will be foul and like manc bee has said she never uses fresh ( so perhaps before ocado delivery) she uses odds and sods in the hope she will discover something. Never does it goes in the bin she throws out a pic and a recipie and eats something ready made.
As I've said before, you can make 5 portions of cheap bolognase for about £3.50 if you use tinned mince and tinned mushrooms. Two large jacket potatoes and a large tin of beans is about £1.50 (cheese is annoyingly expensive if you're that level of skint, which I should point out I've never been¹). You can make a Sunday lunch for two people for about a fiver, too.

Jack's recipes always seem overly complicated to me, honestly. Even when they are actually, theoretically, cheap.

¹See, it's not difficult to admit you've never been properly poor!

Reactions: 37
As I've said before, you can make 5 portions of cheap bolognase for about £3.50 if you use tinned mince and tinned mushrooms. Two large jacket potatoes and a large tin of beans is about £1.50 (cheese is annoyingly expensive if you're that level of skint, which I should point out I've never been¹). You can make a Sunday lunch for two people for about a fiver, too.

Jack's recipes always seem overly complicated to me, honestly. Even when they are actually, theoretically, cheap.

¹See, it's not difficult to admit you've never been properly poor!
My corner shop does mild cheese for a pound not the best but will do a turn if you need it too.

Reactions: 17
I have a dim and distant memory of her making an interpretation of falafel, too.

If anything is going to bring peace in the Middle East it’s going to be Israel and the Arab World coming together to condemn that

• Haha
Reactions: 41
I have a dim and distant memory of her making an interpretation of falafel, too.

If anything is going to bring peace in the Middle East it’s going to be Israel and the Arab World coming together to condemn that
She did 'rainbow falafel ' which looked disgusting, obviously.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 21
Add me to the list of ninnies who attempted the kidney bean burgers once upon a time. From memory, they were edible but I'd never make them again. Overpowering taste of cumin, fell apart in the pan, and a lot of faff/mess to make something inferior to any supermarket own brand.

It's astonishing that this was probably her culinary peak.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
I’m so horrified that she tipped the tinned beans straight in and didn’t drain them. Whhhhy? You’re supposed to bloody drain them. If your dish needs to have water added, then add fresh water, not gloopy can water + whatever preservatives they add.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
Another burger maker! I remember them being not that great, and the usually not very fussy husband, asking me not to make them again 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 24
I’m so horrified that she tipped the tinned beans straight in and didn’t drain them. Whhhhy? You’re supposed to bloody drain them. If your dish needs to have water added, then add fresh water, not gloopy can water + whatever preservatives they add.
Does the gloopy stuff act as a thickener or something? Trying to remember from Bake Off when they used the bean water for something vegan based they were making,

Reactions: 11
Is that Aquawotsit for meringues?
This is the point where the threads eat themselves…

Jack teased aquafaba(?) as *her* secret ingredient for something. Instantly guessed by squiggles. Never saw the light of day.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
Aquafaba has its uses. Lately Jack seems to think it’s a crime to rinse it, unlike manufactured sauce which gets hosed off beans as fast as possible.
“Free form jizz cooking” 🦉🍾💀

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Jack Monroe's 'career' is what you get when the only form of research you undertake is for the purpose of repurposing it as your own.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.