Jack Monroe #192 Hoist with her own anchoïade

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I really don’t understand why you’d add hashtags to a message like this...apart from being a massive attention bleep. Birds of a feather and all that.
Slightly OT but I’m suspicious of people who overly use the label narcissist, and I’m speaking as someone whose ex could probably be clinically diagnosed with NPD. I know first hand that narcissist can cause serious damage to those around them (Jack and Vonny being clear examples), but some people seem to fling the label around and use it as a weapon, especially on Reddit etc.
Edit: just saw that Mr Krabs and others got there before me. Another lukewarm take from me - maybe I am Jack...

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 47
I feel bad for the child. There's something really off about that tweet. Obligatory 'not a mum' but this just doesn't seem like something a kid would ask for? Maybe I'm reading too much into this but it seems kind of weird.
I have two children and I know mine went through phases of wanting to see pictures again and agin because they were fascinated by them and I suppose they were trying to work out the world. What I find odd is the parent detailing it all on social media, although I suppose many parents are guilty of recounting their children’s exploits endlessly even though they are of limited interest to other people.

Reactions: 29
I
I have two children and I know mine went through phases of wanting to see pictures again and agin because they were fascinated by them and I suppose they were trying to work out the world. What I find odd is the parent detailing it all on social media, although I suppose many parents are guilty of recounting their children’s exploits endlessly even though they are of limited interest to other people.
It could have - in theory - gotten her some attention from Jack as she was indicating she was a patreon subscriber, but - Nope! support me financially, not a mention or a thank you.

Reactions: 30
I really don’t understand why you’d add hashtags to a message like this...apart from being a massive attention bleep. Birds of a feather and all that.
Slightly OT but I’m suspicious of people who overly use the label narcissist, and I’m speaking as someone whose ex could probably be clinically diagnosed with NPD. I know first hand that narcissist can cause serious damage to those around them (Jack and Vonny being clear examples), but some people seem to fling the label around and use it as a weapon, especially on Reddit etc.
Edit: just saw that Mr Krabs and others got there before me. Another lukewarm take from me - maybe I am Jack...
It's very common nowadays for people to be labelled as narcs, when in fact they're just unpleasant people for other reasons. I have a friend who tends to label her awful exes as narcissists, they're crappy people in a variety of other ways, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are a narcissist. I think it's a buzzword that people throw around because they've heard narc = nasty, without actually understanding what it means, and what traits someone would have if they were one.

• Heart
Reactions: 48
I think there is a difference between a narcissist and someone with NPD.
I would guess Vonny has a personality disorder but I’m not sure it’s NPD.

Reactions: 25
Just sliding in between the pancakes and Jack's nip to add Venice to the list of Not-a-Holidays:

View attachment 595962
This is such a minor thing in the grand scheme of things, but from my experience Venice basically shuts at ten, so I don’t know how she managed to stay up until the small hours in a bar. From my trip there it seemed that only older people could really afford to live there, nd the nightlife was lacking. My friend and I had a great time because we’re grannies at heart, but quite a few people staying in our hostel wanted to move on quicker than planned due to the lack of nightlife. Either Jack has a weird idea of what the small hours are, or she’s just exaggerating as usual.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 46
This is such a minor thing in the grand scheme of things, but from my experience Venice basically shuts at ten, so I don’t know how she managed to stay up until the small hours in a bar. From my trip there it seemed that only older people could really afford to live there, nd the nightlife was lacking. My friend and I had a great time because we’re grannies at heart, but quite a few people staying in our hostel wanted to move on quicker than planned due to the lack of nightlife. Either Jack has a weird idea of what the small hours are, or she’s just exaggerating as usual.
I love that - grannies at heart.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Venice is SO freaking expensive as well. I mean, just for food and drink, never mind anything else.
ETA although knowing Jack, she was probably blatantly freeloading off her great friend Russell.

Reactions: 31
Starts again in September though.
I'm already worrying about the fact she can't cook anything beyond chicken nuggets and frozen pizza, I really don't need to be freaking out about what she might or might not be sticking up her nose!

• Haha
Reactions: 25
Yikes, all in the name of crumb-dropping to the masses that she wasn't eating properly. I don't think my children would notice wether I had ever eaten or not and rightfully so, it should never be a child's concern and if it is...what have you been saying to them?
I would never notice thinks like that about my parents, because they would look after me, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Reactions: 27
Can concur, my children are considerate little souls (though probably not quite so much to each other), they wouldn't have a clue what I did or didn't eat in a day! The only way I guess they would is if I banged on about it all the time... 🤔
Most children wouldn’t worry about this because the adults in their lives are perfectly able to take care of themselves, so it would never cross their minds to check up on their parents, because that’s not their job. Jack doesn’t seem to realise what a bad light this story casts on her parenting skills. I really hope she made it up, because otherwise it suggests that SB has grown up with a lot of anxiety and has been forced into a parental role to his own oblivious, selfish mother.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
That conversation is actual insanity, writ bold for all to see. A weird fantasy.
And all the commuters clapped.
The train driver bibbed his horn.
the commuters were agog with wonder
They thanked their gods, and maybe some tipped a nod to ballah.
Many had fallen short of his/their glory but this whispered discreet yet overheard conversation that fateful morn had brought them back from the darkness. their gods speaking directly to them.
Verily verily send unto them from the mouth of an aastute Small Boy, wise beyond his years and his wonderful, selfless mama.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
I thought I had quite an extensive vocabulary but the jack threads have made me realise how short sighted that opinion was. I learn at least 2 new words every time I have a grunk.

Also, regarding SB noticing she hadn't eaten, my child sometimes will ask if I'm having anything if I make them a meal and I don't make any for myself. They've not yet learned that I do this because I'm having a takeaway once they're asleep 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 69
Who the hell are those squiggles gushing in the comments to that sorry excuse for the article? Are they all sock accounts?

I remember taking my 5 year old to A+E toget a piece of popcorn removed from her nose, I was obviously a bad mamapapa.

(said child is going to study philosophy at uni in September and no longer sticks stupid things up her nose!)

Some people haven't got past that stage. J.1g

• Haha
Reactions: 28
I'm already worrying about the fact she can't cook anything beyond chicken nuggets and frozen pizza, I really don't need to be freaking out about what she might or might not be sticking up her nose!
Good luck to your daughter and belated congratulations to her for getting her place at uni! i'm sure she'll be nervous but also very excited and I hope she has the time of her life!

Honestly the first few months living on your own as a young adult is an important growing stage, like a baby bird finding its wings and learning to fly. I'm sure they'll excel!
On topic:
I can't believe how quiet Jack is being, spycam squiggle has to be some kind of troll or grifting account (like the vampire squiggle, or the other lady who was asking for money, weird she seems to attract these people) - who ends a tweet with #breachofprivacy ?!

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Most children wouldn’t worry about this because the adults in their lives are perfectly able to take care of themselves, so it would never cross their minds to check up on their parents, because that’s not their job. Jack doesn’t seem to realise what a bad light this story casts on her parenting skills. I really hope she made it up, because otherwise it suggests that SB has grown up with a lot of anxiety and has been forced into a parental role to his own oblivious, selfish mother.
She wrote about him checking to see if she was still breathing too 🙁

My daughter sometimes offers to make me things. Mostly, I say no thanks, because knowing I drink strong coffee, she thinks 5 spoons of instant is about right (it is not!)

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 41
I can’t believe SB didn’t chip in to say “don’t forget the Jewish faith mamapapa, the abrahamic religions are all valid”
A shame that someone with top marks in their short course RE GCSE isn't aware that all the Abrahamic religions share the belief that G-d created the world in 6 days and then on the 7th day RESTED OK. I can remember reading tales of the school journey back in the day and while the details were of course tastefully blurred, I don't think Jack ever claimed to do the 14 mile school run twice a day, 5 days a week - I think it was suggested, but not stated, that SB was picked on Friday afternoons and delivered to school on Monday mornings? I know that SB lived with Jack during the week during the Allegra period,* but I'm not sure that he's ever done so since, except for possibly a spell during lockdown when one of his siblings was ill? (*That excruciating Observer interview with the 'eating with hands' bit!)
I know how hard I would roll my eyes at a a father who had custody alternate weekends describing himself as a 'single parent'.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.