Jack Monroe #190 The sloppening

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes because a carrot will fill you up just as much as a sweet potato 🙄. Idiot.
They taste the same and maintain the same consistency after roasting apparently.

Everything orange tastes the same then?

The mystery of Jack’s cooking is slowly solved.

ETA can something taste “claggy”? Grrr. Peanut butter FEELS claggy Jack, it doesn’t taste claggy.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 42
Found this on the tube whilst non-mendaciously browsing for something else
Sweet potatoes are sad food? That music made me sad. I had to listen through my fancy Bluetooth headphones and my inner ear died.
Sweet potatoes are really starchy and very dif-
never mind Jack. If you don't know by now you never will.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 50
OK my dear lovely fraus, this is what constitutes for an amazing Saturday night, chez Carmina Piranha. Below are just some of Jacks engagements that I could find, only going back to 2014. This is not all of them, though...just what I could find!
I remember her whining in the past she often only got paid a fiver for some of these gigs, and maybe dinner expenses...but what I've listed has some sort of reimbursement.
Sorry @Pocahontas if this is too long. But like I said yesterday, it's an astounding list....

Waterstones
Edinburgh International Book Festival
Book a Bookshop
BookGig
DRAKE - The Bookshop
Magic Breakfast
LADA
Wellcome Collection
British Library
Arts Council
Oxford THS
Trussell Trust
Child Poverty Action Group
Plan Zheroes
The Food Chain
Fortnum and Mason
Observer Food Monthly
Marie Claire
YMCA
Red Magazine
The Labour Party
National Farmers Union
The Connection at St Martin's in the Fields
The Orwell Foundation
Ilkley Literary Festival
Essex University
Birmingham University
Women for Women
Naked Productions
BBC radio 4
Edexcel
Dept of Education
Literacy Trust
Octopus Energy
Manchester Food and Drink Festival
Hay Festival
BBC Radio 4 Any Questions
BBC 1 Question Time
Brighton and Hove Food Partnership
CERG
UCAS
Unicef
Bristol University Press
Food Research Collaboration
Eastbourne Eco Networks
De Montford University
British Science Association
Warwick University
Poverty Alliance
Bristol University Press
Church Action on Poverty
Del Monte
Hellmans
Sainsburys
Linda McCartney
Edinburgh Wellbeing Festival
Guardian
Royal Court
Real Junk Food Project
WiFi for
Tin Can Supper Club
Groupon
Canned Food UK
I was quite shocked to see our lovely local bookshop on this list but I do have a vague recollection of her doing some kind of chat thing for them, I didn’t attend and not sure how many locals will have even though many are proper poor people with an actual limited budget. I can’t recall ever having seen any of her books in the shop window either.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
@MancBee forgive my ignorance but what’s this interesting looking thing in your beautiful cutlery drawer?
It's a small whisk I use for mixing eggs when I scramble or make an omelette. It came with a mug and chocolate, so think it is meant for making drinks. It was gifted, 😂😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 67

Does anyone else have a mental image of Moira Rose every time they read the thread title, or is it just me?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
In the Times today there was a really interesting article about a Twitter spat between a chef that I'd never actually heard of, called Alison Roman, and Chrissy Teigen, which resulted in the chef being... cancelled (according to the article).

I do wonder if Jack chooses targets with a desire to do the same

And another thing.... I went to sainsburys tonight, and it was quite windy. Saw my blue disposable mask flutter in front of me, picked it up, put it on....then put my hand in my pocket and found...my actual own mask....🤢
Chrissy teigan isn’t very nice. Uses her platform to bully others

• Heart
Reactions: 45
It's a small whisk I use for mixing eggs when I scramble or make an omelette. It came with a mug and chocolate, so think it is meant for making drinks. It was gifted, 😂😂
Ex barista here it is indeed a drinks whisk.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Those swaps 🙄 Certain things, you can get away with switching out, but it's just not going to be risotto without the proper rice. You're just never going to get that nice starchy creaminess. Focaccia without olive oil - no way! Tahini v's peanut butter is just not the same. Plus, most schools are nut free now, so rules that out for pack up. Sweet potato cooks up entirely different to a carrot. She's just got no idea at all, and I say that as someone who merrily ignores a lot of 'rules' cooking wise.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
Those swaps 🙄 Certain things, you can get away with switching out, but it's just not going to be risotto without the proper rice. You're just never going to get that nice starchy creaminess. Focaccia without olive oil - no way! Tahini v's peanut butter is just not the same. Plus, most schools are nut free now, so rules that out for pack up. Sweet potato cooks up entirely different to a carrot. She's just got no idea at all, and I say that as someone who merrily ignores a lot of 'rules' cooking wise.
Ah but olive oil "doesn't taste very nice". I think the Mediterranean might disagree but hey, she's the 'literal food expert' 😑

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 55
For this thread title we must thank @Hollaaa for the words and @DrtCrl for the nomination, even if it was illegally early in the last thread. Congratulations, your prize is a year's supply of Mel Donte Sitrus Calad!

In the previous thread:

-we continued our internal chaos and tested some more Jack recipes
- @Hollaaa made white bean, spinach and garlic soup, the results of which you can see here
- @Orphan_Black made slow cooker bread, the results of which you can see here
-I made headrush spaghetti, the results of which you can see here

-Jack reappeared to show us her new fringe that she claims to have meticulously cut by herself using embroidery scissors despite it looking suspiciously professional and as we all know, Jack has never done a professional thing in her life

-Jack has partnered with Octopus Energy to help young people understand electricity bills, still hasn't shown any support for the Full Time Meals campaign

-Del Monte have announced a competition to win a year's worth of tinned peaches which has kicked off the cabal campaign #peachesforpoca. It also comes with a bundle of Jack's books, though which books and how many, nobody knows. Unsurprisingly, we do not have a campaign for the books.

Please use the words ‘thread title’ (two separate words) when making a bid for one as it makes it easier to search. Also, try to hold off to the latter part of the thread if possible (after post #500). And remember - no swears are allowed.

There is a thread in the off topic forum called Food and Drink where off topic chat is encouraged if / when Jack is quiet.

New to Jack? Have a look at the wiki.
Oh my goodness, thank(space)you!! I was sure the illegality would rule me out! I genuinely think this might be the greatest achievement of my life!
You can tell I’m excited because I’ve used FAR too many exclamation marks.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
In the Times today there was a really interesting article about a Twitter spat between a chef that I'd never actually heard of, called Alison Roman, and Chrissy Teigen, which resulted in the chef being... cancelled (according to the article).

I do wonder if Jack chooses targets with a desire to do the same

And another thing.... I went to sainsburys tonight, and it was quite windy. Saw my blue disposable mask flutter in front of me, picked it up, put it on....then put my hand in my pocket and found...my actual own mask....🤢
I think the controversy started with Alison Roman posting about a chick pea stew that was clearly a curry, but not wanting to call it a curry (leading to discussions about cultural appropriation and how Asian and Latin food can be sometimes used by white cooks without respect to the culture it came from).

She then complained in an interview about people like Chrissy Teigen getting a cooking utensils range at Target (and making fun of Marie Kondo's English too I think, if I remember correctly, saying both Teigen and Kondo were sell outs), to which Teigen reacted that she was dissapointed because she used to like making Roman's recipes. So not exactly Teigen calling for Roman's canceling or targeting her for a spat.

(I only know this because I subscribe to an American magazine that discusses pop culture through a feminist lense and there was much tweeting from the editors about this :D)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 36
I’ve just realised that the thread title glory is a poisoned chalice, I’m genuinely really excited but who can I tell about my moment in the sun?! How do I even begin to explain this to anyone not in the cabal?!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 77
They taste the same and maintain the same consistency after roasting apparently.

Everything orange tastes the same then?

The mystery of Jack’s cooking is slowly solved.

ETA can something taste “claggy”? Grrr. Peanut butter FEELS claggy Jack, it doesn’t taste claggy.
That must have seen the same day she made those awful cookies I had a bash at - preying on her mind!

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Why not buy cheap humus from Aldi or Lidl if you want cheap humus? 0.69 for a tub. If you're strapped for cash you don't want to experiemnt with peanutbutter an chickpeas....

The whole oil = oil is such nonsense too. Of course you can use cheap oil for frying (that's what I do), but it will be so differnt in a dressing or as a topping.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
I’ve just realised that the thread title glory is a poisoned chalice, I’m genuinely really excited but who can I tell about my moment in the sun?! How do I even begin to explain this to anyone not in the cabal?!
It's canal recruitment o'clock!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
Imagine me trying to explain why I needed to go to a shop just to buy pineapple rings, an item I have never bought before. It was like a comedy sketch.

• Haha
Reactions: 56
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.