Jack Monroe #188 Jack sits on a train of lies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When have I taken money from strangers?

Also in regards to freelance work — I’ve moved into PR because you’re right it’s not great money.

I am unable to work out of the house because living with no large intestine means I am glued to the toilet a lot of the time.
Don’t mean to badger you, but did you get work or did you just money? This will help us know if you did or didn’t take money off strangers. I mean, I don’t even know who you are, I’m not familiar with your body of work, but I’m guessing you’ve got quite a large following on Twitter and I’m guessing most of those people are strangers no?

So to sum up, if some kind Twitter person offered you work, then fair play that was a useful shout out. If, on the other hand, people who follow you donated their money to you, well it’s a basic grift and the comments here are valid (obvs not about your illnesses but I’ve not seen anyone bitching about your colon)

I think answering that simple question will resolve any misunderstandings.

I’ll be honest, I’m ambivalent about your take on salad bag pesto, so no need to answer that.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Yeah OG thread 1 Frau here and the bowel comments haven’t happened and CCing in mods @Pocahontas @Yel who can confirm it’s against our rules.

You’re going to have to find receipts for that because there’s no way us as a community would have allowed it - pls don’t come out of lurking and claim that as you should know better as a seemingly regular viewer.
Seconding this. As another OG this would never be accepted.

• Heart
Reactions: 43
Hi @okaylolbye

Thank you for posting, and I am sorry to hear about your health and personal issues.

I commented on your post here as it came to my attention through Jack’s likes. I appreciate this is a Jack Monroe thread, and I am more than happy for mods to delete my post if you are uncomfortable with it or if it breaches the rules. However, you are a blue tick public account and were talking about your debts and seeking work via a public platform, and whilst you are absolutely entitled to do so, that also means your account is open to public scrutiny and opinion. I posted your tweet because I viewed a like from Jack as an endorsement of the concept of entitlement by some blue tickers to expect work and/or donations just because they ask on Twitter - and they have a large following - something I am personally uncomfortable with, especially as some people donating are of limited financial means themselves.

I assume that someone directed you here, and if the discussion following my post has caused you any distress then I apologise - and as I say, very happy for mods to delete as appropriate. I wish you all the best.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
Thank you for the links.

I have actually spoken to StepChange and they said because I'm self-employed there's nothing they can do?

I have also spoken to PayPlan and they gave us 30 days for my partner to get a new job and then asked us to call them back.

Will check out the national debt line though, thank you!
I wasn’t aware stepchange couldn’t help if self employed, perhaps due to variable income. I appreciate it may be difficult to do but if you contact your bank and creditors directly and explain the situation they may be able to support with reduced payments. The regulators are all over the banks and how they are treating people through Covid so they should have procedures in place.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
£400 wasn't donated to me.

£400 was work offered from people I knew mutually through other work. I worked in PR and some help with social media, and some creative writing to earn this £400 (with a contract and an invoice).

But just to say again: This was not donated to me from strangers. I did contracted work.

I also don't have a tip jar, nor do I intend to set one up.

And in regards to the bowel issues: There was mocking from people talking about an article I had written in regards to a toilet paper shortage last year. It was in one of the earlier threads.

The last thing I want is an argument; I just wanted to come on here to clear up that I didn't receive £400 of donations from strangers.

I wish you all well. x
You are super duper fast at typing and replying! Kudos. I wish you well, sincerely.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Seconding this. As another OG this would never be accepted.
*Whispers* what's an OG?

I am crap with abbreviations.

Until recently I thought IRL an abbreviation for Ireland ( which it is) but I couldn't understand the internet context. 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 44
Don’t mean to badger you, but did you get work or did you just money? This will help us know if you did or didn’t take money off strangers. I mean, I don’t even know who you are, I’m not familiar with your body of work, but I’m guessing you’ve got quite a large following on Twitter and I’m guessing most of those people are strangers no?

So to sum up, if some kind Twitter person offered you work, then fair play that was a useful shout out. If, on the other hand, people who follow you donated their money to you, well it’s a basic grift and the comments here are valid (obvs not about your illnesses but I’ve not seen anyone bitching about your colon)

I think answering that simple question will resolve any misunderstandings.

I’ll be honest, I’m ambivalent about your take on salad bag pesto, so no need to answer that.
Question Answered. Fair enough

Reactions: 20
So are we gonna get an explanation on how you found this comment in real time or nah 😂 are you two still mates?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
Yeah OG thread 1 Frau here and the bowel comments haven’t happened and CCing in mods @Pocahontas @Yel who can confirm it’s against our rules.

You’re going to have to find receipts for that because there’s no way us as a community would have allowed it - pls don’t come out of lurking and claim that as you should know better as a seemingly regular viewer.
Yep don’t recall anything directly mocking a genuine health condition and it certainly wouldn’t have gone unreported. There’s plenty of posters on the thread with various health issues of their own - so can’t imagine anything cruel about a health condition would even have been posted.

• Heart
Reactions: 74
I do like a mini chaos on a Sunday evening. Will this thread go into the “we were visited” Hall of Fame like #31?

• Haha
Reactions: 42
£400 wasn't donated to me.

£400 was work offered from people I knew mutually through other work. I worked in PR and some help with social media, and some creative writing to earn this £400 (with a contract and an invoice).

But just to say again: This was not donated to me from strangers. I did contracted work.

I also don't have a tip jar, nor do I intend to set one up.

And in regards to the bowel issues: There was mocking from people talking about an article I had written in regards to a toilet paper shortage last year. It was in one of the earlier threads.

The last thing I want is an argument; I just wanted to come on here to clear up that I didn't receive £400 of donations from strangers.

I wish you all well. x
Genuine question, why are you here?

• Heart
Reactions: 46
I do like a mini chaos on a Sunday evening. Will this thread go into the “we were visited” Hall of Fame like #31?
Jack will report us to the mods for going off topic!

Hattie- did Jack ever write the 10 minute article?

• Haha
Reactions: 36
I honestly would never dream of asking from money from strangers online, at a push I would ask my mum and it would literally only be for the basics ie a bit of food to feed us.

I don't understand money for nothing, I know it's nice to get cash but I would feel odd taking it from people I didn't know under the guise I was skint because I got overexcited with my money.
I did ask my parents for help when my first husband buggered off & left me with my new born, but I did do their cleaning for the £20 a week shopping they did for me in return. Please note Jack this was early 1990's & i was soon in receipt of income support and any other benefits going to make my SBs life better. Please also note i did not sell his (coincidentally) favourite toy which was dennis the cuddly dinosaur, never even occurred to me as I didnt actually sell anything not even light bulbs. She didn't do anything then that put her child first. I now OWN the same house i was living in then. She chose that tit & still does. I also wouldn't rule out a colposcopy as being the cause of all the dramz had them too Jack, sit down and shut up 🛎🔚

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I did ask my parents for help when my first husband buggered off & left me with my new born, but I did do their cleaning for the £20 a week shopping they did for me in return. Please note Jack this was early 1990's & i was soon in receipt of income support and any other benefits going to make my SBs life better. Please also note i did not sell his (coincidentally) favourite toy which was dennis the cuddly dinosaur, never even occurred to me as I didnt actually sell anything not even light bulbs. She didn't do anything then that put her child first. I now OWN the same house i was living in then. She chose that tit & still does. I also wouldn't rule out a colposcopy as being the cause of all the dramz had them too Jack, sit down and shut up 🛎🔚
I literally have zero interest in money. I don't get the greed people have for it. As long as my kids are fed, the bills are paid and we can afford alittle trip out now and again, I don't want much else.

When I say trip like a bus( because I don't drive) to the nearest beach. Or a trip to see my family which literally was an annual thing and we save like crazy for.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Hi all,

Hattie Gladwell here. I didn't think I'd ever find myself responding on Tattle. Not because I don't think that what people have to say on here isn't valid, but because I have seen myself dragged into these threads about Jack many times, and after the comments about debt I wanted to finally respond.

I've seen various comments on here that I just wanted to clear up.

Yes I am a writer, yes I am in debt. Yes I have bipolar disorder, and yes I spent my savings during a manic episode, but am now, and have been for a long time, stable, with the help of a psychiatrist and medication.

I don't have IBS — I have ulcerative colitis, a form of inflammatory bowel disease. In 2015, when I was 19, my bowel perforated and I was given a stoma bag. I was 20 minutes from death, and so it's very hurtful to read comments mocking my bowel issues in past threads.

Yes I got my 'dream job' at 19. That is correct. It was after I spent 10 months writing about inflammatory bowel disease. I was very lucky.

Unfortunately, I was in a very bad relationship for a long time, and a lot of my debt came from there. I don't want to go into that any further.

I asked for help on Twitter — but I didn't ask for financial help. I asked if anyone had any work going because I was desperate (yes, desperate, not just a bit short). I have been working non-stop and thankfully have managed to pay some of it off.

I also have a one-year-old, and was diagnosed with postnatal depression, and so during this time more debt had mounted up due to my partner losing his job while I was on maternity pay. I have been supporting a family of three for the past six months.

I'm not a bad person — nor have I taken money from strangers. But right now I'm trying to be a good mum through a lot of struggle, and I'd appreciate not being dragged into the issues with Jack.

Thank you for hearing me out.
Thank you for the clarification. Are you joining the Cabal, lurking or visiting? Keep safe and good luck with your life’s journey x

• Heart
Reactions: 41
I do say kudos to Hattie for coming here to explain that the £400 was earned.
Due to past problems with the funding/patreon/indiegogo of the magazine, I feel that has informed the suspicion unfortunately, however it has now been cleared up. I wish you well in your endeavours on a personal level.

I found the post regarding IBD and UC and toilet roll, and I disagree that it was mocking the disorder. As a “get your belly out” supporter I would have called it out but didn’t need to, in fact the author clarified it themself.
C291CFB0-4FD4-4F23-8CFF-6EF098432A53.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 59
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.