Jack Monroe #186 The bromelain in canned pineapple is denatured

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This was mentioned on Friday's HIGNFY - corned beef sales have soared over lockdown, no mention of Jack in the article...

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/canned/...to-resurgence-with-millennials/655357.article
Anyone remember back when DKL was on, we talked about the calamity that was Kack grating it to make a chilli. The discussion was in part around how expensive that would be as it is not cheap anymore.
My mum made us corned beef toasties with soup when the cash was low at the end of the month. This was one of my favourite meals and I didn’t realise it was a cash saving exercise.

A helpful Frau explained you can now buy it sliced in packets and that week I dinned on corned beef toasties with butter on the outside to fry them in, no fancy toastie machine was used.

Anyway I like to think that this rise in corned beef sales is possibly down to us discussing the deliciousness of a toastie and not Jack grating it on the telly!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 46
What an odd article this is. Someone made a Jack sandwich and wrote about it. Amazingly she liked it. Favourite quote 'Best part was - it didn't stink'.
And oh yes Jack's recipes are often 'full of surprises' :sick:

I make "egg" sandwiches with tofu using a similar recipe (I use It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken's recipe but I'm sure there are loads of others). It's not an original thought, although it doesn't sound like Our Jack uses kala nemak, which is the thing that makes it taste like egg not just tofu in mayo and also makes it smell.

Also, I've caught up after about 2 weeks of perma grunk. I can only ever be in real time when Mackie is boring :confused:

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 38
DADE012E-F488-436F-9848-0AE734468BC7.jpeg

Take 2 slices of bread out the bag. First you’ll need to open the bag. It’s the clear and opaque one on the side where we could keep the toaster if we had one. Open the bag by pulling the yellow tab and then untwisting the twist at the top! Don’t twist too far or it will unravel and then twist back the other way quicker than one of my moods”

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
I can't get over the 'It doesn't stink of egg' comment from the author. That's the least bad option, like saying you love the colour of your mate's dress when it looks like a bin bag.

• Haha
Anticipating a long and never-ending tirade of veg-chopping, dicing, slicing, flavouring, and cooking, I had pre-emptively allowed myself over an hour to complete the recipe.

So I was gobsmacked when the ingredients took less than 10 minutes to chop and chuck together.

...it's a sandwich.

Who gives themselves an hour to make a bleeping sandwich?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 71
Anticipating a long and never-ending tirade of veg-chopping, dicing, slicing, flavouring, and cooking, I had pre-emptively allowed myself over an hour to complete the recipe.

So I was gobsmacked when the ingredients took less than 10 minutes to chop and chuck together.

...it's a sandwich.

Maybe they are aware of Jacks body of work and were allowing time to slowly cook it low and slow

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 46

...it's a sandwich.

It depends. Might have been a pickled mandarin and bean sandwich, in which case the wait would be 4 months, give or take.

• Haha
Reactions: 67
tirade
/tʌɪˈreɪd,tɪˈreɪd/

noun
noun: tirade; plural noun: tirades
  1. a long, angry speech of criticism or accusation.
    "a tirade of abuse"
This reporter only had to make a single Jack recipe before lapsing into malapropisms.

• Haha
Reactions: 40
Reporting for duty. Ahead of Line of.

Below Deck? Completed it mate.

Jack as chef on a super yacht could be interesting.

Captain Lee: Jack, the primary wants a 12 course tasting menu on the first night.

Jack: duck off. Don’t they know who I am?

3am in the morning Kate wakes Jack up.

Kate: Sorry to wake you Jack but the Primary’s daughter can’t sleep and would really like some poached eggs.

Jack: Ngghhnnhhfggghhh. Eggs. Ngghhhhggggg.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
I've paid my dues already, have mercy. 👀
Me too. I do not need to ever taste one of her recipes again. Even the ones people say are OK, I would rather not bother.

I had my second vaccine yesterday. Fell asleep in the afternoon as I was so tired, slept like a baby all night woke up today feeling OK. So if a good night's sleep is a side effect, I could do with more. 😂

Has Jack had her vaccine yet?

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 65
Reporting for duty. Ahead of Line of.

Below Deck? Completed it mate.

Jack as chef on a super yacht could be interesting.

Captain Lee: Jack, the primary wants a 12 course tasting menu on the first night.

Jack: duck off. Don’t they know who I am?

3am in the morning Kate wakes Jack up.

Kate: Sorry to wake you Jack but the Primary’s daughter can’t sleep and would really like some poached eggs.

Jack: Ngghhnnhhfggghhh. Eggs. Ngghhhhggggg.
I’m so thrilled to see Below Deck Frauen. I have “completed it, mate”: Below Deck, BD Med, BD Sailing Yacht and am up to speed with the latest BDSY.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
Take 2 slices of bread out the bag. First you’ll need to open the bag. It’s the clear and opaque one on the side where we could keep the toaster if we had one. Open the bag by pulling the yellow tab and then untwisting the twist at the top! Don’t twist too far or it will unravel and then twist back the other way quicker than one of my moods”
I don’t have any bread, can I use a banana instead?

• Haha
Reactions: 44
Yeah Tom Kerridge is great and all but is his beurre blanc unctuous and does it make a thick, provocative shroud for a scant handful pasta? If not, I'm not interested 🙅‍♀️

I had a terrible slop disaster earlier as well, it must be all the repressed chaos energy emanating from London. I was making crumpets for the first time in years and thought I'd be efficient and cook four at the same time, forgetting that the pan I used isn't as non-stick as it used to be. The bottoms all welded themselves to the pan and got burnt while the insides were largely raw. Unlike Jack I didn't claim to have hoofed the lot straight out of the pan nor did I take a photo for social media and promise to post the recipe at a later date.

Quite. We all know that the only male chef able to use such phrases as ‘Unctuous, filling and restorative, it has legendary status among the team of grape pickers at Auxey-Duresses in Burgundy.’ is the Alan Partridge of Cornwall.

1619980243929.png

• Haha
  • Heart
Me too. I do not need to ever taste one of her recipes again. Even the ones people say are OK, I would rather not bother.

I had my second vaccine yesterday. Fell asleep in the afternoon as I was so tired, slept like a baby all night woke up today feeling OK. So if a good night's sleep is a side effect, I could do with more. 😂

My first vaccine did that to me. Not sure if side effect or relief!

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Whilst I know this is off topic please can I request no LOD spoilers or there will be much wailing and gnashing from chez shower (from a Frau only on series 4)

on topic .. I wonder when jack will get round to starting series 1

I don’t have any bread, can I use a banana instead?
yes, absolutely. Make sure it’s whole

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36

My second is booked for a week Tuesday and I'll now be keeping my fingers crossed for similar side effects. :ROFLMAO:

• Heart
Reactions: 23
My first vaccine did that to me. Not sure if side effect or relief!
I didn't have any side effects with the first one. I can't wait for Jack to have hers, I would put money on her having every side effect listed.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
Hi Ladies been lurking but have to jump in but EDDIE........ ??!!!
Really? 😂
Obviously just started watching the new series and I'm waiting for Ben 😍
You lot do make me laugh every day xx

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.