Jack Monroe #186 The bromelain in canned pineapple is denatured

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Easy pizzas does sound good. I remember Jack in one book had a an easy pizza version with muffins (presumably a deep pan idea?) and then recommended putting her kale pesto thing on which I did (this was during my Jackolyte days). 😳😳🤢🤮 it was as bad as it sounds.

Corned beef hash was my favourite dish growing up.
Hairy bikers have a good corned beef hash which uses celeriac instead of potato. It sounds like it shouldn’t work but it does.

• Sick
Reactions: 28
On camping holidays corned beef hash was my father's signature dish.

I am now a vegetarian who doesn't camp The two are not unconnected.
My kids hated it. But now it is just hubby and I at home we can eat the meals the kids wouldn't eat, and not have to make a separate meal for them.

Easy pizzas does sound good. I remember Jack in one book had a an easy pizza version with muffins (presumably a deep pan idea?) and then recommended putting her kale pesto thing on which I did (this was during my Jackolyte days). 😳😳🤢🤮 it was as bad as it sounds.

Hairy bikers have a good corned beef hash which uses celeriac instead of potato. It sounds like it shouldn’t work but it does.
Oh that sounds interesting. I'll need to look that up

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
I keep reading the thread title in the tone of Homer Simpson's 'money can be exchanged for goods and services' bit.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
It’s a slow news day
Rather Jackesque - Banana pancakes which were crispy and burnt on the outside whilst sloppy yet grainy on the inside, quite revolting... 🥴

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 39
It’s a slow news day
Rather Jackesque - Banana pancakes which were crispy and burnt on the outside whilst also sloppy yet grainy on the inside, quite revolting... 🥴
you should post a photo online and tag her as your inspiration :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Oh god are we gonna have to take slop-production inhouse as well as slop-berating?

• Haha
Reactions: 42
  • Haha
Reactions: 45
What an odd article this is. Someone made a Jack sandwich and wrote about it. Amazingly she liked it. Favourite quote 'Best part was - it didn't stink'.
And oh yes Jack's recipes are often 'full of surprises' :sick:

Why would you want your food to have any surprises at all if it isn't a bleeping Kinder Egg?

Love that the quality of local journalism transcends county boundaries, the FB page for our local paper is around 90% comments from people creatively slagging the journalists and the rest are weird and/or racist

• Haha
Reactions: 37
What an odd article this is. Someone made a Jack sandwich and wrote about it. Amazingly she liked it. Favourite quote 'Best part was - it didn't stink'.
And oh yes Jack's recipes are often 'full of surprises' :sick:

The best bit is this...

Jack, hilariously, had talked us through this bit step-by-step.

Personally - although perhaps at my own peril - I'm going to give readers the benefit of the doubt, and assume they are familiar with the process of sandwich assembly.

😏

• Haha
Reactions: 48
The best bit is this...

Jack, hilariously, had talked us through this bit step-by-step.

Personally - although perhaps at my own peril - I'm going to give readers the benefit of the doubt, and assume they are familiar with the process of sandwich assembly.

😏
Take 2 slices of bread out the bag. First you’ll need to open the bag. It’s the clear and opaque one on the side where we could keep the toaster if we had one. Open the bag by pulling the yellow tab and then untwisting the twist at the top! Don’t twist too far or it will unravel and then twist back the other way quicker than one of my moods”

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 59
It's interesting how things with Jack repeats in cycles.

2020 - Hellmann's gig - fucked it up, burn out, mystery holiday to Edinburgh, poverty, £20 shops.

2021 - Delmonte gig - fucked it up, in treatment, mystery holiday to London (?)...

My guess is the poverty reboot number 145679 will be incoming as soon as the funds have dried up, which will be soon if she keeps spunking it on elephants.
I hope this doesn't inspire a new dish 😮

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Yeah Tom Kerridge is great and all but is his beurre blanc unctuous and does it make a thick, provocative shroud for a scant handful pasta? If not, I'm not interested 🙅‍♀️

I had a terrible slop disaster earlier as well, it must be all the repressed chaos energy emanating from London. I was making crumpets for the first time in years and thought I'd be efficient and cook four at the same time, forgetting that the pan I used isn't as non-stick as it used to be. The bottoms all welded themselves to the pan and got burnt while the insides were largely raw. Unlike Jack I didn't claim to have hoofed the lot straight out of the pan nor did I take a photo for social media and promise to post the recipe at a later date.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.