Jack Monroe #182 Extraneous brine

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
MR on BBC Breakfast and the interviewer says “Is it fair to say that the kitchen hasn’t always been your favourite place?” 🤣 He’s all up in her niche!
Did he croak indignantly about having to be there at all, then call Boris a liar?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
Jack cannot be involved in anything without talking about how much work it is. “3am wake up call”, “14 hour days”, “100 hour working weeks” FFS. Honestly these opportunities are so wasted on her.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 59
Bought my sister a Djungelskog for Christmas and she says it’s the best present she’s ever had! 😂 He’s huge and very, very soft.

Looked up the recipe for honey but ice cream and...wtf? I’ve never seen a recipe for ice cream that suggests freezing it into ice cubes first then bashing half melted ice cubes together? Is this normal?

View attachment 540782
It sounds like the milk, capt'n crunch, peanut butter thing that Joon makes in Benny and Joon and she forces Johnny depps character sam to to drink and he chokes it down with a mmmm🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I don't like cereal at all, but I would enjoy honey nut icecream I think (I used to like the Ritter bar with cornflakes)

Jack's receipes weren't the worst when she had Alegra helping her, or when there is a proper team that edits/adapts the recipes. Post-Alegra it has gone downhill as she doesn;t graps basic cooking chemistry, and the combinations she presents us with are often just bizarre, like LM sausages in a curry, don't work, or miss ingredients to give it flavour.

Jack cannot be involved in anything without talking about how much work it is. “3am wake up call”, “14 hour days”, “100 hour working weeks” FFS. Honestly these opportunities are so wasted on her.
Ricky Gervais is not my favourite brand of strawberry jam, but I do like how when people say he works so hard he's like 'nah, my dad was a larborer, he worked hard and for little money, we should not complain about our hard work, it's embarassing' (I am paraphrasing as I'm too lazy to look for the exact quotes). It's embarassing how much she moans about having to do work, and it's embarassing that she calls tweeting about her tit (literally) work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 65
Honestly, I just start to peel in a straight row and it comes off like that. We usually have easy peelers (which makes my BF sing 'She's an easy peeler' to the tune of Easy Lover when I eat them)
See that made me lol - simple things

• Haha
Reactions: 23
It’s brilliant how the last few people to call her out & make actual change have been proper legit profiles. Vegan squiggle, go Henry mum, ICO squiggle, now sainos truther. All normal people with active profiles showcasing normal lives - friends they @ and chat with, normal politics, long standing profiles (made in 2009!), just all round normal people. They’re all savvy to her but she can’t pull the cheap and easy troll card. Beautiful.

• Heart
Reactions: 78
TK talking on Breakfast this morning with real understanding and compassion about being brought up in actual, real, difficult circumstances and the bond that has established between himself and MR.

• Heart
Reactions: 62
Just watching Tom Kerridge on BBC Breakfast. Lovely piece with no mention of smol pixie. How odd.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 55
That squiggle knows the truth. They're playing it clever. 😏

I hope our squiggly friend saw the original reply - since deleted but saved for posterity by @lilamay . It was less vague and more of a direct “yes I am”.

Incidentally - the pork dish with the unrendered yet burnt fat on the Del Monte page has 5 comments. 2 are employees and the others are dissing it. Nice collab, guys!

• Haha
Reactions: 51
The outfit is quite cute, although the hair, the grimace and her general attitude gives me flashbacks to Toddlers and Tiaras 😭
yeah i actually find DKL Nigella Jack the most creepy of all, even though objectively it's probably one of her better looks. Something about it is just wrong, it makes me feel weird 😫

Reactions: 43
Squig has the measure of Jack, saying nothing which contradicts Jack. I wonder if Jack went with the viv trazzers and ‘jazzy’ blouse combo after all.

Crispbread rolls 🤤🤤🤤

• Haha
Reactions: 30
I think that the Marcus Rashford/Tom Kerridge campaign is launched today. Very good coverage in this BBC article. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-56825700

It would be nice if Jack could retweet it without trying to elbow their way in there. As in 'I remember fondly when I showed Marcus how to rinse beans, etc.'.
This made me a bit teary. I am hormonal and given to teariness (and bleeping massive spots on my chin) this week, but still. He's just so lovely and this whole campaign has been so well thought out. I love that MR and presumably the team are using his inexperience to show that it's ok to try stuff and not do it perfectly first time (poor MR - not one and done like some of us), and that they've thought about how best to reach the people they're trying to reach (turns out Twitter not quite the centre of everyone's world). It's beautifully done, and it's all so charming and decent and wholesome. It's large scale kindness and care and understanding and I am so here for it.

You know what might be cool - if the world becomes a bit more normal again, though there's ways round it if not, I guess online would work - would be to take this and drive it into communities, embed it, by training up a small army of volunteer cookery teachers who could continue it on, for their own communities, and run small classes for kids or even parents that regularly update the skills. If it was a charity thing you could use donations to potentially buy ingredients for students and get food safety certificates etc for volunteers. Cooking classes aren't revolutionary I grant you, but with the backing of this campaign I reckon you could get close to making them cool(ish).

• Heart
Reactions: 71
yeah i actually find DKL Nigella Jack the most creepy of all, even though objectively it's probably one of her better looks. Something about it is just wrong, it makes me feel weird 😫
I agree, she creeps me out too, although I think what this look does is shows that when she keeps her style simple (dark hair, plain top) it works. Somehow she went from this in her dressing room to a weird fashion combination of a graphic t-shirt, awfully fitting jeans, ugly trainers and a face full of make up and pouffy hair when she went live. Whatever look she goes for it never quite works.

Reactions: 35
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.