Jack Monroe #181 Time flies when you’re judging slop

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Awww really disappointed ,thought she was going to do the 'vegan ' chicken with a GRANOLA topping ....maybe she had an eye test during her 'treatment ' because it's not 100 % Braaahn ...#iseeflecksofgreeeen...

• Haha
Reactions: 30

Am I being particularly dim this morning? What is the green leafy stuff? Not mentioned in the recipe. Neither is what I assume to be rice - canned jack fruit doesn’t look like rice, nor do grated mushrooms.

How can you put things in the photo that are not in the ingredients list, it’s not fair on her clueless squiggles.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
Two Jack recipes in one day! Is it Christmas already?

From the pork recipe:

20210420_111552.jpg

She cools baked goods in the tin, but takes meat out to rest on a wire rack. I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again: she knows NOTHING about food.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 67
Two Jack recipes in one day! Is it Christmas already?

From the pork recipe:

View attachment 537732

She cools baked goods in the tin, but takes meat out to rest on a wire rack. I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again: she knows NOTHING about food.
It really is quite shocking, she doesn't even know the basics. I think her arrogance has prevented her from learning anything over the years. She thinks she knows it all ("literal food expert") and her 'methods' are fantastic, so why learn anything new? 😕

• Heart
Reactions: 50
It really is quite shocking, she doesn't even know the basics. I think her arrogance has prevented her from learning anything over the years. She thinks she knows it all ("literal food expert") and her 'methods' are fantastic, so why learn anything new? 😕
yeh like when she asks for advice and dismissed literally everyyyy suggestion with "I have already tried that" of course you have jack :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Protected Jackfruit - what a faffy, bullshit recipe. After skimming it, can see plentttttttyyy of mistakes, but will not be falling into the trap of offering her a free editing service. No way, Jose.
So glad we’ve moved on from bin chat 🥴

7EA33FF0-EA9C-405B-9D71-46D7D677C7D0.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 70
Don’t get mad BUT the when I saw the actual pic of the pineapple behatted brown thing, I thought oh that doesn’t look like the worst food she’s ever made. There’s a few different colours in there, indicating some flavour, and actual discernible textures rather than brown slop. The rice looks a bit like a green veg risotto which sounds fun. But then I read the recipe (thanks @WaffleMaker ) and my stomach TURNED, what the duck is that why does she hate peoples and foods?! Why is she making these awful dishes and why would anyone go to all that effort for a tiny portion of squishy vom?!
Pork belly isn’t something I’d try, but especially not if it was that one. Half burnt, half raw and so so greasy looking 🤢 prunes should be reserved for old people who need to keep regular bowel movements. Stop trying to make prunes happen. They’re not going to happen.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
Aye. I don't hold it against her that she stumbled into the food writing stuff, but in 9 years she's made no effort to learn. She just relies on her maverick brain, apparently.

It annoys me because I used to feel bad about myselfwhen her recipes didn't turn out nice. Somehow you trust that a food writer with 300k followers can put out some tasty things. Now I know it's not me, it's Jack Monroe

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 39
Protected Jackfruit - what a faffy, bullshit recipe. After skimming it, can see plentttttttyyy of mistakes, but will not be falling into the trap of offering her a free editing service. No way, Jose.

View attachment 537755
It's riddled with errors! But let's not give her a helping hand. She's the expert anyway, she knows best 🥰.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
A quick calculation shows the calories per portion of that to be just over 180. The majority of the calories actually come from the 3tbsp of cooking oil, which account for half of that 180 🙁.
This is a huge bugbear of mine when it comes to vegan recipes, usually written by complete nutters (eating only bananas) or by non-vegans with no appreciation of how #actualvegans eat. You can't just take a recipe and replace the chicken with mushrooms and a bit of jackfruit. It will inevitably yield a very low calorie version of the original meal. Fine if you are trying to lose weight, but this carelessness leads to online forums filled with comments like 'I tried to go vegan once, but I was always so hungry'. Like for like replacements rarely work in my opinion. The only exceptions are probably shop-bought vegan sausages and burgers, because let's face it, meat ones are very high in calories and fat, so a slight reduction there won't do most people any harm.

Other dishes need much more consideration. In a homemade patty, you really need to include nuts/seed and/or pulses or wholegrains to get some fat and protein. Vegans don't eat the parts of a meal that traditionally most of the calories, protein and fat come from. This can be good as many people eat a diet that is too high in calories and fat (and possibly protein, though I think the jury is still out on that), but you can't just remove all of it and replace it with mushrooms.

• Heart
Reactions: 66

View attachment 537755
The Eye of Sauron was the first thing I thought of and I knew the cabal’s excellent photoshopping skills would not disappoint :ROFLMAO:

Can you have a word Poca and get our profile pictures some pineapple hats?

• Haha
Reactions: 47
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.