Jack Monroe #181 Time flies when you’re judging slop

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As a fan of facts I can confirm Jack has claimed to be 5'1.7" (or 157.226cm in metric (I think, I dunno I'm not Pythagoras)) tall with size six feet, so definitely not a size four. Unless she was lying about that, which I previously would have said was too mundane a thing to lie about but she managed to live tweet picking a thing up off the floor of a train so <whofuckingknows.jpg> 🤷‍♀️

I'm pretty sure at one point her height was deemed such an important facet of her personality that it was in her Twitter bio.
Why 1.7 though? I don’t even know what the .7 means is it half an inch? Or 7/10ths? How many little bits in an inch?what are inch bits called? Inch millimeters? Why is Jack suck a boomer? I’m so much older than Jack but I don’t know inches.

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Believe me, at this height people come up to you and tell you you’re small/short, walk into you (didn’t see you down there, lol) you do have to wait or someone to get stuff from the top shelf of the supermarket. On this point I agree Jack is smol, and she looks a dick crouching at that table
I hate people walking into me and then looking surprised that I'm there. I just scrape 5 foot but surely even the most oblivious person can see me walking down the path exactly where you'd expect to see another person.

I go for either the shelf climbing method of reach top shelf items or find something to lasso said wanted item closer to the edge of the shelf. In normal times I do force myself to just ask someone but I don't want anyone near me atm. 😂

On topic: the train story is a lie, she invented it so people (squigs/us) would wonder what she's up to on the train.

ETA: I am not Jack, I have butter and can play the piano with two hands.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Thoughts and prayers with Jack's binmen 🙏
(Seriously, Jack, get your dad to give you a lift to the dump, like the rest of us non manic pixies have to).
Southend must exist in a black bag parallel universe. We can only put out three bags every two weeks and I’m sure rest of UK is roughly the same?

• Haha
Reactions: 29
@HotesTilaire Inch bits/subdivisions are normally measured in fractions like 15/16", 1/8" etc. Nobody reading a ruler while measuring someone's height would use a decimal point instead of a fraction because doing that conversion seems completely nonsensical. Unless she did the conversion herself for ...fun? Now that I think about it like that, it does sound made up.

God, I love facts.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
Why 1.7 though? I don’t even know what the .7 means is it half an inch? Or 7/10ths? How many little bits in an inch?what are inch bits called? Inch millimeters? Why is Jack suck a boomer? I’m so much older than Jack but I don’t know inches.
I’m around her age and there’s pretty much a 50-50 split on whether people describe their heights and weights in imperial or metric despite us never to my recollection having been taught imperial measurements in school. It’s really weird, there doesn’t seem to be a particular reason for the split that I’ve noticed.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I've had quite a stressful day what with one thing and other but the whole Tile thing tipped me over (yes, I know it's all bollocks, but)..
-How? How has that thing been repeatedly trampled on, steam cleaned and then assaulted with a barrage of household items before being hoofed into submission by Ronald McDonalds trainers?
Yes, It looks somewhat used but I'd expect it to after being in the filthy clutches of someone who spends their life digging themselves out of holes.
<exhales deeply>

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
Allegra must have always been fairly wealthy though; what attracted Jack in the first place!
Also saw this in the Times’ report on the Leon takeover, probably where Jack’s connection with Henry Dimbleby came from...
Quoting myself but picture of the paragraph from the newspaper seems to have fallen off my post...
B5776C80-B732-486B-9D02-52EFBDF86D03.jpeg
3FEFAF95-6D32-4B0F-93FA-B9199270E9E8.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Southend must exist in a black bag parallel universe. We can only put out three bags every two weeks and I’m sure rest of UK is roughly the same?
Nope. We can put as many black and pink sacks out as we like every week here. It’s good when you have lots of stuff to get rid of but some people take this piss and paths are unusable on bin day!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
I know inches, there are no points in inches, quarters, thirds, halves, 3quarters etc

• Wow
Reactions: 13
@HotesTilaire Inch bits/subdivisions are normally measured in fractions like 15/16", 1/8" etc. Nobody reading a ruler while measuring someone's height would use a decimal point instead of a fraction because doing that conversion seems completely nonsensical. Unless she did the conversion herself for ...fun? Now that I think about it like that, it does sound made up.

God, I love facts.
Probably 5'1 7/8". In other words (or worlds where one eighth of an inch in height is completely inconsequential - like this one) 5'2".

Not tall. But definitely not teeny tiny - will be outgrown by the majority of kids by the end of Year 7. Unlike great gallumphing monsters such as myself, who have it happen towards the end of Year 8 by 80% girls and the end of year 9 by 99% of the boys. (I'm 5'5").

The split in Imperial/Metric is largely based upon the age of the parents concerned. Somebody like me, born in the mid 70s, only ever learned Metric in school but then had to cook/measure/whatever in the parents' & grandparents' parlance. Of course, younger people with older parents or Gammony ones would also have that experience. It does mean, particularly with the internet and foreign cookery programmes, that you can end up with a sizeable group of people who can switch between 3 or so different methods of measurement (more if Granddad's Whitworth spanner kit was in the cupboard under the stairs) fairly easily, not counting the common weights, volumes and measures used in other countries - like the Greek 'a glass of'. And it's always helpful to know that 4 x 2p pieces weighs an ounce - especially when your charity shop set of scales is missing the 1oz weight.

I do wish that a tablespoon was more precisely defined in recipes, though - a proper tablespoon is larger than your bog standard dessertspoon in a set of cutlery (about 5ml larger). Yes, I know that a proper set of measuring spoons is the standard, but an old tablespoon is so much nicer than those. (Or a dessertspoon + a teaspoon).

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 27
I hate people walking into me and then looking surprised that I'm there. I just scrape 5 foot but surely even the most oblivious person can see me walking down the path exactly where you'd expect to see another person.

I go for either the shelf climbing method of reach top shelf items or find something to lasso said wanted item closer to the edge of the shelf. In normal times I do force myself to just ask someone but I don't want anyone near me atm. 😂

On topic: the train story is a lie, she invented it so people (squigs/us) would wonder what she's up to on the train.

ETA: I am not Jack, I have butter and can play the piano with two hands.
I am five foot 11 and people always always walk into me. 🤣 I could be anywhere and walking out of there way yet they always manage to walk straight into me.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
This is going to 🔺 me but I don’t care. I used to bump into this amazing person all the time where I live. A lovely , creative and human being. Lost to us in her early 50s. Sorry could not spoiler this.
On topic I was doing some ‘work’ and this came up .

95665579-B9D4-4BDD-8A87-8387CCA84EBC.jpeg

I haven't, but have spent half hour searching it out and will watch online. Thanks for the info. Looks really good, can't believe I missed this on SkyArts.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
We weigh ourselves in stones and pounds usually in the uk, so to know your bmi you need to know your height in feet and inches. I think that’s where the problem comes from - millennials need to know feet/inches even though we were taught metric height/weight in school.

Reactions: 26
Jack, the pens, and the Pythagoras have been working behind the scenes again under a top secret identity, “Mrs Engineer”. She too is poor, so very poor she has no choice but to drive a neon orange felt vehicle. She will likely never know the joys of butter, nor a pleather lapel.

(Sorry for off topic, we have not yet been blessed with a fresh Southend chaos in fairness)

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 22
I've had quite a stressful day what with one thing and other but the whole Tile thing tipped me over (yes, I know it's all bollocks, but)..
-How? How has that thing been repeatedly trampled on, steam cleaned and then assaulted with a barrage of household items before being hoofed into submission by Ronald McDonalds trainers?
Yes, It looks somewhat used but I'd expect it to after being in the filthy clutches of someone who spends their life digging themselves out of holes.
<exhales deeply>
Awww, but it is the stupendously fab Tim Curry's birthday today, and I thought of you when I saw the reminder.
Don't let ouchy-chops get you down x

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Yes I was coming here to say...I saw this and thought of you @SweetTransvestite
321C0AF3-1929-434B-9C32-16E61B01D707.jpeg

Nobody cares what Morrissey says these days, apart from gammons? Don’t even listen it’s all 🤮
On topic - Jack just say 5foot one, nobody knows what the 7 means, it’s not a personality trait. Go and pretend someone told you not to breed or something.
Edit 🥕

• Heart
Reactions: 37
We weigh ourselves in stones and pounds usually in the uk, so to know your bmi you need to know your height in feet and inches. I think that’s where the problem comes from - millennials need to know feet/inches even though we were taught metric height/weight in school.
I think weighing even is moving towards kg for this exact reason, I’d probably describe a newborns weight in pounds (I have no idea why...) but other than that I weigh myself in kg. I do know my height roughly in feet/inches but I’d have to ask google to know my weight in stone 😂

But I also know people of my age who are the inverse, one of those weird UK quirks I guess!

Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.