Jack Monroe #178 I am a human being and I make mistakes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
God, hulme was something else back then, as was Salford precinct. The docks are all lovely now, but for many years they weren't. I went to Salford tech before getting a job at hope hospital where I worked with someone who knew Morrissey's family. They didn't have a great opinion of him even back then.

I think you know where I come from, and a solidly working class family but only a couple of miles away was little Hulton which is where the Salford overspill got dumped after the war and that was a tough area.
Taxis wouldn't drive onto our estate. I had to walk the last half mile. The gun crime and gang culture was, on reflection, really scary. But we just got on with it.

I was in Manto one night, everybody off their heads dancing away. Three guys came in, shooting into the air, everyone dropped to the floor. The guys said they were taking over the door and drug dealing. They left, everyone got up and carried on dancing. 😂

Jack wore stab vest to Glastonbury and was scared of youngsters dancing in a dance tent. She has no idea about poverty and deprivation. Even if she wasn't middle class, she really doesn't have a clue about the lives people live on these estates. Sadly these conditions remain in some areas, despite huge amounts of regeneration money being spent.

Jack certainly didn't have a childhood of poverty like she claims. In comparison to her media friends she may have not had the advantages they did, but in no way was she poor.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 71
Taxis wouldn't drive onto our estate. I had to walk the last half mile. The gun crime and gang culture was, on reflection, really scary. But we just got on with it.

I was in Manto one night, everybody off their heads dancing away. Three guys came in, shooting into the air, everyone dropped to the floor. The guys said they were taking over the door and drug dealing. They left, everyone got up and carried on dancing. 😂

Jack wore stab vest to Glastonbury and was scared of youngsters dancing in a dance tent. She has no idea about poverty and deprivation. Even if she wasn't middle class, she really doesn't have a clue about the lives people live on these estates. Sadly these conditions remain in some areas, despite huge amounts of regeneration money being spent.
My sister was homeless and back living with my mum and dad, she was going to declare herself properly homeless and another relative that was a housing officer told her to hold on as she would have been housed in hulme, and then she would have been stuck there with all its implications. I remember walking to Salford precinct and seeing a car with bullet holes in the side of it. Little Hulton was a place the police wouldn't go on after dark, they had vigilante squads with guns and kangaroo courts. It was a rum spot, still is. I never felt unsafe while there though, maybe I was just lucky, or I knew the right people.

I used to visit my friend and they were on a meter for the leccy and gas, went once and it was chaos as the leccy had run out and they were baking a cake that was part of their GCSE course. It's a different world isn't it?

• Heart
Reactions: 39
God, hulme was something else back then, as was Salford precinct. The docks are all lovely now, but for many years they weren't. I went to Salford tech before getting a job at hope hospital where I worked with someone who knew Morrissey's family. They didn't have a great opinion of him even back then.

I think you know where I come from, and a solidly working class family but only a couple of miles away was little Hulton which is where the Salford overspill got dumped after the war and that was a tough area.
Salford Precinct was the first place I was ever shot at, the Sainsbury's on Regent Road was the second. I'm really short and when people ask me why I never wear heels, they're shocked when I say it's because you never know when you'll need to run fast, or move silently and take cover. But you could speak to a good 50% of people who were in my year at school and they'd have a very different recollection of what it's like to have grown up in the same town.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 48

Jack certainly didn't have a childhood of poverty like she claims. In comparison to her media friends she may have not had the advantages they did, but in no way was she poor.
My youngest daughter has just moved back to Manchester for her first grad job...she's staying in city centre at the moment and loves the city, (although in her final year at Man Met lived in a very nice flat in Salford ) and has just been looking at a very chic development in Salford which has gym and swimming pool in the complex! ....bit of a change from when I was a student in Aberdeen and lived in very cold and damp flats with no central heating at all, save for a 2 bar fire in living room......- and it got to -24 degrees that winter!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
I don’t get this “disowning” thing about the likes of Morrissey. I loved the Smiths, I liked Moz, then it turned out he is a massive racist so I don't pay him much mind any more. 🤷🏼‍♀️ There’s plenty of people I thought were alright last century and now I don’t.
I get it with Gary Glitter- he was actively abusing children whilst famous, and using his pop start status to do it. And he continued to abuse children, being convicted again within the last ten years or so. Not playing his songs means depriving him of royalties ££££ so it makes sense to boycott him in that way. Jacko - the royalties go to whoever owns the rights nowadays, he was never convicted of child abuse, it’s slightly more complicated. It’s not the same at all as racist old
Moz ruining his own legacy, let him crack on being a head. I won’t be buying a ticket to see him play neither will I be deleting the Smiths from my playlists, AFAIK there’s no mind programming racist messages hidden in the songs, I even have some vinyl perhaps Ican play it backwards to check??

On topic - people get cancelled a lot quicker these days (looking at you Jack)

Reactions: 37
My sister was homeless and back living with my mum and dad, she was going to declare herself properly homeless and another relative that was a housing officer told her to hold on as she would have been housed in hulme, and then she would have been stuck there with all its implications. I remember walking to Salford precinct and seeing a car with bullet holes in the side of it. Little Hulton was a place the police wouldn't go on after dark, they had vigilante squads with guns and kangaroo courts. It was a rum spot, still is. I never felt unsafe while there though, maybe I was just lucky, or I knew the right people.

I used to visit my friend and they were on a meter for the leccy and gas, went once and it was chaos as the leccy had run out and they were baking a cake that was part of their GCSE course. It's a different world isn't it?
Meter electricity and gas shouldn’t be so much more expensive - it just shouldn’t. It isn’t fair. If someone put that on an agenda to try and work out how that increases fuel poverty it would help so many people. Jack always assumes people have enough power to keep things on for ages, slow cookers etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 45

JACK DIDN'T HAVE A PONY!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 44
I don’t get this “disowning” thing about the likes of Morrissey. I loved the Smiths, I liked Moz, then it turned out he is a massive racist so I don't pay him much mind any more. 🤷🏼‍♀️ There’s plenty of people I thought were alright last century and now I don’t.
I get it with Gary Glitter- he was actively abusing children whilst famous, and using his pop start status to do it. And he continued to abuse children, being convicted again within the last ten years or so. Not playing his songs means depriving him of royalties ££££ so it makes sense to boycott him in that way. Jacko - the royalties go to whoever owns the rights nowadays, he was never convicted of child abuse, it’s slightly more complicated. It’s not the same at all as racist old
Moz ruining his own legacy, let him crack on being a head. I won’t be buying a ticket to see him play neither will I be deleting the Smiths from my playlists, AFAIK there’s no mind programming racist messages hidden in the songs, I even have some vinyl perhaps Ican play it backwards to check??

On topic - people get cancelled a lot quicker these days (looking at you Jack)
Not quick enough in her case!

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Just had a book alert. ‘That Man” has a new one out in September. I bet she’s chewing the carpet, no fuss and drama. But, then “That Man” doesn’t spend all day on Twitter.

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Jack is the posh kid at uni having a go at me for “being paid to be here” coz I got a grant and they didn’t, whilst investing their student loans in a high interest savings account because their dad had loaned them the same amount interest free and they wanted to get a head start on repaying him 🙄 Telling me my part time job was a pointless distraction

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 64
Just had a book alert. ‘That Man” has a new one out in September. I bet she’s chewing the carpet, no fuss and drama. But, then “That Man” doesn’t spend all day on Twitter.
Watching Frasier this morning and the continuity person announces THAT MAN will be doing a one pot wonder in tonight's show.

Ooooo Jack, he's in your niche again. Sausage casserole (and I bet he gives vegan/veggie alternatives) with aubergine salad. Are you fewmin?

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Finally caught up. What a ride. Can’t add anything half as coherent as what’s been said already. Bloody hell.

Mon the Strickland!

Jack is an idiot and the “I’m ill!” defence is very insidious.

Between a health visitor visit, being puked and peed on, I made these :

View attachment 525870View attachment 525882
Ooh this reminds me, I wanted to add my contribution to the inspirational quotes! I know it's been done with but I was poorly in hosp at the time so think I can be let off? 🙏
Inspired by #31

Polish_20210412_162216858.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 68
Jack is the posh kid at uni having a go at me for “being paid to be here” coz I got a grant and they didn’t, whilst investing their student loans in a high interest savings account because their dad had loaned them the same amount interest free and they wanted to get a head start on repaying him 🙄 Telling me my part time job was a pointless distraction
It's astonishing how little empathy people have.

My university debate partner (whose parents bought her a 2-bedroom flat in the centre of Dublin when she started uni) once tried to get me to go with her to a tournament in Latvia or Lithuania with 3 days' notice. Apparently she had found flights for the bargain price of 400€. I told her I had no money. She said, "yeah, but the prize is 500€ so if we win we'll actually make a profit." I had 10€ until the end of the week.

People who've always had money really don't understand what it means to not have money...which is why Jack has gone unquestioned for so long.

• Heart
Reactions: 65

Just out of curiosity - is this the same area that New Order are from? Because Bernard's description of where he grew up is so bloody bleak I actually thought he might have been joking?!? But reading these recollections make me feel differently.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
It's astonishing how little empathy people have.

My university debate partner (whose parents bought her a 2-bedroom flat in the centre of Dublin when she started uni) once tried to get me to go with her to a tournament in Latvia or Lithuania with 3 days' notice. Apparently she had found flights for the bargain price of 400€. I told her I had no money. She said, "yeah, but the prize is 500€ so if we win we'll actually make a profit." I had 10€ until the end of the week.

People who've always had money really don't understand what it means to not have money...which is why Jack has gone unquestioned for so long.
Twas fairly gobsmacking for me when I went to The Big Shmoke Dublin for university too. I remember some English toffs who went to Trinity because they were too dim for Oxford or Cambridge, and they had no concept of money or manners. I spent an afternoon in a café with a friend who was friendly with a few of them, and a stream of posh came and went, having lunch or coffee with us, and we had the honour of paying the bill.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 36
I'm vaguely aware of the name but wouldn't know him if I fell over him!
Same! Aware of Morrisey/ The Smiths but can’t say I know their body of work and wouldn’t have a clue if they passed me on the streets! I was brought up on Queen, Guns n Roses and Stiff Little Fingers.

Fraus, I went to a wedding today! The bride looked beautiful but it was very odd and sad with so few people there. We weren’t actually guests because COVID but as the brides girlfriends we figured she deserved some bridesmaids so dressed up & stood outside ❤

and back on topic, I’ve just caught up. Where is r Jackie today?!

• Heart
Reactions: 45
Just out of curiosity - is this the same area that New Order are from? Because Bernard's description of where he grew up is so bloody bleak I actually thought he might have been joking?!? But reading these recollections make me feel differently.
One of my best teenage memories was going into town to do a bit of shopping and seeing Bernard Sumner driving along Deansgate in a red convertible on a sunny Saturday afternoon in the early 90s, blasting out his own tunes and living his best life. I never knew he was from Broughton, that's a bit closer into Manchester than where I'm from but not by much.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.