Jack Monroe #178 I am a human being and I make mistakes

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Had no idea Morrissey was gay*! Wonder if his “google alerts” will flag the thread like all the other Pearl clutching z list Twitter journos complaining they got mentioned in passing cos they’re CLEARLY regulars here!! v long sentence sorry x

* not that it matters obviously

• Haha
Reactions: 41
I think most musicians I like, and a lot are dead anyway, are in the problematic category. Will I stop listening to them? No. But I certainly won't get into debates about them being lovely men either. Funnily enough, it's often young people who are very passionate about these guys and are prepared to be all UwU about them.

Reactions: 33
Yes, so she has a place on there where you can enter your email address and subscribe to her mailing list. She should be explaining how your email address will be used by her. Also if her site is harvesting any other data when you visit, or storing any cookies etc on on your device, this also needs to be declared so you can consent to it?

Remember when she launched the Thrifty Shades of Beige site, there was an issue pointed out then with her privacy policy. Screenshots from @kachoochoo.
So she has 3 websites none of which are GDPR compliant. Shame squiggle Stuart isn't a tattler. I’d love to see what his lawyer has to say on the matter.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 53
Re: the whole Morrissey debacle. Huge fan as a teen, feel majorly embarrassed about it now. I think it killed any inclination towards fandom for me, I just assume every musician is a prick now. I still love Bowie, but I have no illusions that he was a good guy.

My narc ex was a musician, can’t swipe left fast enough whenever I see a guitar on dating apps now!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
Re: the whole Morrissey debacle. Huge fan as a teen, feel majorly embarrassed about it now. I think it killed any inclination towards fandom for me, I just assume every musician is a prick now. I still love Bowie, but I have no illusions that he was a good guy.

My narc ex was a musician, can’t swipe left fast enough whenever I see a guitar on dating apps now!
I don't understand why you would be embarrassed. He was throwing gladiola around at the time, not swastikas. His lyrics were funny, Marr's riffs were catchy, and there was nothing wrong with singing along at the top of your voice of you wanted to. You can assume musicians are pricks, but I don't think you should ever feel bad for dancing.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Seems Morrissey also sued a couple of people for libel, so there's another similarity with Jack. 😏

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 42
I don't understand why you would be embarrassed. He was throwing gladiola around at the time, not swastikas. His lyrics were funny, Marr's riffs were catchy, and there was nothing wrong with singing along at the top of your voice of you wanted to. You can assume musicians are pricks, but I don't think you should ever feel bad for dancing.
This is a nice way of thinking about it @Flibbertigibbet , I got a lot of joy out of my love for The Smiths.
More on topic, this is why I have very little patience with Jack’s Flying Monkeys (or other rabid fans e.g. Michael Jackson fans). Sure, it’s a pisser when someone you’ve idolised turns out to be disappointing, even more so if being a fan has been part of your identity. But just...do some bleeping reflection and move on. Stop attacking anyone who triggers any cognitive dissonance. Grow up.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
He managed to stick to his principles re: veganism, so that's one thing he's got over Jack.

I do think that as you get older you realise that pretty much every artist is a tit of a human being in some way. Then you end up debating where to draw the line in separating the art from the artist...luckily Jack is a twit AND her writing is terrible and her food is vile, so no problems there.

🔺academic Frau here.
For those who are interested. Coping with the nuances of contradictory ideas or experiences is mentally stressful. It requires energy and effort to sit with those seemingly opposite things that all seem true. This can seen with the JM Twitter flying monkeys.
Leon Festinger argued that some people would inevitably resolve dissonance by blindly believing whatever they wanted to believe.
The more aggressive the squiggles defence is a sign of their need to believe as they invested some much in the narrative.
Thankyou for sharing a bit of your niche! I am so fascinated by this whole area.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 52
🔺academic Frau here.
For those who are interested. Coping with the nuances of contradictory ideas or experiences is mentally stressful. It requires energy and effort to sit with those seemingly opposite things that all seem true. This can seen with the JM Twitter flying monkeys.
Leon Festinger argued that some people would inevitably resolve dissonance by blindly believing whatever they wanted to believe.
The more aggressive the squiggles defence is a sign of their need to believe as they invested some much in the narrative.
I'm sure there will be some sunk cost fallacy in there as well where people invested actual cash in cookbooks, donations, Kickstarter or Patreon subs, and don't want to fully admit to themselves that they've been had. Which is even more of a shame, when people have done so in good faith.

• Sad
Reactions: 32
Finally caught up. What a ride. Can’t add anything half as coherent as what’s been said already. Bloody hell.

Mon the Strickland!

Jack is an idiot and the “I’m ill!” defence is very insidious.

Between a health visitor visit, being puked and peed on, I made these :

2162DCFE-47E4-43C1-BA1C-BA3A22808320.jpeg
D50CE7AB-1252-4D1A-BEB1-0AE4835DEC9C.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 63
I suppose it depends on context. Most of Manchester and Salford inner city was council housing, and the closure of docks, mines, steelworks and factories made many, many people unemployed. Poverty was everywhere. We grew up in the 60s concrete nightmares that were Hulme, Beswick, Ordsall, Salford Precinct, Collyhust etc etc. If you've never seen photographs of these places before the 90s redevelopment, I suggest you Google them, they were unbelievable. Hulme especially had been abandoned by the council and had been taken over by anarchists, while ordinary tenants tried to live amongst chaos. I grew up in view of the docks, which became more and more run down and derelict. The dereliction was everywhere.

Morrisey, in contrast, grew up in Trafford in a semi detached owned property in a leafy suburb with a librarian mother (a middle class sort of profession). I never met his father as he had left before I met him.

But like Jack, they were far better off than most of his contemporaries at the time.
God, hulme was something else back then, as was Salford precinct. The docks are all lovely now, but for many years they weren't. I went to Salford tech before getting a job at hope hospital where I worked with someone who knew Morrissey's family. They didn't have a great opinion of him even back then.

I think you know where I come from, and a solidly working class family but only a couple of miles away was little Hulton which is where the Salford overspill got dumped after the war and that was a tough area.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.