Jack Monroe #173 I take one day off and now she’s Polish?!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s in the wiki, have a look at what was listed for sale

Not sure where the dinosaur origin story is
Wow, it's amazing how well thought out and prepared the cosplay was, and how well honed it has become (to the gullible) - and volunteer PA, well I never..

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
It belies her fundamental lack of understanding of services that both exist AND work together to support people living in poverty (despite her EXPERTISE). I've been a school leader for 20 years, working only in areas of need. The pastoral teams at schools and nurseries, children's services, the local police, the foodbanks, we all work together when we know a family is struggling. Friends and neighbours also help out, despite not having much themselves.

She's constructed a middle class fantasy of what life is like for those actually in poverty.

Jarvis Cocker : 'Everybody hates a tourist'
This is true. She had SB in a Sure Start nursery too I think. At that time Sure Start were brilliant and well resourced and would definitely have been able to signpost her in a crisis. I used to take my kids to all sorts of things when they were babies because I was lonely and clueless, they did parenting classes and toddler groups and baby massage, stuff like that. As a vulnerable young single mum she would have been right in their target group (but they let everyone in, even boring married older mums- I asked if it was ok, because I felt bad for taking up resources, but they encouraged a mix of people so the more experienced and settled mums could help the others).

• Heart
Reactions: 47
This is true. She had SB in a Sure Start nursery too I think. At that time Sure Start were brilliant and well resourced and would definitely have been able to signpost her in a crisis. I used to take my kids to all sorts of things when they were babies because I was lonely and clueless, they did parenting classes and toddler groups and baby massage, stuff like that. As a vulnerable young single mum she would have been right in their target group (but they let everyone in, even boring married older mums- I asked if it was ok, because I felt bad for taking up resources, but they encouraged a mix of people so the more experienced and settled mums could help the others).
Take it with a piece of salt, but, in the mumsnet thread, another user says her child is in the same nursery as SB, they quoted about 1300 a month (iirc) for the fees. If taken as truth it's another lie from Jack.

ETA; I might have got things muddled, this is the thread https://tattle.life/threads/19920/

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
Are you in need of a spare hard disk? I'd be more than delighted to post one to you. 😊

@Flash123 I am running out of space on my main hard drive so I was moving program files about which fucked the performance of my DAW. That means no tunes until I get a chance to do a clean install. Potentially will have to upgrade both my PC and the software as my version is a mere 14 years (😳) out of date at this point.
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 11
I think in another story she offered everything for sale - stuck prices on it all (unlikely) so she clearly offered up lightbulbs and Special Dino.
Yes people do buy and sell toys, for a quid or less, I’m sure there are many people who would buy small toys “to help out” I once sold some junk at a car boot to raise funds for a charity.
I was saying I hadn’t raised much when an old lady overheard and reappeared a while later with more senior ladies and announced loudly that it was all for charity X and they all started making a big deal of how great everything was and what good stuff and CHARITY!
reader we raised a good amount thanks to those ladies, I’m not sure who had the last laugh but some people will buy your old tit to be kind and help you out. Especially if you OFFER it, Jack you offered his fave toy for sale for pennies.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Take it with a piece of salt, but, in the mumsnet thread, another user says her child is in the same nursery as SB, they quoted about 1300 a month (iirc) for the fees. If taken as truth it's another lie from Jack.
I think sure start was mentioned on the very early blog, but I agree a lot of half truths are told. Surprised more people that know Jack irl don’t turn up here either to defend her or join in.

Reactions: 26
I can’t believe that anyone would actually buy a second hand light bulb. No one.

Seeing as lightbulbs were 29p in Sainsbury's at the time (19p if you could make do with 40W), it's all clearly brightly bollocks. Particularly as light fittings were also pretty much 100% bayonets then, so you wouldn't have been unscrewing anything other than perhaps an IKEA lamp one (and their replacement ES/SES bulbs were always far cheaper than in other stores).

• Heart
She’s a danger. The thing is recovery is a form of therapy right, it gives you the tool kit to deal with anything life chucks your way. She doesn’t need a special gold gilded members only tool kit. Imagine getting diagnosed with diabetes and asking to speak to someone rich with it so you can relate? Is there anyone high profile and insulin dependent, sorry just not really interested in the experiences of the poors? Insanity.

That tit recovery blanket is like someone else has said (sorry forgotten your @ bb x) about the girl that spends all her time colouring in a rainbow revision calendar then fails the exams? Totally performative, lazy. Same with the stupid tweets that are simply a PR exercise, probably just hankering for another tit piece in the Guardian slating AA. Fancy getting Linda from Herts tagging Jada Pinkett Smith for you, as if she gives a tit.
I don't know much about the twelve steps, but I thought that part of it was that you gave up being special.
With regards to haters, I think this would come under the ‘golden rule’ (not really what it’s called) of “accept the things you cannot change” - she’s not going to close us down and the biggest problem I think she has with us is not what we say but the fact we can prove her lies....and she can’t control the narrative.

I don’t want to minimise her feelings and this might be the tip of the iceberg for her but a lot of people have harder things they have to accept they cannot change, other than a bunch of hilarious, kind, empathetic, honest people catching her out on her behaviour. Bereavement, financial devastation, illness and conditions we can’t change are all heartbreaking but if people are commenting on the use of double denim in 21st century Britain ADs your breaking point...

I try not to be flippant or dismissive of things because there’s a saying in AA “it’s not the tigers that’ll kill you it’s the rabbits” and I know something like a problem with the car of the washing machine sticks and it can be the end of the world for me....but she would test the patience of a saint!!

Jack, this cherry-picked support group is a bad idea for everyone. People can see your Twitter and people can read here. I for one wouldn’t trust you to remain discreet and the way you turn on people in a heartbeat should make people wary. I think what you really want is someone to listen to your moans about us. Why don’t you DM the people with threads, I’m sure you’ll find your people that way?

Sorry, this is way too long a post for a Saturday morning but I don’t know if any of you read the Piers Morgan thread. Someone said in a post there the other day something along the lines of the things people bash Jack, Mrs Hinch and Jameela Jamil on their threads and say things worse than anything PM said about Meghan Markle. I found that quite interesting because I don’t see it like that - I don’t read the JJ thread but what I’ve seen on Mrs Hinch’s there’s definitely a different vibe to the Jack one but I’ve never thought there was much in the way of nastiness towards JM. I guess an outsider (solely in the sense of a non-contributor, I don’t mean that in an excluding way) looking in may see it differently.
She would like to close her Tattle thread down but she can't without publicizing it. Unless it can be part of a more general vanguard of 'people in the public eye with haters'. The more people in the same boat as her the less (possible) attention the particulars of her own situation gets.

Reactions: 24
This person’s a blue tick but still squiggled because anyone even entertaining this idea should be ashamed.

FDAA04F8-BFF6-4C95-A411-880232DF9E8D.jpeg

• Wow
  • Sad
Wow, it's amazing how well thought out and prepared the cosplay was, and how well honed it has become (to the gullible) - and volunteer PA, well I never..
"Ms Jack Monroe with a little help from the Essex Enquirer"

Can you imagine the poor Junior/intern having to edit and rewrite a passable story out of Jack's marauding, peripatetic, howling account!

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Like everyone else I couldn't care less where she goes or who with.

I have issues with how she thinks she is better than everyone and talks everyone else down by thinking she is superior when in actual fact it is 90% vegan the opposite.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this group of pillars won't happen. Jack can barely do the work she's being paid for.

I'd sell a kidney to be a BrundleFly on the wall if it did go ahead.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Oh they were sold at the “yard sale” which she invited the local press to. There was a photographer and everything, was in the paper, advertised on Facebook. Parents didn’t know, though.
Was she stateside at the time of the 'yard sale'?🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 23
She must be so
i
I

It's a sad story, story. I don't want to detract from the point that poverty is hideous, especially with a child or when the weather is tit but I have been very poor and I kind of understand the switched off fridge thing but I really don't understand the unscrewed light bulbs. I understand not putting in new when they are dead but if she lived with SB who was tiny then, he wouldn't have been switching on lights willy nilly, it just feels like an unnecessary action.
Happy to be corrected.
To be fair putting a child through any of it was an unnecessary action.
She chose not to go to her family or her son's father and family for help, she chose to sell that poor child's toys rather than do so.
The only way in the world I would make that choice is if there were child protection issues.
Every other vile/pathetic thing she does pales into comparison with that.
She has literally made a living out of choosing to subject a small child to living in poverty.
Why? I would love someone to ask her that.
Why did you think it was preferable not to ask the amazing, your words, man you co parent with, or your parents who have fostered for years,to help your son, than to sell his toys to buy food?

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Wow! Poor little dudes. :(

I imagined the toys she claimed to be selling would be the kind played with every day. I think SB was said to be around two or three at the time? Blocks and cars, maybe a GI Joe.
I absolutely believe she would do that, or threaten to do it to SB. Not even for the money necessarily, but just so she can tell people she was forced to sell his toys, for shock value.

So many of the stories she puts out there (checking her breathing, biscuit with a bite out) depict her in an incredibly bad light as a parent and SB as a very selfless kid who often has to give things up to please her :(

ETA sorry to post something so depressing, I hope it's the usual exaggerations & lies and none of the stories re SB ever happened

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 39
T31 still playing on my mind. All that opportunity to put us right, and she did none of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Wait til she discovers Dickens. It’ll blow her tiny mind
Completed it, mate.

Somebody was foolhardy enough to entrust me with the task of writing the Introduction to one workplace's performances of Oliver! I asked if I should add some historical context and got told 'Whatever'.

They got a carefully crafted short essay in drawing direct parallels between the Poor Laws/Victorian society and current political discourse regarding poverty as a lifestyle choice/due to a deficit in moral character/private profit motive becoming involved whilst fitting onto one page of A5 and still being readable on the surface as an ostensibly essential introduction to a jolly little show full of singing cherubs.

The opening night saw the local Tory boys in the front row alongside the Head. The fuckers read it and spent some time with their faces looking like Cooper's Arse.

I went on to have some fun with the Christmas Service booklet as well. Unmarried mothers, refugees fleeing persecution and migrants? Being forced to give birth in substandard accommodation with no help? What else was I supposed to do?

In other unrelated news, on the day the local Tory boys decided to use our premises for some campaigning (at the invitation of the Head), I was suddenly told at the end of the preceding day that I'd been given a day off in lieu/reognition of how hard I'd been working for the first time.

I have to play nicely with Tories at my current place as well. I'm very good at it. Especially when they read something they can't reasonably take offence to but absolutely contradicts their outlook. The Bible is fantastic for that; add a bit of God into the mix and the fuckers can't say a single word.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 43
I wonder how Jack would respond if someone asked her directly why she sold her small son's favourite toy? (Whether it actually happened or not). I suspect she would now deny it happened and blame it on Tattle lies. What at the time was a story full of pathos, now looks just downright wierd and deeply unkind. And - from what she now says about her supportive family and SB's father - completely unnecessary.

And agree with other posters that she might set up her support group, will soon get bored and will abandon it leaving vulnerable contributors quite bewildered as to wtf just happened.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 28
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.