Jack Monroe #170 Outrageous grifting dirtbag

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m increasingly convinced the editor of the Guardian is Edina Monsoon.
I always thought Jack was like a really boring version of Eddie. Both are very childish and selfish, scatty and disorganised, very unappreciative about their privileged lives, suck up to anyone who is a celeb or media darling. Poor SB is going to grow up like Saffy having to be the parent.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 57
It's a decade old now, but I will never forget this article from the Guardian:

Student cooking, including a curry that costs 22£ and involves making your own curry paste. I was a student at the time, and poor. Part-time jobs were thin on the ground in 2010. No one ate like this. No one (except maybe people called Fliss).

You look at that and realise the editors were so out of touch with reality that when a photogenic young mother popped up claiming to be so poor she'd had to sell her lightbulbs...of course no one raised an eyebrow.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 78
It's a decade old now, but I will never forget this article from the Guardian:

Student cooking, including a curry that costs 22£ and involves making your own curry paste. I was a student at the time, and poor. Part-time jobs were thin on the ground in 2010. No one ate like this. No one (except maybe people called Fliss).

You look at that and realise the editors were so out of touch with reality that when a photogenic young mother popped up claiming to be so poor she'd had to sell her lightbulbs...of course no one raised an eyebrow.
This article is ridiculous, like you say. When you're a student, you discover thai curries through shop bought paste, and why would you make your macaroni cheese so FANCY?
Having said that, the pricings are also silly, in completely the opposite way from the way Jack's are. They *have* to be, for example, calculating for a whole block of butter / whatever when you're not using all of it. It's as thought they've just popped to some (expensive) shop and bought whole jars of spice etc - everything on the ingredients list - and then just submitted the whole receipt. Any student looking at that thinking would actually be *put off* cooking for themselves because it just seems so expensive, never mind anything else. No wonder the millennials are such big Deliveroo fans!

Reactions: 39
I thought the Guardian was for folk in certain parts of Norf London ...where the shopping options tend to be on the Waitrose,Planet Organic and M&S side of things and have jobs in the 'meeja' and the arts ...(fwiw I was born and brought up in one of those areas and blimey it's changed in the years since I escaped to uni and me and Mr Spam moved back ...).

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
I thought the Guardian was for folk in certain parts of Norf London ...where the shopping options tend to be on the Waitrose,Planet Organic and M&S side of things and have jobs in the 'meeja' and the arts ...(fwiw I was born and brought up in one of those areas and blimey it's changed in the years since I escaped to uni and me and Mr Spam moved back ...).
I always thought it was quite posh too.

Reactions: 14
I noticed this earlier....I am sure it will be something worthy of praise and I am also sure that Jack will be reading it with green eyes too.

By the way, Jack (when you are up and catching up here), I know you primarily grift with the povvo play, but when do you think it will be time to admit that your campaigning has actually been worse than useless, that it has achieved nothing apart from offering Tories an excuse for lambasting poor people who can’t make their money stretch, and that you just aren’t very good at it? I ask, because I see what a young lad like Marcus (MBE) has achieved in such a short time and it’s as clear as day that you just aren’t very good at it, both THEN and NOW.
Ooh that tweet from rashford almost makes me want to rejoin twitter!

Reactions: 15
I was in my 20's when these were first marketed in the UK. I had one, not impressed, never had another.
I used to like them when I was a kid my mum used to leave a potnoodle and a "fancy" bakery snack as a special treat at my grannies on school half days for lunch.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Screenshot_20210324-122143.jpg
Marcus all up in her niche writing a book.
Oh wait, this is a useful book that will reach the target audience, by someone they will respect.

• Heart
Reactions: 82
Every time I see that headline where she says working in a supermarket is her backup plan it makes me fume! Snobby little Tory maverick!
Such a twit. She'd probably get way more respect for doing an actual real job instead of trying to ride the celebrity wave long after her pauper period is over and the faux poverty has gone past it's sell by date.

Reactions: 31
Can Marcus give up football (sorry, ‘kicky ball’) and run for Parliament please? We need him!

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Jack is currently desperately calling her agent, trying to secure a cover quote...

"Marcus and I work together all the time and he's almost as great as me." - Jack Monroe, writer, activist, cook, campaigner, doctur², washing machine operator, author

• Haha
Reactions: 68
Thank you! I have the condensed milk at the ready.

What I really want to try once I've mastered tablet is a little experimentation. As a child in the Middle East, my favourite sweetie was bought from the suq and we called it 'manna'. It was white, full of dessicated coconut and you could taste something like condensed milk. Sadly, I've never found any sort of recipe from any Middle Eastern or Indian cook nor anyone who has heard of it or with whom the description rings a bell. So experimentation it shall be.
In the 80s my mum had a friend who was from Iraq. When she visited or when we went to hers, she always made these amazing little snacks. They were like sweet doughballs and in the middle was a sweet coconutty almost paste. They were like little kisses from heaven. I was only a kid but I wish I'd learned how to make them!

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Jack is currently desperately calling her agent, trying to secure a cover quote...

"Marcus and I work together all the time and he's almost as great as me." - Jack Monroe, writer, activist, cook, campaigner, doctur², washing machine operator, author
You forgot jack of all trades... On never mind.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
'Its great to see Marcus bringing this issue to light, mere years after I, Jack Monroe, claimed it as my own'

• Haha
Reactions: 51
In the 80s my mum had a friend who was from Iraq. When she visited or when we went to hers, she always made these amazing little snacks. They were like sweet doughballs and in the middle was a sweet coconutty almost paste. They were like little kisses from heaven. I was only a kid but I wish I'd learned how to make them!
The secret ingredient is happy memory! I have spent years trying to reverse-engineer a dessert my grandmother made, which was a sort of custardy jelly with loads of whatever soft fruit was going and loads of whipped cream - my favourite was the rhubarb version. But even though I remember the taste so well, I can never get it right, because the ingredients won't be the same now and I am no longer a child. At her wake, my siblings and cousins and I found the last one she'd made in the fridge. We had a solemn and savage feeding frenzy in the kitchen while the grownups were pissed and singing in the front room.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 48
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.