Jack Monroe #170 Outrageous grifting dirtbag

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have had struggles with alcohol myself, and after a particularly bad breakup it became an issue so I gave up for a few months to get myself back on track, I just told friends /colleagues etc it was a health kick, I was shocked at work events especially when people were trying to force me to drink/pretending things were just a tonic water not a g and t etc, I would never dream of doing anything similar
I know men who refuse to include a non-alcoholic drink in their round. :mad:

In Ireland, a woman not taking a drink is regarded as a pregnancy announcement. Even a reason given like "I'm on antibiotics" is argued - "but you're grand on amoxillin!" I like a drink, but this really appals me. I think it's to do with the drinkers being afraid that their behaviour is being called into question, and worse, that it will be remembered with clarity and judgement by the non-drinker the next day. Anything but taking a look at themselves.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 65

In Ireland, a woman not taking a drink is regarded as a pregnancy announcement. Even a reason given like "I'm on antibiotics" is argued - "but you're grand on amoxillin!" I like a drink, but this really appals me. I think it's to do with the drinkers being afraid that their behaviour is being called into question, and worse, that it will be remembered with clarity and judgement by the non-drinker the next day. Anything but taking a look at themselves.
god that is awful. I feel the same about people feeling judged, which is ridiculous, if that is your worry it probably means you do need to question your own drinking imo. I think it is also partly people being worried about doing something embarassing and the sober people remembering it

Reactions: 30
Oh bless thank you, I’ll give it a listen love the repeating behaviours thing! It’s so true, if old behaviours no longer serve you why keep them?
It’s funny cos if someone gives up dairy it’s a non issue, accepted at face value and no one checks if they’re really sure they’ve got a problem with dairy and it’s not just that milk, the supermarket, or that day, or a bad patch in their life. But if you give up alcohol you may as well host an Insta live to answer all the questions it brings up, how much doubt or outright refusal to believe you’ll be met with, I think that’s a huge part of why anonymity works so well cos you don’t need to invite those opinions into your decision making process.

Everyone’s rock bottom will be different, because everyone is different. There’s nothing wrong with not having a glamorous or exciting or tragic origins story, most chairs you hear are from normal people who went through some tit and are now trying their best to work through it all. It’s mental health at the end of the day, working on that is a very normal thing to do. This doesn’t align with Jack’s desires for yet another “against all odds” branding opportunity so naturally she had the worst alcoholism, claiming long tenure recovery she hasn’t got, the most evil celeb sponsor, it’s just tiresome.

Jack sees this as another gem in her crown of celebrity, like the tragic downfall of the maverick outsider turned tabloid fodder superstar, especially with the stories she wheels out all orientating around staff / success / locations / work. Sometimes I think the anonymity does us a disservice as it’ll always be a case of the emptiest vessels make the loudest noise, the only people that’ll do these sorts of press pieces will be sick because they’ve not understood you just do not do this. Awfully guache, darling! x
I wish I could love your posts many times over!

I hope it’s not the case but to many here it might seem like I bang on about AA a lot but this is the only place I really talk about it other than in AA or at home (my husband is in the fellowship too). But with Jack, I feel like I should counter what she says about AA and sobriety. She opened the door by saying she was in AA - if she hadn’t I would have just rolled my eyes at the 200 units per week and put it down to another Jackanory. Plus I feel blessed to have sobriety.

Alcoholism really isn’t something to use as a badge because it’s a terrible illness. That’s us over a year since we’ve had a face to face AA meeting where I am, that’s really tough, even with online meetings and other support (for me, this support does NOT involve robots).

I’m a huge fan of the 12-Step programme. I would never tell anyone they were an alcoholic but I would tell anyone who would listen that it’s a fantastic way of living

• Heart
Reactions: 57

I remember having a coke at the pub once in Dublin. I had just started a new job and I have really low tolerance for alcohol so didn't want to get drunk in front of my new co-workers. Someone asked me if I was on antibiotics! Wtf, how is that an acceptable reaction?

One of my best mates is an alcoholic. He's been sober for years now, and he's happy to talk about his struggles, but I remember once being out with him a year or so into his sobriety. People kept saying "aren't you drinking?" "ah, just one" "come on, it's a party" until he turned around and shouted, "STOP IT, I'M A bleeping ALCOHOLIC!" That worked, but not a solution you always want to go to!

I've noticed the same thing happens to my Muslim friends - they get all this "but aren't you curious about alcohol?" that never, ever stops.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
Oh bless thank you, I’ll give it a listen love the repeating behaviours thing! It’s so true, if old behaviours no longer serve you why keep them?
It’s funny cos if someone gives up dairy it’s a non issue, accepted at face value and no one checks if they’re really sure they’ve got a problem with dairy and it’s not just that milk, the supermarket, or that day, or a bad patch in their life. But if you give up alcohol you may as well host an Insta live to answer all the questions it brings up, how much doubt or outright refusal to believe you’ll be met with, I think that’s a huge part of why anonymity works so well cos you don’t need to invite those opinions into your decision making process.

Everyone’s rock bottom will be different, because everyone is different. There’s nothing wrong with not having a glamorous or exciting or tragic origins story, most chairs you hear are from normal people who went through some tit and are now trying their best to work through it all. It’s mental health at the end of the day, working on that is a very normal thing to do. This doesn’t align with Jack’s desires for yet another “against all odds” branding opportunity so naturally she had the worst alcoholism, claiming long tenure recovery she hasn’t got, the most evil celeb sponsor, it’s just tiresome.

Jack sees this as another gem in her crown of celebrity, like the tragic downfall of the maverick outsider turned tabloid fodder superstar, especially with the stories she wheels out all orientating around staff / success / locations / work. Sometimes I think the anonymity does us a disservice as it’ll always be a case of the emptiest vessels make the loudest noise, the only people that’ll do these sorts of press pieces will be sick because they’ve not understood you just do not do this. Awfully guache, darling! x
I reckon it’s because the UK does have a weird relationship with alcohol and I think a lot of people abuse it to various extents. We have drunk more wine during lockdown than is good for us but never get totally ratted. So when someone stops drinking people see it as a comment on themselves and their drinking (which it isn’t) and need that person to drink to make them feel that their behaviour is normal. Im definitely reevaluating my relationship to drinking. I’m also a terrible drunk now, sleepy, cry or sick without the fun.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
I am still surprised LM accepted that weid curry with sausages dish. What the actual frig was that supposed to be? (Loved how people in the thread asked about the dumplings in the dish, haha).
My fave part of that whole thing was that innocent viggle asking what the dumplings were made of and being told lard and her confused reaction 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
That tit keeps me up at night, just why? After DKL, if anyone would have told me that we would still be talking about her almost a year and over 100 threads later, I would have HOOTED!

I genuinely though she’d go so far under the radar, the radar would just a dot if she looked up
She really must know some influential people, or some tea 🤔 it’s certainly not talent/merit based

Reactions: 21
I reckon it’s because the UK does have a weird relationship with alcohol and I think a lot of people abuse it to various extents. We have drunk more wine during lockdown than is good for us but never get totally ratted. So when someone stops drinking people see it as a comment on themselves and their drinking (which it isn’t) and need that person to drink to make them feel that their behaviour is normal. Im definitely reevaluating my relationship to drinking. I’m also a terrible drunk now, sleepy, cry or sick without the fun.
I think it happens even when the person has never drunk, Mr Bol never has as he doesn’t like the taste of most alcohol and people are dying for there to be some deep seated reason he doesn’t drink - did he used to be an alcoholic, is he Muslim, is he on various medications. It’s the only thing it seems to be unacceptable to just not like, if someone said they didn’t drink fizzy juice because they didn’t like it there wouldn’t be the same level of questioning. It’s a really weird cultural thing.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
A lot of people in the media will now only send her private messages of support I bet. No longer do they want to be publicly associated with her because they can see she is on her way out, professionally. They hitched their wagon to her when she was on her way up.

Reactions: 24
A lot of people in the media will now only send her private messages of support I bet. No longer do they want to be publicly associated with her because they can see she is on her way out, professionally. They hitched their wagon to her when she was on her way up.
she should have just kept with food writing, trying to present was just a disaster for her career

Reactions: 16
I've only just discovered who Jack Monroe is and find this person to be extremely vile and horrid.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 65
I think it happens even when the person has never drunk, Mr Bol never has as he doesn’t like the taste of most alcohol and people are dying for there to be some deep seated reason he doesn’t drink - did he used to be an alcoholic, is he Muslim, is he on various medications. It’s the only thing it seems to be unacceptable to just not like, if someone said they didn’t drink fizzy juice because they didn’t like it there wouldn’t be the same level of questioning. It’s a really weird cultural thing.
Exactly this! I don’t like the way alcohol makes me feel, and I am very not fussed about the taste, so I don’t drink. People always like to know why. I hate when people assume a woman is hiding a pregnancy just because she wants a soft drink. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 27
British culture around alcohol is awful!
it really is shocking when you go elsewhere, I have lived in a couple of other western european countries and, although my friends went out, got drunk etc, I never remember seeing any drunken fights, people throwing up in the street etc like is common among young people here

Reactions: 22
it really is shocking when you go elsewhere, I have lived in a couple of other western european countries and, although my friends went out, got drunk etc, I never remember seeing any drunken fights, people throwing up in the street etc like is common among young people here
Years ago I was teaching university students and we'd all go out together for a night out at the end of the course. Without fail, the drunkest people there would be some of the British and Irish teachers. I'd have 19-year-olds coming up to me really worried because "Paul is sleeping on a bench, what should we do?" I mean...Paul is 40 years old and not your responsibility, kids! Just sad.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 39
A family member’s having some dental implants fitted and need to be on a soft food diet for 2 months...would this be a good time to do comprehensive testing/review of all the slop recipes?!! :oops:

I see on the local BBC news today another mum is getting all up in Jack’s niche with cheap food ideas so maybe Jack needs to move into the soft food for dental issues niche so she can be a maverick all over again!

• Haha
Reactions: 41

As an Alcoholic living in Ireland I get this a lot. To the point I have silenced a pub by shouting, 'I am an alcoholic for duck's sake!' to be told, 'Sure, a glass'll do you no harm'..

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 59
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.