Jack Monroe #170 Outrageous grifting dirtbag

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love these discussions by the way...so many interesting points of view, and all brought together because an attention seeker's son once asked "Where's Mummy's weetabix?"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 68
I love these discussions by the way...so many interesting points of view, and all brought together because an attention seeker's son once asked "Where's Mummy's weetabix?"
He hadn't noticed she had sold all his toys :confused: Amam still had her Burberry coat though, who needs Weetabix?!

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Loud exhale from me, don’t know if I should even write this but Jack’s cosplay of addiction is what keeps a lot of young people, particularly young women, out of recovery programs and I dislike her for it.

🤷🏻‍♀️
I just wanted to say that this is the most succinct and relevant “article” I have ever read on the subject, thank you for sharing and also, bloody good for you. May your vegetables never be sloppy.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
Prince Lumpty is Scottish and doesn’t drink at all and never has gone. He’s put up with decades of comments from his family.
I do like a drink. However I’m a lightweight and so usually I can only manage 2 drinks on a full stomach. I can’t drink during the day at all otherwise I end up sick as dog at 4pm.
We went for lunch once and father in law had a massive strop because I didn’t want alcohol and refused to buy me a non alcoholic one so just bought me a white wine (which I can’t tolerate anyway). People are ridiculous.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
@heretoreaditall2019 Lots and lots of love to you xx.

Slugs - In my old place they used to come into the kitchen under the French windows in their droves at night. We couldn't work out how to stop them. We had brushy things on the bottom of the glass doors but it didn't work. One bleary morning I trod heavily on a giant bastard slug in bare feet. There was screaming.
This happened to me in my old house. I cried like a baby for a bit then cleaned everything up. Poor slug 🙁 being invertebrates, they can squeeze through really small gaps. We had a sliding door that didn't quite go all the way on. There was only a couple of mm space but it was enough. I fou d steel wool is an excellent barrier for gaps and slugs and mice cannot get past.

On topic, Jack's cooking looks like slug poo. That's a fact and I love facts.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Really interested in the alcohol discussions, I would classify myself as the typical British binge drinker. If there is wine in the bottle or beers in the fridge I will finish them!
A couple of years ago I decided to reduce my intake...well was hoping to give up but that’s a tough ask in the Uk for reasons that others have mentioned; it is such a cultural norm.

Anyway I read a book, listened to an Audio book, followed folks on twitter. Basically tried to immerse myself in the culture of not drinking...I failed miserably and felt like such a disaster, I began to wonder if I was an addict because I just couldn’t seem to control it.

When Jack wrote her article about giving up alcohol, think it was in The Times, I read it and felt worse. I couldn’t understand how she could just stop when I couldn’t and from reading her article I had nowhere near as big a problem as she claimed to have. *This was one of my reasons for beginning to doubt all her tales about her life because I don’t think it is that easy to just stop. I am furious about the damage that article did.

In the first lockdown I did drink more, but everyone seemed to be doing the same. The sun was shining, life was dull so a bottle of wine a night was fine. When lockdown lifted I decided to stop, I actually managed that for a few months and now am more in control. I can have a glass of wine without finishing the bottle but don’t have that glass too often as I love the feeling of a good nights sleep without booze in me. I have realised I’m not an addict, I like a drink but can finally give or take it. Am not fussed.

I kind of dread the pubs opening and normality being back to social drinking. I finally feel in control and like it.

• Heart
Reactions: 70
With you on slugs. I had an awful recurring dream about them as a child and have an irrational hate of
Me too. I can't even look at a picture of one. I get sweaty palms and they make me feel physically sick. I know it is silly as they can't harm you, but I'm feeling queasy just at the mention. Even the word on a page starts me off, so I would struggle to write it.

Wierd I know, and I was unaware there's a word for it.
Me too, horrible slimy creatures, esp if you’re in the garden without shoes on and step on one. After years of battling the bastards on my veg patch, without using any of the nasty pellets, I discovered Nemaslug, biological slug killer. I’d love a herd of hedgehogs to do the job, but they’re few and far between sadly.

Reactions: 9
They're great, and this place has been a godsend over the past few months. I like to think we'll all still be here even if Jack eventually manages to sabotage herself or runs out of personalities to adopt and vanishes.

Also I had a three bean chilli and cauliflower rice ready meal last night and the first thing that came to mind when I got it out of the oven was how brown and sloppy it wasn't. 100% vegan (I'm not but I've almost entirely given up meat, so let's say 90% plant-based 😁) and actually colourful.

edit for OT slug chat: they never bothered me til I moved to my current city, the ones you find down the alley near my house after it's rained are - no hyperbole - almost the length of my forearm. Horrifying.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 38
You'd think that she'd be encouraging a peer. Both young and attractive. Stacey can be absolute marmite too, getting all up in Jack's niche.
Perhaps they were both up for the same gig and somehow, can’t think why, Stacey got it.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
All this talk about alcohol, I had jaundice as a 20 something and the doctor suggested I gave up drink for a few months. I didn't drink a lot anyway so it was no problem. I just never started again, was always the designated driver, it never bothered me.

Then in my 40's I got into heavy drugs, for reasons I have mentioned before (grief and medical diagnosis) I have never had a joint in my life, I just went straight to the class A's. Lost my job, my beautiful flat, everything, all in the space of a couple of years. I stopped when my money run out, without help, so who knows if I was addicted or not.

I now on very rare occasions have a glass of wine, but to be honest, I don't really think it tastes nice. That is why I steer clear of fruity cocktails though because they really do taste lovely and you have no idea how potent they are.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 79
Perhaps they were both up for the same gig and somehow, can’t think why, Stacey got it.
it is so strange because they are not in the same field at all, not like her hatred for THAT MAN

All this talk about alcohol, I had jaundice as a 20 something and the doctor suggested I gave up drink for a few months. I didn't drink a lot anyway so it was no problem. I just never started again, was always the designated driver, it never bothered me.

Then in my 40's I got into heavy drugs, for reasons I have mentioned before (grief and medical diagnosis) I have never had a joint in my life, I just went straight to the class A's. Lost my job, my beautiful flat, everything, all in the space of a couple of years. I stopped when my money run out, without help, so who knows if I was addicted or not.

I now on very rare occasions have a glass of wine, but to be honest, I don't really think it tastes nice. That is why I steer clear of fruity cocktails though because they really do taste lovely and you have no idea how potent they are.
I think, in my experience and people I know anyway, lots of people go though a period of unhealthy drug/alcohol use based on something they are (temporarily) going through, so can then go back to healthily drinking etc later, whereas other people are really addicted and won't ever be able to moderate and tend to basically be an "addictive" type person. I have been to 12 step meetings (not for alcohol though) and half the people there always seem to be people who have gone from one addiction to another.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Just to chip in, I was a binge drinker and could sometimes keep it under control but only 3 out of 4 times, the 4th time would be blackout. Since I got covid last year, making me one of the longest of long covid sufferers btw yes a year of it, I have not been able to drink and I think it will stay that way. I no longer have the health/energy for it and that’s no bad thing.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 52
I wish I could love your posts many times over!

I hope it’s not the case but to many here it might seem like I bang on about AA a lot but this is the only place I really talk about it other than in AA or at home (my husband is in the fellowship too). But with Jack, I feel like I should counter what she says about AA and sobriety. She opened the door by saying she was in AA - if she hadn’t I would have just rolled my eyes at the 200 units per week and put it down to another Jackanory. Plus I feel blessed to have sobriety.

Alcoholism really isn’t something to use as a badge because it’s a terrible illness. That’s us over a year since we’ve had a face to face AA meeting where I am, that’s really tough, even with online meetings and other support (for me, this support does NOT involve robots).

I’m a huge fan of the 12-Step programme. I would never tell anyone they were an alcoholic but I would tell anyone who would listen that it’s a fantastic way of living
Love this & glad you commented as I didn’t want to do a Jack and act as the one voice™️ but also didn’t want to tag you like rake your trauma for content pls?

Conpletely agree about countering what she says. I’ve thought throughout these threads about how “well” of me it would be to call out her bullshit, is it punching down, how would it be perceived by a newcomer, etc etc. Tbh after a year of it and ridiculous sad fishing pictures just tired of her running something very sacred and beneficial to society at large down, it is just superficial toot to her. She comes across as very inauthentic because her ego is out of control and it’s all just personal branding, eg I had an intern working on my project that I could abuse because I am a very important author / I had a powerful fiancé I could hiss at in a nice restaurant / I embarrassed myself at the Savoy’s members only section, because I am a member don’t ya know. There’s nothing about any recovery work or mental health going on, bizarre considering she’s claimed 5+ years.

• Heart
Reactions: 50
Hey ninnies. My heart has swelled whenever I’ve dropped in this morning for a quick read. There is more experience and sensitivity on these boards than Mackie could hope to have in her severest, wildest and most lurid dreams.

On topic - are we on for a full moon chaos soon? I ask because my cycle appears to be syncing to the Mackie lunar chaos calendar.

Off topic - I LOVE octopuses 🐙 and they were one of my main inspirations for becoming and staying vegan. Slugs are shitbags though. If JM ate one I’d be kind of OK with that. Softy soft slime slop sausage.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 50

Cosmos are so delicious I could drink them Ina Garten style. Very dangerous.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Really interested in the alcohol discussions, I would classify myself as the typical British binge drinker. If there is wine in the bottle or beers in the fridge I will finish them!
A couple of years ago I decided to reduce my intake...well was hoping to give up but that’s a tough ask in the Uk for reasons that others have mentioned; it is such a cultural norm.

Anyway I read a book, listened to an Audio book, followed folks on twitter. Basically tried to immerse myself in the culture of not drinking...I failed miserably and felt like such a disaster, I began to wonder if I was an addict because I just couldn’t seem to control it.

When Jack wrote her article about giving up alcohol, think it was in The Times, I read it and felt worse. I couldn’t understand how she could just stop when I couldn’t and from reading her article I had nowhere near as big a problem as she claimed to have. *This was one of my reasons for beginning to doubt all her tales about her life because I don’t think it is that easy to just stop. I am furious about the damage that article did.

In the first lockdown I did drink more, but everyone seemed to be doing the same. The sun was shining, life was dull so a bottle of wine a night was fine. When lockdown lifted I decided to stop, I actually managed that for a few months and now am more in control. I can have a glass of wine without finishing the bottle but don’t have that glass too often as I love the feeling of a good nights sleep without booze in me. I have realised I’m not an addict, I like a drink but can finally give or take it. Am not fussed.

I kind of dread the pubs opening and normality being back to social drinking. I finally feel in control and like it.
I was a very social drinker in my youth but when I had children I stopped. Even now I only really drink with a special meal or on the odd night out( which is odd).

I feel with everyone when I do happen to go to friends houses with kids in tow they often want me to drink ( lots) with them, but I just don't want to. I don't feel right drinking more than one when the kids are about and it's my own personal choice.

Big love for all you ninnies as you always talk about things in such a interesting incitful way.

Reactions: 27
How is she not getting stick for this centre right think tank thing
Still riding high on residual anti-Katie Hopkins sentiment. Hell, she wrote a column in the Express about how much she loves the queen, and the Jackolytes saw it as her generously going behind enemy lines to educate and inform. 🙄

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.