Jack Monroe #170 Outrageous grifting dirtbag

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A friend of mine has worked with Stacey Dooley in the past.

She's more of a presenter than a journalist I guess (as a lot of the ground work has already been done by producers on her shows) but obviously she's talented enough to front said shows.

I imagine that's the bit that grinds Jack's gears, as she has no discernable talent to speak of and no warmth about her whatsoever.
Given that she is an actively terrible cook with absolutely no charisma or onscreen presence whatsoever, Jack is actually the bleeping luckiest person on the planet to have been given as many opportunities as she has. It boggles my mind!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
@Veronicaaa

I didn't mean it to sound disparaging of Stacey so i apologise if it came across that way. What i really meant was that her working-class success will infuriate Jack.

Reactions: 23
@Veronicaaa

I didn't mean it to sound disparaging of Stacey so i apologise if it came across that way. What i really meant was that her working-class success will infuriate Jack.
Not only that, Jack was given help to get into some of her earlier jobs. Nepotism at it's finest. Stacey just took a lucky chance and ran with it.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
Not only that, Jack was given help to get into some of her earlier jobs. Nepotism at it's finest. Stacey just took a lucky chance and ran with it.
and she got into DKL just based on effectivly bullying whoever were the producers of THAT MAN's show, god knows that wasn't based on skill or ability

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 37
Stacey was working in Luton Airport, in a bar I think? I saw her do a talk a few years back where she said she never had any qualifications, thought she'd just work in the airport forever. She got approached to do a tv show for the BBC when she was 18 or 19, that took young women who were super into fast fashion and took them to see sweat shops in India. She told the interviewer that the BBC just liked how interested she was and how she was a natural at just asking a question well and letting the other people open up to her.
🤣 Luton airport 😂 a blast from the past

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Thank you for this. It's written beautifully. Someone I know through Twitter but have met a few times in real life, who is recovering and works in this field, tweets reminders every so often and one I like is not to worry about whether it's an addiction, that's just a name, but if you're repeating behaviours that you'd rather not, it's time to have a think about what is happening. I'm triangulating myself but he is a stand up performance artist too called Roy and he's always worth a listen; he was great on the Twoshot podcast talking about his background recently.
Oh bless thank you, I’ll give it a listen love the repeating behaviours thing! It’s so true, if old behaviours no longer serve you why keep them?
It’s funny cos if someone gives up dairy it’s a non issue, accepted at face value and no one checks if they’re really sure they’ve got a problem with dairy and it’s not just that milk, the supermarket, or that day, or a bad patch in their life. But if you give up alcohol you may as well host an Insta live to answer all the questions it brings up, how much doubt or outright refusal to believe you’ll be met with, I think that’s a huge part of why anonymity works so well cos you don’t need to invite those opinions into your decision making process.

Everyone’s rock bottom will be different, because everyone is different. There’s nothing wrong with not having a glamorous or exciting or tragic origins story, most chairs you hear are from normal people who went through some tit and are now trying their best to work through it all. It’s mental health at the end of the day, working on that is a very normal thing to do. This doesn’t align with Jack’s desires for yet another “against all odds” branding opportunity so naturally she had the worst alcoholism, claiming long tenure recovery she hasn’t got, the most evil celeb sponsor, it’s just tiresome.

Jack sees this as another gem in her crown of celebrity, like the tragic downfall of the maverick outsider turned tabloid fodder superstar, especially with the stories she wheels out all orientating around staff / success / locations / work. Sometimes I think the anonymity does us a disservice as it’ll always be a case of the emptiest vessels make the loudest noise, the only people that’ll do these sorts of press pieces will be sick because they’ve not understood you just do not do this. Awfully guache, darling! x

• Heart
Reactions: 52
Given that she is an actively terrible cook with absolutely no charisma or onscreen presence whatsoever, Jack is actually the bleeping luckiest person on the planet to have been given as many opportunities as she has. It boggles my mind!
That's the crux of it for me, why is the food so actively terrible? Why is Jack so clueless about the basics of cooking after 10 years of it being her 'work'? It drove me mad for a while trying to work out if it could be some kind of weird performance art, like the Scarfolk of food prep, or the conspiracy theorist in me thought it was a Tory plot to kill off the poors through tit food hygiene and standards. For entertainment value alone, I'd rather watch Richard Madeley put together a cheese and pickle sandwich than Jack wrangle that lingreenie nonsense.

It really does make me despair for this country, the erosion of critical thinking and on a basic humanity level, the lack of care for other people, that holds really quite potentially damaging people up as some kind of force for good, when the opposite is obvious if you dig into it deeper for just a little while. The sort of well-meaning middle class do-gooder who thinks they are doing their bit when they don't have the basic insight or self-reflection to know they are making things much worse.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 40
That's the crux of it for me, why is the food so actively terrible? Why is Jack so clueless about the basics of cooking after 10 years of it being her 'work'? It drove me mad for a while trying to work out if it could be some kind of weird performance art, like the Scarfolk of food prep, or the conspiracy theorist in me thought it was a Tory plot to kill off the poors through tit food hygiene and standards. For entertainment value alone, I'd rather watch Richard Madeley put together a cheese and pickle sandwich than Jack wrangle that lingreenie nonsense.

It really does make me despair for this country, the erosion of critical thinking and on a basic humanity level, the lack of care for other people, that holds really quite potentially damaging people up as some kind of force for good, when the opposite is obvious if you dig into it deeper for just a little while. The sort of well-meaning middle class do-gooder who thinks they are doing their bit when they don't have the basic insight or self-reflection to know they are making things much worse.
Totally agree, this is (one of the) problem with social media and everything just being short messages that disappear quickly and are drowned out by other things, most people don't have time to focus on things for a long time anymore. Had I not randomly found this thread (having read about it in a comment in Sali Hughes column, when comments were still open) I would have no idea about any of Jack's inconsistencies and lies and, although I never would have bought any of her books, would have broadly supported her. I think partly it is also the fact that so often any kind of critcism is just shouted down by the "be kind" brigade which makes it hard to be critical/questioning

Reactions: 41
@Veronicaaa

Oh don't worry, I'm not a Dooley superfan or anything (though I do think she just exudes warmth and empathy and charisma in her docs, she's brilliant at just relating to people and ... uh OK I'll stop now before I do actually make it as President of her fan club. She's made a few missteps on social media through getting defensive about things but her docs are really great imho). It was more about the working class thing being monetised, which I know you were meaning that's what Jack does, but it's just that TV and media in general is such a HUGELY middle class affair that when someone with no connections breaks through, I don't think they should be put in the same category as working class cosplayers like Jack.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
Totally agree, this is (one of the) problem with social media and everything just being short messages that disappear quickly and are drowned out by other things, most people don't have time to focus on things for a long time anymore. Had I not randomly found this thread (having read about it in a comment in Sali Hughes column, when comments were still open) I would have no idea about any of Jack's inconsistencies and lies and, although I never would have bought any of her books, would have broadly supported her. I think partly it is also the fact that so often any kind of critcism is just shouted down by the "be kind" brigade which makes it hard to be critical/questioning
She says she’s a campaigner for poverty and for most squiggles that’s enough. They don’t need to see any evidence or examples of it . Just her word.
I can’t believe people are becoming more gullible.

Reactions: 33
She says she’s a campaigner for poverty and for most squiggles that’s enough. They don’t need to see any evidence or examples of it . Just her word.
It's the Guardian's fault too. And all the other media outlets which allow her to peddle not only her ~origin story~ but alllll the other issues she puts herself forward as being representative of.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Oh bless thank you, I’ll give it a listen love the repeating behaviours thing! It’s so true, if old behaviours no longer serve you why keep them?
It’s funny cos if someone gives up dairy it’s a non issue, accepted at face value and no one checks if they’re really sure they’ve got a problem with dairy and it’s not just that milk, the supermarket, or that day, or a bad patch in their life. But if you give up alcohol you may as well host an Insta live to answer all the questions it brings up, how much doubt or outright refusal to believe you’ll be met with, I think that’s a huge part of why anonymity works so well cos you don’t need to invite those opinions into your decision making process.

Everyone’s rock bottom will be different, because everyone is different. There’s nothing wrong with not having a glamorous or exciting or tragic origins story, most chairs you hear are from normal people who went through some tit and are now trying their best to work through it all. It’s mental health at the end of the day, working on that is a very normal thing to do. This doesn’t align with Jack’s desires for yet another “against all odds” branding opportunity so naturally she had the worst alcoholism, claiming long tenure recovery she hasn’t got, the most evil celeb sponsor, it’s just tiresome.

Jack sees this as another gem in her crown of celebrity, like the tragic downfall of the maverick outsider turned tabloid fodder superstar, especially with the stories she wheels out all orientating around staff / success / locations / work. Sometimes I think the anonymity does us a disservice as it’ll always be a case of the emptiest vessels make the loudest noise, the only people that’ll do these sorts of press pieces will be sick because they’ve not understood you just do not do this. Awfully guache, darling! x
Alcohol is such a funny one people get upset over. My mum is really allergic (pregnancy triggered it weirdly, she was fine until she had my brother) People get so in her face about it, trying to sneak her drinks, arguing and so on. You'd never dream of offering an ex heroin addict a needle, so why does drink sparks such emotions? It must be really tough for those of you in recovery, and you all speak so eloquently about it. Jack just dived in with her usual 'expert' opinion, and diminished people's genuine struggles (again)

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 56
I’m not a Dooley super fan either, but I definitely respect her. She has built on her natural instincts and developed her TV skills.

Pretty much the opposite of you-know-who.

Where Jack is now, it’s like Stacey had started off doing empathic, brave interviewing and is now just yelling at people with her fingers in her ears.

Such a waste of potential with Jack. I’m sure her recipes weren’t all overly complicated slop when she started out. And I’m sure there was some charm to her (although I didn’t follow her too closely).

• Heart
Reactions: 33
yeah it is depressing, especially with the amount of information available now .
Imagine though someone with a public profile like Nigella called her out though? they would just be crucified as some kind of rich person who had no idea

Reactions: 28
Alcohol is such a funny one people get upset over. My mum is really allergic (pregnancy triggered it weirdly, she was fine until she had my brother) People get so in her face about it, trying to sneak her drinks, arguing and so on. You'd never dream of offering an ex heroin addict a needle, so why does drink sparks such emotions? It must be really tough for those of you in recovery, and you all speak so eloquently about it. Jack just dived in with her usual 'expert' opinion, and diminished people's genuine struggles (again)
It's a strange phenomenon, I choose not to drink alcohol often as I don't like the effect on my schizophrenia, but, some people would see this as a challenge or ask pertinent questions/jokes. It's ridiculous!

I thought it was bad taste 'sad-fishing' to have the AA book in the background of one of her pot noodle posts. She makes a joke out of everything.

• Heart
Reactions: 60
I have had struggles with alcohol myself, and after a particularly bad breakup it became an issue so I gave up for a few months to get myself back on track, I just told friends /colleagues etc it was a health kick, I was shocked at work events especially when people were trying to force me to drink/pretending things were just a tonic water not a g and t etc, I would never dream of doing anything similar

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 51
That tit keeps me up at night, just why? After DKL, if anyone would have told me that we would still be talking about her almost a year and over 100 threads later, I would have HOOTED!

I genuinely though she’d go so far under the radar, the radar would just a dot if she looked up

• Haha
Reactions: 44
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.