Jack Monroe #170 Outrageous grifting dirtbag

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
NotJack is an Instagram account that was set up in January, claimed to be a new vegan, and went straight into defending Jack against the angry vegans on the Linda McCartney page.

Since then, the account has shared lots of photos of vegan food.

There is some circumstantial evidence suggesting that NotJack is Jack. Most notably:

* NotJack's first action on Instagram was to defend Jack. NotJack does not follow Jack, and would appear to have no real dog in this fight - so why jump in?

* NotJack claims to be a brand new vegan who started in Veganuary and is still going. However, immediately after appearing, some Frauen found that a Twitter account with exactly the same handle existed. The Twitter account hadn't posted in a couple of years, but claimed to be vegan.

* As soon as the Twitter account was mentioned here, it was deactivated.

* The Twitter account also featured complaints about trains, which is very Jackesque.

* NotJack continues to share food pics which share some characteristics with Jack's food, such as unusual ways of putting spread on bread or dumping a pile of coriander, stalks and all, into a dish.

No smoking gun, but room for doubt...
Come on - the twitter being deactivated thing has got to mean it's Jack! What are the chances otherwise?!

Reactions: 38
I understood myself: the discomfort, the guilt, the addiction, the naughty thrill of a packet of bacon in the fridge, the promises to myself that it would be the last time. I behaved like an addict, with no thought for those I might have been hurting, just seeking my next high, my next slow-roasted pork belly, chicken skin caesar salad, slow bone broth. I hung out with friends who would indulge me, encourage me. And I needed to stop.
'?
Meat Addict Jack makes me doubt Alcoholic Jack even more. Anyone who has lived with an alcoholic -or anyone who IS an alcoholic, I'm sure - would see this as an outrageously crass comparison.
I hate the way she uses language, whether talking about food or not. And 'naughty thrill'?

Reactions: 24
Come on - the twitter being deactivated thing has got to mean it's Jack! What are the chances otherwise?!
I am a NotJack account truther and totally agree. I'm convinced it's her and maybe Brexit Tin Thief (when at her London pad so has different surfaces... plus she is a vegetarian) running with it.

I tend not to believe the wilder Jack theories on here but 100% think it's her. The Twitter account thing is too weird otherwise!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 46
She doesn't even eat food like that. Tinned fish, cheap bacon, hotdogs, and eyelid sausages are her main meats.
When she does cook meat, it ends up as this rancid-looking mess that nobody in their right mind would want to eat. If you're going to eat meat, isn't it far better (and more respectful to the animal, even) to cook and flavour it well? Her big change in tactics post-veganism wouldn't have been so offensive and embarrassing if she'd discussed ''more humane'' ways to enjoy it on a budget (eg only having good quality meat once a week instead of 5 days?)

It's worth noting that her vegan epiphany article was published on the 28th of January. She says she had ham pie on New Year's Eve - so basically she hadn't yet completed a full Veganuary at the point that she declared herself spokesperson for veganism.

I think almost every vegan I know eased into it - went vegetarian, then cut out eggs, then gradually went off dairy etc. That seems a sensible approach, especially if you previously had a meat-heavy diet...but of course, far too dull for R Jackie.

She jumps into veganism, like gardening and everything else, like someone who makes a New Year's Resolution then immediately signs up for the most expensive gym around, hires a personal trainer, drops a couple of hundred quid on new workout gear, and sets the alarm for 5am. Failure is inevitable!
Yeah, it's way easier to do if you start off slowly going vegetarian, then drop things you find yourself eating less of anyway! :) Jumping into the extreme of anything is bound to result in failure, so it was quite irresponsible of her to not ease herself and her followers into it.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 27
@heretoreaditall2019 Lots and lots of love to you xx.

Slugs - In my old place they used to come into the kitchen under the French windows in their droves at night. We couldn't work out how to stop them. We had brushy things on the bottom of the glass doors but it didn't work. One bleary morning I trod heavily on a giant bastard slug in bare feet. There was screaming.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
I agree, but it's still circumstantial evidence. Maybe one day we'll have our smoking gun...

Anyway, to add to this: a troll has posted a comment on NotJack's Insta, using a handle that is a riff on the name of one of Jack's most prominent critics (think joris_bohnson). Said critic is known and respected in their field, and has been entirely reasonable. Regardless of NotJack's identity, it's not on.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 49
When she does cook meat, it ends up as this rancid-looking mess that nobody in their right mind would want to eat. If you're going to eat meat, isn't it far better (and more respectful to the animal, even) to cook and flavour it well? Her big change in tactics post-veganism wouldn't have been so offensive and embarrassing if she'd discussed ''more humane'' ways to enjoy it on a budget (eg only having good quality meat once a week instead of 5 days?)

Yeah, it's way easier to do if you start off slowly going vegetarian, then drop things you find yourself eating less of anyway! :) Jumping into the extreme of anything is bound to result in failure, so it was quite irresponsible of her to not ease herself and her followers into it.
Another frau said it up thread perfectly, you need to transition in to full vegan to really make it work for you, even if you have years of vegetarianism behind you! Most plant based initiatives understand this, so they are marketing meat free monday, or as you've just said, just cutting down meaty meals and buying better welfare meats.

Jack jumps headfirst whilst blindfolded into these projects. She just sees the money not the purpose. I really don't think LM could have picked a worse representative during veganuary. Honestly, Hugh Fernly-Wittingstall (sp?) would have done a better job!

• Heart
Reactions: 26
after trawling through the wholly original and not-at-all-tory story of (this is cut and paste from the article)

"When I was a child, I once announced to my parents that I wanted to be vegetarian. A sensitive child – quirky, bookish – I was met with: “Don’t be silly. And finish your roast dinner”. So, out of respect for my parents, who worked hard to put that dinner on the table, I did."

you get to a hyperlinked "macabre bunny bucco". now, i was thinking to myself, this sounds quite nice and this is several years ago now, i'm sure the food looked better back then...

oh

View attachment 498364
Always a pass agg dig at her parents too.
She really is a horror.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
Another frau said it up thread perfectly, you need to transition in to full vegan to really make it work for you, even if you have years of vegetarianism behind you! Most plant based initiatives understand this, so they are marketing meat free monday, or as you've just said, just cutting down meaty meals and buying better welfare meats.

Jack jumps headfirst whilst blindfolded into these projects. She just sees the money not the purpose. I really don't think LM could have picked a worse representative during veganuary. Honestly, Hugh Fernly-Wittingstall (sp?) would have done a better job!
Yeah, most celeb cooks and chefs have tried to cash in on the vegan bandwagon with varying levels of success, but even the hardcore meat-eating bunch have done a better job of it than Jack! I mean, it probably helps that they're not 'budget cooks' and have enough cash spare to keep things fancy and interesting (i.e they don't RENT) but it shouldn't be this hard to stay on a cause when there are so many recipes around to inspire!

Reactions: 19

You're absolutely right. Getting a prominent meat-eater to join in, would have said "hey, look how great our food is, even meat-eaters can enjoy them!" and he could have done some meat-alternative replacements of his meat recipes to show how easy it is.
Jack makes everything seem 10 times harder than it is.

Reactions: 25
I agree, but it's still circumstantial evidence. Maybe one day we'll have our smoking gun...

Anyway, to add to this: a troll has posted a comment on NotJack's Insta, using a handle that is a riff on the name of one of Jack's most prominent critics (think joris_bohnson). Said critic is known and respected in their field, and has been entirely reasonable. Regardless of NotJack's identity, it's not on.
Completely agree with that! That troll account is embarrassing.

• Heart
Reactions: 26

Hugh FW, Anna Jones, Meera Sodha, Rukmini Iyer all come to mind instantly as omni food writers who would do an excellent job.

ETA although I can imagine they might all say no to the LM tie in.

Reactions: 18
Stacey Dooley has monetised being working class. That's Jack's niche innit?
Dooley is genuinely working class, I think? Unlike Jack. And she's done really well for herself in a career in which working class people generally have a lot of barriers to entering.

• Heart
Reactions: 41
Hugh FW, Anna Jones, Meera Sodha, Rukmini Iyer all come to mind instantly as omni food writers who would do an excellent job.

ETA although I can imagine they might all say no to the LM tie in.
The Hairy Bikers are even doing a veggie Knorr stock cube advert, and they are the kings of meat and pies!!! I have no problem accepting them in that advert.

So many TV chefs are going for the budget and meal prep angle now because so many people are in dire straits after the year we've had, if JM had any talent or credibility she could hold her own amongst them as they enter her dojo, but, she can't, as she had no talent to begin with. She was just a lefty mouth piece with right wing views on poverty.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Comrade of Corbyn, as she wrote in that uber cringe message to him 🥴
Still don't believe she actually sent that message, just screenshotted it for twitter clout. Hasn't worked though, judging by her lack of engagement with any actual comrades.

• Haha
Reactions: 32
Dooley is genuinely working class, I think? Unlike Jack. And she's done really well for herself in a career in which working class people generally have a lot of barriers to entering.
She is. No qualifications, left school early and was working in Boots I think then tried out on a tv show where she has to go and work in a factory in India. Am trying to remember from interviews. She went from there. She is marmite, I can’t stand Kevin from Strictly either, but she’s definitely a working class girl done good.ETA she has spoken about how difficult it is in the BBC where she doesn’t have the educational background or contacts of other investigative journalists but she’s great at getting people to talk to her so slowly she gained confidence.

• Heart
Reactions: 40
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.