Jack Monroe #17 The shed is dead, shaved her head, on the beg for a left-hand Smeg

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
Can I ask about the cheese plant cuttings again? My mum gave me one in November. She said it was too big for her living room. I didn't really get a choice in the matter.

Since then it has grown on me, partly because my husband hates it and I like winding him up. It is now growing new leaves. Would it be one of them I cut to grow a new plant? I want to torment my husband with them all around the house now.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Oh gosh catching up, firstly happy birthday Lenn! What are you getting up to today?

Secondly eurgh I’ve got to go back to my midwife today, absurdly couldn’t wee or produce blood (after 2 attempts) when usually I’m gr8 at both! She’ll call me to come back later today so making myself a huge pasta lunch and downing water. It’s not the end of the world just so frustrated with myself!

So excited for a 3 day weekend though, going to do a ton of plant cuttings thanks to this thread!! ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Good day to the Frau pit and happy birthday @LennyBriscoe 😘.

I’m trying the growing lettuce from stumps thing - has anyone made this work and has some foolproof tips to share? And yes, I realise I should’ve left it to fester in a bag for rancid pesto but my CK bras aren’t going to stretch themselves, you know.
View attachment 135636
We’re in a (rented #NotFancy) flat with no garden too. Decided to try the lettuce thing and to start growing radish/coriander on Saturday and it seems to be working! The lettuce is in an old small Nutella jar, I’m going to pot it today now it’s grown a bit.
I have no idea what I’m doing though, this is the first time I’ve tried to grown anything!

F777E6D6-E372-4D37-A200-B433F7C11B15.jpeg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Last edited:
  • Heart
Thank you! Unfortunately my beautiful little (rented) flat doesn’t have any of it’s own outside space (I have been tempted to ‘claim’ a bit of ground around the back of the building but it doesn’t get much light). Maybe a small indoor planter? Got some potting compost in the cupboard... damn you fancy folk with actual gardens!! I’d kill for even a small festival space with a nutty room/trauma shed. 😆
What I did in our old place was just take over all the sides with pots, kitchen worktops and windowsills etc. you could often find pots having a soak in the sink or bath, until I became fancy, that is 💅 the back of the building, I’d have a look and see exactly how much light you’re talking, monitor it for a bit because you might be surprised. I have lettuce in full sun In the ground, and also in pots nearer the house which gets sun only first thing in the morning and it’s gone by about 11. They’re both doing almost equally as well. The ones with less sun are only a fraction smaller! Half the enjoyment of it all is experimenting, and to be honest there are as many frustrations as there are moments of unbridled joy when it comes to growing. I love it though, and now take any failures on the chin 🤩

• Heart
Reactions: 5
If there isn't a buck to be made, it probably isn't worth her time. Just my opinion only (Don't sue me)
She did (does?) lockdown larder for free (ignoring her PayPal pushing), and we all know how helpful that was
Oh gosh catching up, firstly happy birthday Lenn! What are you getting up to today?

Secondly eurgh I’ve got to go back to my midwife today, absurdly couldn’t wee or produce blood (after 2 attempts) when usually I’m gr8 at both! She’ll call me to come back later today so making myself a huge pasta lunch and downing water. It’s not the end of the world just so frustrated with myself!

So excited for a 3 day weekend though, going to do a ton of plant cuttings thanks to this thread!! ❤
That sounds frustrating but I’m sure your plan will work, good luck! If only they visited at night when it’s impossible to stop weeing 🤔

Spoiler for blood/needles (in case anyone is a bit squeamish)

I remember at one appointment the midwife was a trainee and once she finally got the needle in she couldn’t draw my blood due to my low BP and I had to manually squeeze it out which took forever, I bloody hate needles 😂

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
My best friend is a chef ( a proper trained chef might I add😂). She volunteers at her GP surgery, she approached them and they were super engaged about it. So every 2 weeks she teaches basic cooking on a budget. It’s free to go to, the surgery provides the space and the food. It’s for people who struggle to cook healthier foods because they’ve never been taught. She also does it for old people in care homes and assisted living...Jack could create an army of people like my friend and help all over the place...people with skills but not really knowing how to use them, could work alongside food banks etc. Just a thought.
I wanted to do this (not a chef!) years ago. When I had my kids all I could think about was people who might be struggling on their own.

What I did in our old place was just take over all the sides with pots, kitchen worktops and windowsills etc. you could often find pots having a soak in the sink or bath, until I became fancy, that is 💅 the back of the building, I’d have a look and see exactly how much light you’re talking, monitor it for a bit because you might be surprised. I have lettuce in full sun In the ground, and also in pots nearer the house which gets sun only first thing in the morning and it’s gone by about 11. They’re both doing almost equally as well. The ones with less sun are only a fraction smaller! Half the enjoyment of it all is experimenting, and to be honest there are as many frustrations as there are moments of unbridled joy when it comes to growing. I love it though, and now take any failures on the chin 🤩
My man (let’s not call him Mr B) gives all the pot plants a bath each week! Went for a pee this morning and it was like the Amazon.

Good luck for later @heretoreaditall2019 ❤. Wishing you full flows.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I presume she did think that - hence the laughing up a lung comment. And frantically getting her shed home studio organised. I imagine people on DKL were all too polite including naughty little Matt :sick: and told her she was doing a good job - and she believed it - plus the wierd twitter echo chamber. Maybe the BBC too had even assumed it might get recommissioned. Oops.
If she hasn't been asked to do more programmes by now, at this time of all times, I just can't see it happening. DKL should have been the absolute perfect showcase for her. If you have talent and/or charisma, TV execs will snap you up eg Graham Norton can thank his TV career for a week long stand-in stint on 'The Jack Doherty Show' if anyone remembers that!
She wasn’t even asked to do a guest slot on Saturday Kitchen, was she? I doubt they’ll (Cactus TV) want to work with her again, she took so much coaxing and hand-holding and even then the result was terrible, and it will have added to the stress of her colleagues both in front of and behind the camera.

I presume she did think that - hence the laughing up a lung comment. And frantically getting her shed home studio organised. I imagine people on DKL were all too polite including naughty little Matt :sick: and told her she was doing a good job - and she believed it - plus the wierd twitter echo chamber. Maybe the BBC too had even assumed it might get recommissioned. Oops.
If she hasn't been asked to do more programmes by now, at this time of all times, I just can't see it happening. DKL should have been the absolute perfect showcase for her. If you have talent and/or charisma, TV execs will snap you up eg Graham Norton can thank his TV career for a week long stand-in stint on 'The Jack Doherty Show' if anyone remembers that!
I do believe there is such a thing as a TV natural. Jamie and Nadiya are both good examples - they were both spotted when they featured on someone else’s show because they were natural and engaging in front of the camera, and went on to have their own successful TV careers. James Martin too actually. Jack is the opposite really, a tense, chippy, difficult watch.
People like Jamie make it look easy, but it’s really not. If Jack has any self-awareness at all, she should realise that now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
I wanted to do this (not a chef!) years ago. When I had my kids all I could think about was people who might be struggling on their own.
I was surprised about how keen the surgery was. It’s seems they are crying out for people to volunteer to do this sort of stuff. I can only make cocktails (that’s how I met my friend, she was a chef and I was a bartender) apparently this is a skill that doctors weren’t thinking of introducing as part of their curriculum 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
she really needs to stop with the photo filters, her face is smoother than a baby’s, it’s too much!
When i asked her if she used a filter she had a right pop at me. How dare I suggest she has less than perfect skin!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
Same babes. C-PTSD here too as I'm sure I have gone on about before. I haven't, to my knowledge, met anyone in that there real life with the same condition. Wouldn't wish a single second of it on anyone, but it's oddly nice to know you're out there. We should get badges. xxx
Also a fellow C-PTSD sufferer here. A childhood filled with physical, mental and sexual abuse but a lot of therapy has helped massively

4am starts for admin? Because she furloughed her administrator? So that would mean it’s a perfect time to bring her back wouldn’t it Jack surely....

Cant have a positive post without a bit of woe is me in it can we now.

If its genuinely true that he's more happy and settled then that is great, but I hate that I even question it, just because she's so renowned (sp?) for lying

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
There's discussion about Matt Haig going on over on the ptwm thread, how it's apparent he didn't write any of his books!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.