Jack Monroe #17 The shed is dead, shaved her head, on the beg for a left-hand Smeg

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Today I decided to make a good little hausfrau of myself and cook Jack’s anellini con cacio e pepe in the spirit of ‘don’t knock it until you’ve tried it’ (despite already knocking it). I used a tin of ~fancy~ Heinz hoops as those are all that’s available in my food desert town, but I reasoned this would be advantageous due to the superior quality. The Heinz ones also contain one of your five a day, as well as being fortified with Vitamin D, most of which I assume went (literally) down the drain as I gently rinsed them. To whoever pointed out that Jack doesn’t include the nutritional info in her recipes - now we know why!

It all started out quite well, the hoops remained largely intact throughout the rinsing and microwaving process. There was a bit of a mishap when I couldn’t find my cheese grater but luckily I have a second - kindly #gifted by Wilko who sent two by accident. I had to substitute the hard cheese with cheddar (I assumed this was ‘yes, absolutely x’ fine), which was too soft to grate finely, so I used the non-fancy side of the grater. Then it came to the point of gently mixing it all together and this is the point, dear hausfrauen, where it all went horribly wrong

The hoops immediately fell to pieces and I was left wondering if I could’ve used Heinz tinned spaghetti instead, for all the aesthetic difference it made. The margarine (Flora Buttery, vegan and the best in my humble ex-vegan opinion) and cheese easily melted in, and I sprinkled on an excessive amount of pepper in the hope that the meal could be saved

It tasted exactly as expected which was not good. The well-rinsed hoops retained their odd junk food taste, but reduced down the level of aftertaste. The texture was close to non-existent. It was a soggy, bland mess. I could sense Italians turning in their graves

But there’s a twist - my toddler (Small Girl, if you will) pottered over and grabbed some. She proceeded to commandeer the plate and eat every last mouthful. It’s worth noting that she has an aversion to texture, and will eat any orange slop from a jar irregardless of supposed flavour (we’re currently in the process of watchful waiting, but this isn’t a sob story - she’s a very happy child). But a positive review is a positive review nonetheless

Jack, I’ve found your calling - ever thought of writing a baby food cookbook?

Photos for posterity:
View attachment 134308View attachment 134310View attachment 134311
This. This is brilliant.

It looks like worms wiggling on a plate. I want someone to next make Jack’s horse spunk bechamel and video evidence it.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
Today I decided to make a good little hausfrau of myself and cook Jack’s anellini con cacio e pepe in the spirit of ‘don’t knock it until you’ve tried it’ (despite already knocking it). I used a tin of ~fancy~ Heinz hoops as those are all that’s available in my food desert town, but I reasoned this would be advantageous due to the superior quality. The Heinz ones also contain one of your five a day, as well as being fortified with Vitamin D, most of which I assume went (literally) down the drain as I gently rinsed them. To whoever pointed out that Jack doesn’t include the nutritional info in her recipes - now we know why!

It all started out quite well, the hoops remained largely intact throughout the rinsing and microwaving process. There was a bit of a mishap when I couldn’t find my cheese grater but luckily I have a second - kindly #gifted by Wilko who sent two by accident. I had to substitute the hard cheese with cheddar (I assumed this was ‘yes, absolutely x’ fine), which was too soft to grate finely, so I used the non-fancy side of the grater. Then it came to the point of gently mixing it all together and this is the point, dear hausfrauen, where it all went horribly wrong

The hoops immediately fell to pieces and I was left wondering if I could’ve used Heinz tinned spaghetti instead, for all the aesthetic difference it made. The margarine (Flora Buttery, vegan and the best in my humble ex-vegan opinion) and cheese easily melted in, and I sprinkled on an excessive amount of pepper in the hope that the meal could be saved

It tasted exactly as expected which was not good. The well-rinsed hoops retained their odd junk food taste, but reduced down the level of aftertaste. The texture was close to non-existent. It was a soggy, bland mess. I could sense Italians turning in their graves

But there’s a twist - my toddler (Small Girl, if you will) pottered over and grabbed some. She proceeded to commandeer the plate and eat every last mouthful. It’s worth noting that she has an aversion to texture, and will eat any orange slop from a jar irregardless of supposed flavour (we’re currently in the process of watchful waiting, but this isn’t a sob story - she’s a very happy child). But a positive review is a positive review nonetheless

Photos for posterity:
This is brilliant! I'm so glad someone appreciated them and they didn't go *completely* to waste!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
I like spaghetti hoops but why not make the proper thing if you want comfort? It isn't difficult and only takes as long as the spaghetti takes to cook

The idea of using rinsed hoops :-(

Reactions: 8
I'd love it if this could kick off some recipe-testing (not the $84 kind) but I'm also loath to suggest we all waste food in this way. Mind you, my dog will eat literally anything so ....

Which reminds me, wasn't the username of the person who messaged Saturn on twitter @dogsdinner? Suddenly, it all makes sense!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Just when you’d put the grater away, I’ve just scrolled across this new Corned Beef delicacy 🤢. I’m surprised this has been over looked in JM’s extensive research 😂
A7847CF7-DD79-4E6C-84C7-2313F4E28F48.jpeg

• Sick
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Ooh I’ve been wanting to do this! Any tips or is it just a case of cutting at an angle and putting in water?
I love my monstera - I mean look at these leaves!
View attachment 134317
Wow that is a beauty, looks very happy 💚

Probably a million methods, what works for me is cut above and below a node (where it has a join and little bumps and a leaf coming out). Make sure your secateurs are clean. Set aside for 24 hours - this enables the freshly cut end to callous over so it’s hardy - and then plant. (Or if it hasn’t been quite 24 hours yet but the leaf looks wilted, go ahead and plant). I don’t bother with rooting powder. And I’ve never had any luck rooting in water first for some reason but other hausfraus may have tips.

My best advice for any houseplant lover is to track down a copy of this now out-of-print book, it’s the bees knees. Look on amazon or eBay. I turn to it all the time.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 11

Photos for posterity:
Your service to the the cause will be noted and you will receive the highest tiered commendation.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
I like spaghetti hoops but why not make the proper thing if you want comfort? It isn't difficult and only takes as long as the spaghetti takes to cook

The idea of using rinsed hoops :-(
This is a great video! Loads of recipes are really off-putting because they make cacio e pepe seem so difficult to do, but this really gets over what a simple dish it is. I like, as well, that he drills in the importance of having al dente pasta -the very reason using spaghetti hoops would never work. Cheesy Spaghetti hoops are fine! Perfect if that's what you're in the mood for! It's not cacio e pepe though.

The thing is, if Jack called the 'recipe' "Cheesy Spaghetti hoops" she knows fine well she'd be laughed at forever for including such a ridiculous 'recipe' in a book people paid good money for. So she has to pretend like she's making something, you know .... FANCY!

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
Then it came to the point of gently mixing it all together and this is the point, dear hausfrauen, where it all went horribly wrong

The well-rinsed hoops retained their odd junk food taste, but reduced down the level of aftertaste. The texture was close to non-existent. It was a soggy, bland mess. I could sense Italians turning in their graves
Congratulation on taking one for the team, whilst you were rinsing Heinz hoops I was cooking up Heinz Ravioli to my own personal recipe....

Basically heat up a tin of Heinz Ravioli, when hot enough mix with some freshly torn basil leaves. (If you pot on a supermarket herb pot into fresh compost they last ages).
Then gently grate cheese over the top. Serve with some lightly toasted bread, I used 50/50 with a scrape of butter.

No rinsing required and honestly adding some fresh basil makes it good...not ‘Italian restaurant fresh pasta’ good but ‘there is a tin in the cupboard and I don’t have to go out so it’s comforting’ good.

Photos for posterity:

Bravo! This is fantastic, you brilliant hausfrau you! This s so funny and cleverly done. And the glimpse of chubby toddler hand is simply adorable.

The only downside is that now you’ve given her an idea for her 7’th? 8’th ‘cookbook’!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Today I decided to make a good little hausfrau of myself and cook Jack’s anellini con cacio e pepe …..

Coincidentally, I also gave it a go with remarkably similar results. Maybe we could do a 'Spot The Difference Competition' if the thread ever slows down.

Terrible spaghetti.jpg

Great idea for the future. The concept for the next book is already agreed - it is Italian /Asian fusion. Here is a sneak peek of the Gnocchi in Soy Broth.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 48
I listened to The The One Show Show podcast on my morning walking, it really made me laugh as I walked along, and if they are getting away with producing and promoting that without a court case...we are fine! (Thanks for the tip off on this.)

Then spent some time in the garden reading Diana Henry’s chicken book that I downloaded on kindle for a quid! (Another great tip.)

Some lovely parts to my miserable, jealous, sad, bitter, gnarly, trolling existence !

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
She's also taught us that rinsed hoops and cheddar = cacio e pepe. But how dare that man make jollof rice!
Seriously though, what's the difference here? 🤷

Photos for posterity:
I have to say, I'm impressed that you managed to keep the hoops as whole as you have!

Reactions: 6
Really sorry, but I can't remember who recommended this recipe for verdure in scapece

But I've just made/assembled it for my mum's birthday on Friday and it looks and smells utterly lush, so big thank you. x

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Coincidentally, I also gave it a go with remarkably similar results. Maybe we could do a 'Spot The Difference Competition' if the thread ever slows down.

View attachment 134392

Great idea for the future. The concept for the next book is already agreed - it is Italian /Asian fusion. Here is a sneak peek of the Gnocchi in Soy Broth.

Yours doesn’t look as soggy as mine, and that red, is that... saffron?! V fancy and full of protein

Thanks for all the support hausfraus, I do provide free content so I’d like to passive aggressively remind you all of my Patreon/PayPal xx

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Thank you @Jelly Bean 💚

Superb thread name @NoseyParkour.

In thrilling plant news, made a load of monstera adansonii cuttings today, they’ll root in no time. So hopefully the libel summons comes through soon, when we meet on the courthouse steps I’ll have little plants for all the hausfraus 🌱
Omg can you please share your wisdom on this? How do you cut & how is best to root? I’ve followed online guides before and failed!

I bought a load of lovely plants from patch and they’re plentiful, I want to make some cuttings and duplicate - a cheeky two for the price of one then isn’t it 😈

Also superb title x

Reactions: 3
Yours doesn’t look as soggy as mine, and that red, is that... saffron?! V fancy and full of protein

You have a keen eye, Instabums. It is Himalyan salt, with a subtle dash of Pimentón Ahumado. Fancy, I know, but I hoping to impress Nigella tonight.🤞

• Haha

Photos for posterity:
This post is hilarious, I keep re reading and getting more hysterical. “It tasted exactly as expected which was not good.”

Your daughter’s tiny hand has made me a little teary eyed what a cutie - I’m an incredibly hormonal pregnant woman - bless her for enjoying it though, I hope she felt like she was on a terrace on the Amalfi coast eating Italy’s finest goods x

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.