Jack Monroe #16 Queen of the freezer, bathtime teaser & blue tick pleaser

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Depressed. Want popcorn. Buy a bag of the ready made stuff or at a push the micro stuff. There is no way I would do any dishes. It’s a thankless task at the best of times but how insurmountable does it seem when you are down.
When I’m down it’s about al I can do to make up fish fingers and chips for tea.
The best gadget I ever asked for for the kitchen is my popcorn popper. I could never get mine right in a pan; they either burned or stewed in oil. The only other gadget I'm planning on is a Kenwood Chef with blender and food processor additions.

Reactions: 3
Yes, How many times do I have to tell you, I broke 47 bones in my foot.

1589911089550.png

The best gadget I ever asked for for the kitchen is my popcorn popper. I could never get mine right in a pan; they either burned or stewed in oil. The only other gadget I'm planning on is a Kenwood Chef with blender and food processor additions.
I have one too. Best thing ever.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
The way she writes about the book you’re currently reading being written, hitting the deadlines etc is so weird. It’s not a pleasant read and too meta. Apart from not really making sense it only amounts to “look at how I suffered to bring you this book” anyway. It’s like she’s taking inspiration from Nigel Slater’s kitchen diaries but has managed to get it totally wrong. And on top of that manages to make it all about herself rather than the food or her son. Again. No one cares how crap you are with deadlines.
yes! That is the exact feeling I’m getting from it. But it’s not cosy and inspiring. Just stressful and offputting

Reactions: 5
Does anyone have any good recommendations of cookbooks that are also a nice read? Feel like treating myself ☺

Reactions: 2
I'd like to thank you all for keeping me semi sane over this weird time in our lives. I have happily learned from these threads that all of you are wonderful and very special people. And very, very humourous. Some of us have MH problems, health problems, money problems, but not once has anyone dwelled on it. We have shared, which in itself, as strangers is quite remarkable. We have shared, planting, cooking, baking, cookbooks, shopping tips, podcasts and a plethora of many wonderful things. I appreciate and in my own weird way, love all of you. Thank you all for just being you. xxx

Saffron, pfft, Philistines.

1589912598660.png

And of course @Flumps deserves a special mention for being a seed pervert like me. :love:

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
Eh? Can someone help me out here, I didn’t realise fridges were designed for left/right handed people. I thought they opened in the way that they do with the handle on the side it’s on to fit in to the kitchen.

I have a fridge that I can change the side of the handle but always thought it was so it would fit in with the design of the kitchen...if that makes sense?

I have had owned two houses and the fridges in each have opened on different sides but that’s due to the kitchen layout not my dominant hand.
Yes, my next fridge freezer will hinge on the left so it opens towards the kitchen end of my kitchen/dining room. Currently it opens the other way so I have to squeeze between the table and sideboard to get anything out but the engineer said that it's an expensive pain to swap over so only do it with new ones.

Reactions: 2
Does anyone have any good recommendations of cookbooks that are also a nice read? Feel like treating myself ☺
Most of my recommendations will have been around a while now, I haven't bought a huge number of cookery books recently. I think Nigel's Kitchen Diaries are a wonderful read, as are both Tender volumes I have. I love his writing. Fuschia Dunlop's Sichuan Cookery/Land of Plenty is amazing, lots on ingredients/methods and lovely little stories of her time in Sichuan (it's also on my mind as am cooking from it tonight). How To Eat by Nigella is still my favourite cookery book ever. Elizabeth David's an Omelette and a Glass of Wine is my favourite food read though, more opinions and stories than recipes, and just beautifully written.

More recent, From the Oven to the Table by Diana Henry reads well. I'm enjoying The Island Kitchen (Selina Periampillai), it is definitely a recipe book, but it's not a cuisine I know a huge amount about, so it's a lovely journey of discovery and it has little sections about the different regions and ingredients and often little vignettes before the recipes. I like it a lot.

And of course @Flumps deserves a special mention for being a seed pervert like me. :love:
Here's a smacker for you 💋 you sweet thang x

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Great post, I’m looking forward to reading the recommendations.

I have mentioned it before - How To Eat A Peach by Diana Henry is so lovely. Page attached to give a flavour of the writing.

Anna Jones’ books are wonderful reads too - probably A Modern Cook’s year is my favourite to read. (But there’s another of hers I prefer for actual cooking - the one arranged by length of time to make each dish).

And a bit left field - Lateral Cooking by Niki Segnet is so interesting. It’s all about how you master one recipe and then expand/flex it to get to something else, and then other directions it can go in. Cooking on a continuum.

And Nigel Slater is always brilliant, the recent Spring/Summer and Autumn/Winter ones and Tender vol 1 are the ones I read the most. And everything by Nigella 💚

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Just read some of the book intro, Christ it's like she just threw a Thesaurus of Wretched Depressing Words at it. Reads horribly and seems like she's just used it as another opportunity to drive home just how 'ill' she is and how hard she has it. There's nothing comforting, or reassuring in that at all.

I have severe depression, that culminates in cyclic episodes, approximately every 4-6 weeks (it's one of a couple of disorders but I won't go all Monroe on you). One of my go tos when things are bad is to chuck Ina Garten on the telly 😂. She's warm and comforting and non triggering. Watching her cook chicken for Jeffery is a nice simple distraction for a bit 😂. Reading Jack's words gives me the opposite feeling.
This isn’t surprising given how depressing her Twitter is! I find it interesting that her Twitter header photo is a book endorsement from Matt Haig. He’s well liked, unproblematic (as far as I know) and I have a lot of empathy for his struggles having MH issues myself but he’s so depressing. I kind of like him but even when he tries to be positive it feels tinged with sadness, though compared to JM I’d describe him as happy go lucky. I wonder if her next identity is going to be mental health advocate, just like Matt? Or has she already claimed that :unsure:

But yeah, I agree she’s not helpful to depressed people at all, so this book won’t be. Her constant woe is me one-upmanship with no light at the end of the tunnel IS depressing. It wouldn’t surprise me if she’s reasoned that some of the greatest (largely fictional) books in history are depressing, so that’s a route to success. Which is ignoring the fact that success comes from them also being thought-provoking and beautifully written. Jack’s book will be neither - she has as much depth as a paddling pool and her writing is awkward and bland

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I'm just going back to the cover but its just so odd? Like it does not capture the mood of the book i thought she was trying to convey. Its just her grinning face. I don't get it... I quite liked the kick starter book with drawings as it felt together but most of the covers just are an ode to her. People really do just buy her books because she wrote them huh

Allegedly

Reactions: 7
Jack’s book will be neither - she has as much depth as a paddling pool and her writing is awkward and bland
That reminds me of the (possibly apocryphal) military evaluation "has reached rock bottom and has now started to dig" for some reason.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Any of rachel roddy! Might be slightly biased as I used to live in Rome ( where she lives) but her writings great and really good recipes too

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.