Jack Monroe #16 Queen of the freezer, bathtime teaser & blue tick pleaser

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you. You've reassured me a bit. Still struggling to phrase it in a way that doesn't sound completely creepy though.
I think just go with how you've put it here. It's your Mum's 70th, lockdown means it won't be quite the celebration you had in mind, she's a huge fan and it would mean the world to her if he sent her a birthday message. The worst he can do is not respond. But just imagine your Mum's face if he comes through!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Just catching up and still a few pages behind but @poppycat has just pulled my feathers (in a lovely way). I’m with you in feeling that her eating shows signs of disorder; the emphasis on volume and value above taste, texture, pleasure. You know how you read about athletes extreme diets - Michael Phelps eating 4kgs of butter mash for breakfast etc... it puts me in mind of that food for fuel not pleasure mindset. I relate to that as one of my signs of being in a dodgy headspace is working out the minimal amount to wolf down - ideally quickly enough to disguise any pleasure or feeling. It all pings a really sad recognition.

Howevs... Naturli butter is incredible. Pre-vegan I was a butter snob but I can happily lick the melty Naturli toast knife. I changed a couple of our lockdown grocery deliveries to Sainsbury’s just so I could stock up on it. BUT I found it online doing my usual Waitrose (fancy witch) shop today. Made me fizz like bean juice on a hot stove.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I think just go with how you've put it here. It's your Mum's 70th, lockdown means it won't be quite the celebration you had in mind, she's a huge fan and it would mean the world to her if he sent her a birthday message. The worst he can do is not respond. But just imagine your Mum's face if he comes through!
@Flumps Go on, ask him.

Thank you. You've reassured me a bit. Still struggling to phrase it in a way that doesn't sound completely creepy though.
Go on, do it. Its mums 70th. :) She would love it.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
@Flumps Go on, ask him.
Done it! Chuh, *influencers*.

(Thank you, lovely witches, wise not to let my weird social anxiety things stop me from trying to do nice stuff. x)

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Full thing takes about 10 mins and is really comforting. Keeps well, maybe just add some milk if microwaving.
I don’t have milk, can I use horse spunk instead?

WE MUST NEVER LET THIS GO UNSAID. JUST PICKING UP THE SLACK FOR MY FRAUS 💁🏻‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 15

(Thank you, lovely witches, wise not to let my weird social anxiety things stop me from trying to do nice stuff. x)
Yay. You rock Flumps.

Who coined the phrase “Fridge Truther” yesterday? @Veronicaaa How wise you were!!!

please let the Smeg Fridge be the tissue that wipes away the fog of gullibility from the world, revealing the absolute fecking CON ARTIST (fake firefighter, fake poor person, fake cook, god the list is endless...) beneath. Jack’s Gerald Ratner moment, perhaps.

Of all the crappy truth-bending tit she’s done, Kickstarter aside, this has really incensed me 🤬
Don't let it get to you Raker. I have a feeling that 3 freezers Monroe also has a couple of fridges and looking for that pat on the back from her more sycophant twatters. Go on Jack, you deserve it, you work so hard, your recipes are divine and you are a national treasure. Bladdy bladdy bladdy.

Naturli butter is incredible
I want to try it now.

BTW does anyone have a screenshot of when she was putting out her begging bowl during lock down.

I'll just leave this here while I get a gin. BTW, speaking of fridges, we have a fridge freeze that has one of those water dispensers, where you fill it up with water and when you want cold water, well you pop a glass under and fill er up. Much to the amusement of my old boy, today I filled it with gin. Warm out there innit.

1589826387970.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Slightly O/T but I just want to thank the poster who put up a smitten kitchen recipe for grilled cheese and courgette sandwiches about a week ago.

Made the filling and had it with a baked spud. Delicious!
That was me! Yay I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

For further courgette and cheese joy: I tried this recipe the other day as my Stepson LOVES Mexican food and I'm practising for when I can cook for him again post lockdown. I wasn't expecting much (Mexican hasn't really been my bag, historically) but they are 🔥 - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/grilled-courgette-bean-cheese-quesadilla

(I omitted coriander: the devil's leaf)

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I want to try it now.
Do it! The block version is brilliant too. Also for other veegs/plant curious people the Violife feta is delicious. Not sharp and crumbly like sheep feta but rich and creamy like a gooey goat’s cheese. I really feel that JM has missed out on the delight in finding alternatives and being creative that being vegan gives you. Oh, and CoYo! That stuff makes me 🤤.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

Fingers crossed for you and your Mum, Flumps. For what it's worth, I did something similar for friends recently. They are very far away from me and were going through a hard time. I spotted a (very minor) celeb on the street who they love and so I asked him if I could take a photo of him just for them. I had the mad internal gallops you feel when you're doing something cringey but he was really kind and they were so happy because it was completely out of the blue. I hope that Osman is a mensch! XX

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
(I omitted coriander: the devil's leaf)
Also known as Cilantro, the worst herb known to mankind.

Do it! The block version is brilliant too. Also for other veegs/plant curious people the Violife feta is delicious. Not sharp and crumbly like sheep feta but rich and creamy like a gooey goat’s cheese. I really feel that JM has missed out on the delight in finding alternatives and being creative that being vegan gives you. Oh, and CoYo! That stuff makes me 🤤.
I am going to and let you know what I think. I love feta cheese an awful lot, with olives and breadsticks. We went a week being veggie heads and although I could block the Thames up with all that pooping, I really enjoyed it. The food, not the pooping.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
@Flumps fingers crossed for an answer! He seems to be a good sort so hope he comes through.

@HarderFaster thank you! I love Mexican food too so very keen to give that one a go.

Reactions: 4
I'm not well off enough to even look at SMEG fridges, but why would she want one when they are (according to various sources) pretty small inside? Is it a brand thing, keeping up with the Joneses, or does she actually not require as much room as she would have us believe? Do not understand.
Bought a pale blue Smeg years ago from a second-hand shop in Brockley. It looked gorge, I loved it. But it really was too small inside. Too small for a growing family so when the door seal went west (for the second time) we ditched ut. I feel bad that I wasted my hard-earned shekels on it TBH.

Reactions: 7
These threads give me life. I've had a fairly tit weekend and it being mental health awareness week this week has really triggered me because I'm too bloody aware of mental health rn thanks but this thread has cheered me up. I will NOT be making any depressipes at this time. I made chili in the slow cooker and then ordered take away instead. That is an act of self love.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.