Jack Monroe #16 Queen of the freezer, bathtime teaser & blue tick pleaser

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just had lunch, not a huge event but cut my own salad leaves. Have been enjoying them for the last couple of weeks, they are a mixture of leaves that are cut and come again.

I planted these on day 1 of DK, the same day that Adam Frost tried to suggest planting lettuce or herbs, but if you remember Jack dragged it down to talking about people that have no outdoor space (genuinely have sympathy if that is the case but why can‘t we appreciate that some people do have space!)

I potted all seeds in pots, they are growing well and I don’t have to buy bagged salad. If Adam had been allowed to talk to people that have pots and space more people could be doing the same. For anyone who is interested he does a life on Insta on Fridays at 5pm.
Have you seen where people have used the core of a lettuce to regrow it by suspending it in water?

I also saw someone on FB say they grew tomatoes after burying a slice of tomato in compost.
FBDE9D5E-7135-4F65-9BAB-A43F7C20FAE7.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Just my opinion m’lud but it strikes me the only MH Jack cares about is her own, and will use anything to cash in!
You nailed it right there!

I don’t get this at all (along with lots of her behaviour) why do you need to know which defrost quickly? Seems utterly pointless to me!
The stupid bint should know that you can get sick from defrosting stuff at room temperature. Defrost in the fridge.

Reactions: 7
Right, so everyone knows that the fridge breaking didn’t happen don’t we?
If it had, sure as hell there would’ve been a woe is me potatoes et al all over the kitchen and the door flung open and all these ingredients for us to see. The lack of pictures and evidence means it didn’t happen and was just a reason to bring Bourdain and that tit recipe into discussion.

She really is one of the weirdest people I’ve ever witnessed online and in person. Nothing, and I mean nothing adds up about her. There’s so many different strands that are all lies and attention seeking and that’s why we’ve got so many threads about her. It’s like her life is one big lie. Along with the censorship on her social media.

I find the whole recipes thing intriguing, how do these things actually get to print when it’s basically spaghetti hoops with cheese and pepper? A child could make that, surely that’s plagiarism from Heinz or something?

Also, could someone tell me what that piece of hair is at the front of her head? It just looks weird. Any news about Louisa and if she actually has moved out? And whoever keeps posting the hideous selfies of her, please stop, I nearly choked on my tea last night 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
She has to accept people are allowed to express an opinion - especially when they have either paid for a book or the TV licence.

maybe you’re only allowed to have a dissenting opinion when you’re being paid by the word in The Guardian?

• Haha
This is from a couple of months ago, but it made me laugh. There's only four ingredients in the recipe, but she says to "leave out anything you don't have to hand". Why not just offer helpful tips on substitutions? That's what I really love in a chef/cookbook, someone who offers up a host of alternatives. Saying "oh just don't bother with those ingredients" makes me think they're not vital to the recipe, in which case why are we even making this dish? (Not that, even hypothetically, I'd be making this)

Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 15.00.04.png

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
I find the whole recipes thing intriguing, how do these things actually get to print when it’s basically spaghetti hoops with cheese and pepper? A child could make that, surely that’s plagiarism from Heinz or something?
So, my friend’s sister-in-law was a home economist and food stylist for some very well known household name TV chefs (books and programmes) back in the 90s. As well as doing all the dogsbody work (chopping, arranging, washing up etc.), she spent ages cooking the dishes over and over until they were suitable for publishing. This is CLEARLY not happening here. Would the publisher take the cost of testing the recipes out of her advance? Expect her to pay independently? Is this why it’s not happening?

St Yotam of the Blessed Ottolenghis always name checks his testers! He says he’s so used to working in restaurant kitchens he really needs help to translate his recipes into something that can be done at home on domestic equipment, and logically and clearly describing the steps. He has said he couldn’t work without them on many occasions.

Do you think this might be why there is an absolute chasm of quality between Blessed Yotam of the Many Ingredients and St Jack Martyr of the Mushy Hoop ? (Also cross reference to cookery training: lots of vs none)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 28
Just had lunch, not a huge event but cut my own salad leaves. Have been enjoying them for the last couple of weeks, they are a mixture of leaves that are cut and come again.
You cut your own salad leaves? I think you are on the wrong thread. In this thread we wait until they are starting to rot, shove them in a jar with some jif lemon juice (not real lemon juice as this is not the thread for fancy people) and leave them in a bit longer.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 35
do Checkout assistants usually inquire about what you’re going to do with your sausages?
To be fair, they often do where I live - a small town with mostly familiar faces coming and going. The Co-op staff are a particularly chatty, friendly bunch, whether you're in the mood for it or not. I remember that once I was buying something like a couple of lemons, a roll of tin foil and a bottle of wine, and the lady said "Ooh, it looks like someone's going to have a fun night tonight!". I know, me neither.

That said, Jack's little sausage story sounds dubious to me. What was to be gained - apart from maybe food poisoning - from defrosting sausages in different parts of the house? Like pretty much everything she says, it doesn't make sense when you hold it up to the light. I just think she can't help lying and embellishing at every turn, even when it comes to small everyday occurrences.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
So, my friend’s sister-in-law was a home economist and food stylist for some very well known household name TV chefs (books and programmes) back in the 90s. As well as doing all the dogsbody work (chopping, arranging, washing up etc.), she spent ages cooking the dishes over and over until they were suitable for publishing. This is CLEARLY not happening here. Would the publisher take the cost of testing the recipes out of her advance? Expect her to pay independently? Is this why it’s not happening?

St Yotam of the Blessed Ottolenghis always name checks his testers! He says he’s so used to working in restaurant kitchens he really needs help to translate his recipes into something that can be done at home on domestic equipment, and logically and clearly describing the steps. He has said he couldn’t work without them on many occasions.

Do you think this might be why there is an absolute chasm of quality between Blessed Yotam of the Many Ingredients and St Jack Martyr of the Mushy Hoop ? (Also cross reference to cookery training: lots of vs none)
I’ve said similar on a previous thread. I’d really like an ELI5 of how writing a cookbook works because surely they have to be tested?! I’m a cookbook hoarder and I have always assumed that the recipes have at least been cooked, tested and tasted before they made it into the book. I’ve also said this before but another social media cook (he cooks meals for £) is currently writing a book. On his Instagram he literally says, “Gotta write 5 recipes today” and he’ll sit at his laptop, thinking up what recipe to write next. No testing seems to be involved. So I wonder if what he types up gets sent to someone else to test? It makes me question how people end up with book deals without actually putting much effort into any of it.

Reactions: 8
Right, so everyone knows that the fridge breaking didn’t happen don’t we?
If it had, sure as hell there would’ve been a woe is me potatoes et al all over the kitchen and the door flung open and all these ingredients for us to see. The lack of pictures and evidence means it didn’t happen and was just a reason to bring Bourdain and that tit recipe into discussion.

She really is one of the weirdest people I’ve ever witnessed online and in person. Nothing, and I mean nothing adds up about her. There’s so many different strands that are all lies and attention seeking and that’s why we’ve got so many threads about her. It’s like her life is one big lie. Along with the censorship on her social media.
What I am curious about is how far does she take the lies? Would she lie to her family about the fridge breaking? What about Louisa, especially if she was living there under ‘normal’ circumstances? Does she lie to everyone or does she admit she fakes crap for Twitter?

It’s bizarre enough to witness as a stranger, my head would be a mess if I actually knew her

Reactions: 12
Jack doesn't bake, she bungs stuff together and hopes for the best.

BTW I wasn't being nasty when I asked about having that much butter in the fridge, I have butter but in the freezer. Take out 250 g when I need it.
Butter you actually don’t need to keep in the fridge, I never do ( obviously depends on how hot it is where you live but in the Uk this is fine)

Reactions: 5
I... just can’t imagine what state they would be in after that. Are these recipes tested by anyone at all prior to publication?
After 'Veganish', I'm really not sure. There was a recipe for spinach gnocchi that felt wrong when I read it, and was definitely wrong when I made it. I mean, falling-apart-in-the-pan wrong.

I'm a confident and capable cook, and it just didn't work at all.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.