Jack Monroe #16 Queen of the freezer, bathtime teaser & blue tick pleaser

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Who keeps 1 kilo of butter in their fridge?
Not defending JM here but it's not that much, particularly if you bake a lot - 2 of those 500g tubs of spreadable stuff, for example.

I've definitely had that much at one time - wouldn't stick it in all in mash though as that's way too much. And I bloody LOVE butter.

Reactions: 3
Did she?! I missed that. What was she saying?
I posted about it way back in thread #1 I think but not with any screen grabs. She was just having a typical sadfishing whinge that she’d had a poor review and focused on the sandwich aspect.. that she liked sandwiches and would NOT apologise for that 😒

Cue lots of her sycophantic followers leaving weird OTT five star reviews about how they particularly loved the sandwich chapter.

I recall it being very eye-opening to me at the time as an insight into how she operates and how she was incredibly precious.

It’s not even a rudely worded or unfair review - the person made their point politely and with examples. Jack was totally unable to let it go.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
That spaghetti hoop monstrosity has actually angered me. It's just such blatant bullshit for her to take up space on a page. A 500g bag of value pasta is under £1 isn't it? Just bleeping cook some of that and have it with cheese, butter, salt and pepper. Or have hoops on toast. Or on a baked tattie. Or maybe with a potato waffle. She makes meals into a form of self flagellation.
The more I see of her 'recipes' the more I think that she hates food.
She's mentioned having an eating disorder in the past, whether this is true or not her attitude towards food reminds me of the disordered eating patterns of those who do - slopping together items regardless of how they will taste (with her it's under the guise of it being *cheap*), eating large quantities totally out of proportion to what would be adequate for a normal meal (on DKL she constantly suggested that she ate huge unrealistic amounts, Matt's face was a picture at times at the ridiculous comments).
This is just my opinion but she doesn't present as someone with a healthy attitude towards food, there is no sense of enjoyment in the process of cooking or taste, and I'm not sure what she hopes to achieve by insinuating that she eats enormous amounts of food that frankly would be impossible at one sitting. Again please be aware m'lud I am merely expressing an opinion based on my interpretation of her own comments.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
I posted about it way back in thread #1 I think but not with any screen grabs. She was just having a typical sadfishing whinge that she’d had a poor review and focused on the sandwich aspect.. that she liked sandwiches and would NOT apologise for that 😒

Cue lots of her sycophantic followers leaving weird OTT five star reviews about how they particularly loved the sandwich chapter.

I recall it being very eye-opening to me at the time as an insight into how she operates and how she was incredibly precious.

It’s not even a rudely worded or unfair review - the person made their point politely and with examples. Jack was totally unable to let it go.
Wow. The fans are truly rabid, aren't they. It's really like she goes "Sic 'em, boys", and the crowds (hounds, as she called them herself, I think) do as they're told.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
Not defending JM here but it's not that much, particularly if you bake a lot - 2 of those 500g tubs of spreadable stuff, for example.

I've definitely had that much at one time - wouldn't stick it in all in mash though as that's way too much. And I bloody LOVE butter.
Jack doesn't bake, she bungs stuff together and hopes for the best.

BTW I wasn't being nasty when I asked about having that much butter in the fridge, I have butter but in the freezer. Take out 250 g when I need it.

Reactions: 6
Yes the veganish book is vegan.

It’s the bootstrap book that had the weird “contraband” chapter of meat recipes.

Jack took to twitter to complain bitterly about that review. It was so odd.
oh I see, my mistake, getting things confused.
Was clearly another bandwagon, why be so opinionated about veganism only to retract it a few months later. Odd. She seems to be trying to appeal to the many, not the few.

Reactions: 6

Interesting - it mirrors exactly her patrolling of the DK Twitter leaping on anything slightly negative. She has to accept people are allowed to express an opinion - especially when they have either paid for a book or the TV licence.

Reactions: 16
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Jack doesn't bake, she bungs stuff together and hopes for the best.

BTW I wasn't being nasty when I asked about having that much butter in the fridge, I have butter but in the freezer. Take out 250 g when I need it.
I haven’t ever frozen butter, nor cheese, Does the butter taste the same afterwards?

Reactions: 1
To be fair I accidentally now have 1 kg of butter in my fridge , didn't even know it came in that big a tub but my online delivery subbed it so it is possible
I feel the need to confess to having 3 x 225g tubs of Naturli vegan butter (so delicious, it tastes just like Lurpak!) in my fridge but my excuse is that it's only available in Sainsburys so have to stock up when it's on offer …………...;)

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I find it so surprising that more vegans have not given her a real mouthful, regarding cashing in on something they truly believe, and love by? I know she reported my very innocuous comment and blocked me immediately, so all I can think is she gets rid of anyone complaining on her Twitter. Surely no self respecting vegan still supports her and stands up for her?

Reactions: 14
Interesting - it mirrors exactly her patrolling of the DK Twitter leaping on anything slightly negative. She has to accept people are allowed to express an opinion - especially when they have either paid for a book or the TV licence.
Yes, people are allowed to not like her books. I actually bought into the hype around tin can cook and got myself a copy - wasn't impressed and gave it away to a charity shop.

I can understand why people would be upset by a bad review of a book you've written but the vast majority of writers accept that they're a fact of life. Hounding someone for giving your book a bad review is odd and unpleasant behaviour.

Reactions: 9
I can imagine the stewssaka 🤢
And balaclavabaklava almost made me laugh up a lung!

Just catching up but had to say @Instabums if you sling that just coughed up lung in a bowl and stick a “froached“ egg (I.e. if despite many years of cooking you somehow can’t tell the difference between fried and poached once you’ve finished with it, that’s perfect) on top and finally sprinkle liberally with either a packet of spicy niknaks or some slightly stale scampi flavoured fries (obvs depends on
your own levels of nausea on opening these stinkers), you’ll have yourself a divine, waste-free, semi-nutritious lunch. With very little washing up, do you’ve more time to sit in the garden, looking hawt.

hope this helps xx

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Just catching up but had to say @Instabums if you sling that just coughed up lung in a bowl and stick a “froached“ egg (I.e. if despite many years of cooking you somehow can’t tell the difference between fried and poached once you’ve finished with it, that’s perfect) on top and finally sprinkle liberally with either a packet of spicy niknaks or some slightly stale scampi flavoured fries (obvs depends on
your own levels of nausea on opening these stinkers), you’ll have yourself a divine, waste-free, semi-nutritious lunch. With very little washing up, do you’ve more time to sit in the garden, looking hawt.

hope this helps xx
*froached egg* - brilliant 😂😂😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
oh I see, my mistake, getting things confused.
Was clearly another bandwagon, why be so opinionated about veganism only to retract it a few months later. Odd. She seems to be trying to appeal to the many, not the few.
Well the title is confusing - Veganish suggests not fully vegan, surely. It was just a way to cash in on the word without the commitment.

It’s also mega confusing that she released a book with meat and fish when she claimed to be vegan. And then a vegan book when she claimed that she was no longer vegan o_Oo_Oo_O

And even in the Bootstrap book, produced and published when she was vegan, she says she does not consume animal products directly opposite a close up of a new and obviously leather tool belt. So she was always a total fake.

Attachments

• Angry
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.