Jack Monroe #156 Super crabby ADHD faux vegan is mendacious

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t understand how she has such a simplistic view of society.

She seems to think that everyone who went to grammar school should have got 9 GCSEs and be automatically afforded a certain way of life.

Some people go to what are considered the best universities in the world, suffer breakdowns and are never able to work again.

Some people leave the most challenging schools in the country with no qualifications, go back to college and end up in jobs (of varying types) that they love.

There are no rules. We are not the USA. There is no UK dream.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
Tea eggs are delicious!

Not Jack's tea eggs, obviously.

On schooling:

View attachment 459229

From Potatoes, one of the many asides in which she directly addresses Tattle.

I can't comment on what her school did or didn't do, but if they pulled her out of anything she was predicted below a B in, and she still flat-out failed 2,5 of the 7 she sat, their prediction methods leave a lot to be desired.

It would also seem like an opportune moment to mention her apparent expulsion, but she never did until it recently became part of the canon. Funny that.
I might try them if I could find a good recipe ,but I think I would eat them with my eyes closed 😀. I remember boiling eggs in beetroot pickle when I was a kid for Easter .

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Tea eggs are delicious!

Not Jack's tea eggs, obviously.

On schooling:

View attachment 459229

From Potatoes, one of the many asides in which she directly addresses Tattle.

I can't comment on what her school did or didn't do, but if they pulled her out of anything she was predicted below a B in, and she still flat-out failed 2,5 of the 7 she sat, their prediction methods leave a lot to be desired.

It would also seem like an opportune moment to mention her apparent expulsion, but she never did until it recently became part of the canon. Funny that.
Sorry to go back to this, I am slowly waking up. But she literally says here that she took more than enough exams to do her A Levels, and she just didn't manage to pass them. How is this the school's fault? She implied yesterday that the reason she didn't get enough exams to do A Levels was because she wasn't allowed to sit enough exams but clearly that's bullshit. Also she says here, in POTATOES, that anything below a B (so a C or under) was a predicted 'fail' and yet yesterday she implied that anything below an A was a fail - her "predicted Bs and Cs". If she was predicted a B she would have been able to sit the exams? Presumably she got mainly Bs and Cs in her 'pass' grades, otherwise I'm sure she would have told us she got all As, as she mentions she got an A* in her little half exam?

Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 08.58.32.png

ETA TL;DR she's chatting tit to make it seem like it's someone else's fault she didn't pass some of the 7 GCSEs she sat. Because nothing's ever Jack's fault, the whole world is just out to get her.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 65
Sorry to go back to this, I am slowly waking up. But she literally says here that she took more than enough exams to do her A Levels, and she just didn't manage to pass them. How is this the school's fault? She implied yesterday that the reason she didn't get enough exams to do A Levels was because she wasn't allowed to sit enough exams but clearly that's bullshit. Also she says here, in POTATOES, that anything below a B (so a C or under) was a predicted 'fail' and yet yesterday she implied that anything below an A was a fail - her "predicted Bs and Cs". If she was predicted a B she would have been able to sit the exams? Presumably she got mainly Bs and Cs in her 'pass' grades, otherwise I'm sure she would have told us she got all As, as she mentions she got an A* in her little half exam?

View attachment 459275

ETA TL;DR she's chatting tit to make it seem like it's someone else's fault she didn't pass some of the 7 GCSEs she sat. Because nothing's ever Jack's fault, the whole world is just out to get her.
How many people walk into a £27000 a year job at 18,19? How's that being 'deprived'? It's more than a great many people earn and support a family on.

Her poor, pitiful me act is just so fake and annoying. I've fucked up big time with my life choices, but I'm the only one to blame for them. No one else made me make sucky decisions.

• Heart
Reactions: 76

View attachment 459275

If she sat 7 GCSE's but was struck off 'most' of them, how many GCSE's are there? And that's a genuine question, had though that 7 or 8 was about the average...(thought admittedly, it's been a few years for me personally...)

Reactions: 23
How many people walk into a £27000 a year job at 18,19? How's that being 'deprived'? It's more than a great many people earn and support a family on.

Her poor, pitiful me act is just so fake and annoying. I've fucked up big time with my life choices, but I'm the only one to blame for them. No one else made me make sucky decisions.
i don't understand how people never seem to call out the 27k a year thing, that is absolutely insane for an 18 year old, even now and even in london! Such a spoilt brat it's unreal

• Heart
Reactions: 60
I was brought up thinking my state school was the best in town - lol it was not!! Had a reputation for being ‘tough’ (which it was) but honestly can’t remember any teachers being anything other than really supportive, in fact once girl in a maths class was going to leave to get a job in a dental surgery & school did all they could to try to persuade her to stay on to get highers 🔺(which she didn’t cos mum needed the money) Anyway, most of us just tried our best, and got on the best we could. And definitely don’t define ourselves by the amount of exam passes we did/didn’t get, none of that matters when you get a job.

Reactions: 30
Westcliffe looks a good school on the government statistics, none of which are broken down as far grades, just 5 and above which I believe is a C in old money. I find it very difficult to believe you'd be told not to take exams you'd pass. My Mum often unoffically told some of her students to concentrate on six or so GCSES , rather than the ten they had us take, and concentrate on passing them well so they could do what they wanted. Indeed when for some bizarre reason they wanted students to take part in a trading standards interschool competion they gathered those of us in the lower sixth with ten GCSE passes and picked four of us, in total it was about thirty students out of 160. They then picked the gobby ones and I know far too much about assay marks as we were really hoping to get to the European final in Amsterdam. Spoiler we weren't good enough

Edit did screenshot school results page, but also managed to screenshot my lateral flow test results and am not posting that!. Am very tired after full moon night shift

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
Also, I think someone might have mentioned this before. If she was expelled for stealing the scalpel, she wouldn’t have been able to sit the exams at the school. 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
If she sat 7 GCSE's but was struck off 'most' of them, how many GCSE's are there? And that's a genuine question, had though that 7 or 8 was about the average...(thought admittedly, it's been a few years for me personally...)
I took 9 GCSEs (actually, I took 7 Standard Grades (Scottish GCSE equivalent) and 2 O Levels (showing my age here - when I took my exams the O Levels were being phased out), so taking 7 is not an unusually small number, I don't think?
ETA I had to check my ancient CV in order to answer this question, on account of the fact that I had forgotten and literally no one cares about your GSCE results past your early 20s.

• Haha
Reactions: 39

View attachment 459275

Why is she so obsessed with GCSEs? They're pretty meaningless in the big scheme of things?? I got 12 many moons ago and until today I don't think I've ever referenced them. She could so easily have gone and resat them somewhere else if they were so important to her.

I'm embarrassed for her that she keeps banging on about it.

It was over half your lifetime ago, Jack - let it go!

And stop dragging that poor school.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
Westcliffe looks a good school on the government statistics, none of which are broken down as far grades, just 5 and above which I believe is a C in old money. I find it very difficult to believe you'd be told not to take exams you'd pass. My Mum often unoffically told some of her students to concentrate on six or so GCSES , rather than the ten they had us take, and concentrate on passing them well so they could do what they wanted. Indeed when for some bizarre reason they wanted students to take part in a trading standards interschool competion they gathered those of us in the lower sixth with ten GCSE passes and picked four of us, in total it was about thirty students out of 160. They then picked the gobby ones and I know far too much about assay marks as we were really hoping to get to the European final in Amsterdam. Spoiler we weren't good enough
And this it Jack’s problem in a nutshell- she is not good enough. But instead of finding something she is good at and enjoys she wastes hours on Twitter trying to settle old scores/slights.

Reactions: 37
I imagine she didn't pass either English or Maths, as 5 A-C including English and Maths was often the way into A Level. She could have gone on to Further Education until 19 for free, and resat her GCSEs along side all sorts of vocational courses. Just because she didn't meet the school requirements doesn't mean that she shouldn't learn again. Most of the children I taught in the UK did not get 5 GCSEs.
BBA87F4F-EAD5-44BE-BD50-312A8523848A.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
She could have gone to college. Made up the GCSEs she needed, done her a levels. Gone to uni. Nothing stopping her. Or is she going to suggest her parents wouldn’t let her?

Reactions: 47
Just like a picture of sponsorbot can help you get over addiction, her book can help you get over a multitude of MH issues.
The moon might not have given us a chaos but it was lovely to look at.

View attachment 459217
I often think of her tweeting when she was not feeling great she couldn't muster up the energy to cook, also not from her own "Good Food for Bad Days". Great PR for your own work.

Reactions: 36
She could have gone to college. Made up the GCSEs she needed, done her a levels. Gone to uni. Nothing stopping her. Or is she going to suggest her parents wouldn’t let her?
Exactly this, Lumpy.

But she didn't and won't because she is inherently lazy and entitled.

God to keep feeding that woe is me victim complex.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
My own life story is 'was predicted great things at a high ranking school, then kinda fucked it but then sorta clawed it back, then chucked it again, now has found her NICHE'. I'm a massive list of irrelevant training, bumming along, career changes and missed opportunities. This is because I'm 3-frigging-3 and a human who does great things and makes mistakes but I'm thankful for what I've got and what I've achieved.

*breathe*
Oh god you're me. It's taken til 33 for me to rid myself of all the 'you'll do great things, go to uni, be a success' bullshit I heard throughout school. I have a third of a degree cos uni was not for me, a bunch of irrelevant qualifications, found out I have a learning disorder at 24, and it's taken working a minimum wage job I'm genuinely good at, alongside people who actually love and value me, to realise I am happy, and I'm not someone who needs a career to do that. I have my house, an ambitious wife who's happy to let me do my own thing, duck anyone who wants to look down on me because of my job. I've figured out what I want to do with my life and am working on it, but it's come about organically as a result of my current work and I'll be just as content if it doesn't happen.

Every 30 something who can't find themselves should do work experience with a bunch of self-assured women in their 50s.

When I, and by extension Jack, was at school in the late 90s and early 00s, uni was pushed on everyone except the...lower performing students who would be pushed towards vocational stuff. I would have been way better off heading down a vocational path but was made to feel it'd be a disservice to myself and it was 'too good' for me. I bet Jack got the same tit but for some reason still feels persecuted by it, I assume cos she's suffered no real-world adversity.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 65
She's done relatively well for herself despite all her tribulations but she's a nasty spiteful person and that means more than all of her qualifications and job successes combined. If you're a crappy person people will treat you crappy.

I've have been bullied in school by my peers but never have I ever felt to settle old scores. A college lecturer once told me I wouldn't get on at uni because my essays were too full of words. I changed how I wrote them and managed to get on at uni.

I never came back to my old college to tell him that he was so wrong. I didn't care, because at the time I had a bad attitude towards my college work so I knew he was trying to wise me up.

• Heart
Reactions: 40
I went Grammar school. In my last job I was managing the finances for a charity on considerably less than £27k. My colleague (same age as Jack with a degree) was ops manager and earning considerably less than £27k. My oldest son is a post doctoral researcher on less than £27k and he’s got an actual maths PhD. If she really was earning that in her late teens with 4.5 GSCEs then she really needs to get over herself and stop whining about her school.

• Heart
Reactions: 63
Long story short.
My youngest daughter did her A levels and all set for university. She had a brain hemorrhage a week after her 18th birthday and thankfully had brilliant surgeons and made a full recovery. She tried to carry on with uni but had a bit of a mental health incident and came back to live with me, she did various part time jobs but met what seemed like a lovely man and fell pregnant. They tried to make a go of it but he was abusive and the relationship broke down, eventually he fucked off back to the West Indies.
So young woman with small baby asked her family for help with a deposit for a flat, claimed benefits and went back to uni, she used local nursery provision, some help from mum and got a First. Went on to get very good jobs and eventually met a genuine good man and they are happily married and have a three year old and well as a 12 year old boy.
She is currently working from home, running a very successful Instagram business, home schooling a pre-teen and TA DAH last year they bought their first (not rented) home.
But guess what, her son knows nothing at all about the early days or how awful his father was, my daughter has never made her illness have any bearing on her current position or sought pity from anyone. It has no bearing on anything as it was something that happened a long time ago.
Sorry for the long rant but Jack seems stuck in some sort of entitled brat stage, it has served her well but is just bleeping boring now.

• Heart
Reactions: 123
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.