Jack Monroe #154 The book has furloughed itself

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
perhaps they also want to explain how they are inspired by Jack’s recipe coatings while also criticising that type of costing being from ‘Tory Twitter’

literally just added that, presumably while you were typing that!

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Spoonies are people who don’t have much energy like ppl with ME or long covid
It based on an explanation called the spoon theory which is a bit overlong and twee in my opinion but it works 🤷🏼‍♀️
Edit- am sure Jack was going to do spoonie recipes atone point

• Heart
Reactions: 39
I get the disabled thing sort of..... think this person calls them self a ‘spoonie’ which I had to google as initially I thought it was a term of abuse but something to do with not having energy to lift spoon due to illness which is where their shop has come from. Jack must have inspired them to make all of their protected characteristics front and centre of every conversation 😴

ETA: @HotesTilaire explained this much better already

Spoonie comes from an internet thing where somebody used a bunch of spoons to represent the 'bank' of energy reserves a disabled person has to exist and how they have to (oh, the irony) budget their physical and mental reserves in order to work out whether they will be able to work, shop, cook, clean, wash, etc, etc on that day and whether it will affect the subsequent days. Sort of like a budget with an unreliable overdraft facility; when you go into the red too many times, eventually you end up bouncing your rent for six months the bank stops your card and you have to live on 10p a day for the next decade.

Reactions: 31
perhaps they also want to explain how they are inspired by Jack’s recipe coatings while also criticising that type of costing being from ‘Tory Twitter’
Especially because Jack is a (not so) closet Tory who cosplays being on the left wing.

Reactions: 34
On a grunk, but this place is starting to invade real life. I just went to send a message about a friend called Harry and autocomplete helpfully suggested 'Harrybosch' instead. I don't think I've ever even typed that here! Also saw a car with the plate M00B3LL3 or similar yesterday, so on the incredibly slim chance that was our Moobelle, hi! And if it wasn't, there's an impostor out there.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 65
Ummm, that was a quick reaction! Was the person in question already lurking here or did someone notify them in the space of the half hour or so it took between us commenting on the blogpost and them seeing it?

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 57
Ummm, that was a quick reaction! Was the person in question already lurking here or did someone notify them in the space of the half hour or so it took between us commenting on the blogpost and them seeing it?
The number of 'Melts' attempting to up their SM profile by trying to get us to notice them.
Don't give them oxygen my Frau Friends.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 68
If spoonie cannot take even the mildest criticism after 300 reads of their blog post and an entirely correct observation about the dissonance of their costing strategy I would suggest that they do not have the right character traits to endure a public life online. A bit like Jack, I guess.

Being honest, I don’t care if someone who defines themself entirely by all of their perceived deficiencies and differences thinks we’re bullies because they think literally everything is bullying.

Personally I think it’s worse to play poor so that people donate their benefits to you so you can buy another pair of John Lewis curtains, and worse to publish a book full of untested and un-tasty recipes which people will waste money [and food] on, and worse to appropriate the causes of actual poor people to rake in media fees which could have been directed to authentic voices.

But that’s just me.

• Heart
Reactions: 69
Someone should compile a list of her vegan-bashing quotes, maybe as a fun gif. Could be deployed every time someone recommends her body of work to new vegans.

This is one of the things that truly, truly pisses me off about her. I've said it before, I'll say it again, I'm happy every single time a cook promotes vegan recipes, regardless of whether they are vegan or not. But vegan bashing is bleeping tedious and she's no different to Gordon Ramsey in that regard, apart from that she's still making money off the vegan pound. Ergo, she's worse than Gordon Ramsey.
I am not vegan, I'm not even vegetarian, but it bothers me too.

Words have meaning. To be a vegan has a meaning. You can not be any % vegan, you either are or you're not. You can't be "veganish" either.

You can eat a meal suitable for vegans, you can eat a meal suitable for vegetarians, but you are neither if your next meal includes meat, poultry or fish.
Her attitude to vegans has nagged at me for a while. I'm not a vegan (I was a vegetarian for over 20 years). As @MancBee said it's not a % or an "ish". It's a big deal and a way of life. She's far too flippant. It's not a banner you can glibly pick up and wave about for a week for commercial gain. She never comes across as genuine when talking about veganism. She tried it for a while because it was The Thing but then had a get out from her doctor (yeah, right!) and now does these patronising "here's how to get a bit of vegan in your life" spasms. I bet she felt furious and aggrieved at the Linda M. backlash, not understanding how upset vegans would be by having her as some sort of representative. Also, the food was tit...obvs. ;)

Couldn't help but chortle during the Guardian vegan thing when she starts on about rendering bacon fat. 😬

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
She can probably see her blog traffic coming from this site as people click on the link.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 45
If spoonie cannot take even the mildest criticism after 300 reads of their blog post and an entirely correct observation about the dissonance of their costing strategy I would suggest that they do not have the right character traits to endure a public life online. A bit like Jack, I guess.

Being honest, I don’t care if someone who defines themself entirely by all of their perceived deficiencies and differences thinks we’re bullies because they think literally everything is bullying.

Personally I think it’s worse to play poor so that people donate their benefits to you so you can buy another pair of John Lewis curtains, and worse to publish a book full of untested and un-tasty recipes which people will waste money [and food] on, and worse to appropriate the causes of actual poor people to rake in media fees which could have been directed to authentic voices.

But that’s just me.
Hard agree (as Sali Hughes once said.) I don’t give a duck what you have wrong with you, but it doesn’t and shouldn’t define you. If it does, that’s pretty bloody sad and indicative of a lack of personality in my mind. That ‘spoonie’ blogger sounds just like Jack to me.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
The number of 'Melts' attempting to up their SM profile by trying to get us to notice them.
Don't give them oxygen my Frau Friends.
Yeah, I’m saying no more about it as was just thinking the same thing. Why would you automatically go on here.. no more from me!

• Heart
Reactions: 26
her social awkwardness would freak people out.
I am a bit with @I’MBUSY! here, I think getting a job where she has to interact with people normally (not the current setup where she is fawned over as the “talent”) would help her social awkwardness.

I am really socially awkward and I have to keep putting myself out there otherwise I lose my (limited!) skills. For me getting back out into work and social settings post-Covid is going to be like a David Attenborough-narrated documentary where they re-introduce zoo animals into the wild.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 58
De-lurking myself to say I am still confused as to why on earth anyone would put all those treatments Jack claimed to have used on a rash in such a short space of time... that's not how rashes work babe, and tbh everyone knows that. Have we had any updates on the rash?

Hadn't known much of Jack other than seeing a few articles about the poverty and tinned food recipes, kinda just thought "eh. Not for me but whatever, if it works for someone else then fab." But honestly I came to tattle for the Grace Beverly thread and stayed for you fraus. You're hilarious and have done a fab job of exposing the constant, unnecessary lies. The poverty cosplay and free school meals lark is what really made me snap, along with her being Schrodinger's Sex Worker... so now I'll just be lurking here watching this ridiculous book deadline palaver unfold.

Also whoever said she's David Brent and we're all Jim is just so spot on.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 74
Ruby was very rude on twitter to Matt of the forearms, and I believe that wasn’t a first, though I don’t follow her.
Ruby has talent but is also a very difficult angry person. She quit her Guardian column with no notice which pissed them off as they've pushed her since the beginning. But she can bake.

• Wow
Reactions: 40
Her attitude to vegans has nagged at me for a while. I'm not a vegan (I was a vegetarian for over 20 years). As @MancBee said it's not a % or an "ish". It's a big deal and a way of life. She's far too flippant. It's not a banner you can glibly pick up and wave about for a week for commercial gain. She never comes across as genuine when talking about veganism. She tried it for a while because it was The Thing but then had a get out from her doctor (yeah, right!) and now does these patronising "here's how to get a bit of vegan in your life" spasms. I bet she felt furious and aggrieved at the Linda M. backlash, not understanding how upset vegans would be by having her as some sort of representative. Also, the food was tit...obvs. ;)

Couldn't help but chortle during the Guardian vegan thing when she starts on about rendering bacon fat. 😬
This is in stark contrast to fellow Guardian food writer Meera Sodha who is not a vegetarian, doesn’t pretend to be a vegetarian and yet writes great vegetarian recipes. At no point does she whine about how difficult or what a struggle it is to not eat meat. She just makes lovely food. Not everything has to be a big bleeping drama.

I’m off to make her chilli eggs for lunch, I’m starving now.

• Heart
Reactions: 49
This is in stark contrast to fellow Guardian food writer Meera Sodha who is not a vegetarian, doesn’t pretend to be a vegetarian and yet writes great vegetarian recipes. At no point does she whine about how difficult or what a struggle it is to not eat meat. She just makes lovely food. Not everything has to be a big bleeping drama.

I’m off to make her chilli eggs for lunch, I’m starving now.
Ms Sodha is extremely connected, has an eating disorder and rips off recipes because she has no ideas of her own because she isn't a vegan.

• Wow
Reactions: 38
Well she clearly isn't dead from her rash, but no mention of her meeting or book.......hmmm

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.