Jack Monroe #148 Ya prune

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I discovered JM via the Martin Lewis forum. I followed username Weezl as she put together a plan with veggie/vegan options to feed a family of 4 on £1 a day. Her plans archived on “cheap family recipes” website. JM was active as the bootstrap blogger at the time so was referred to on Weezl’s thread as another cheap recipe genre cook. Have to say, you can sneer all you like at Weezls sincere effort at very low cost family meals and the limited choices, but the ingredients are better quality, more varied and better tested than JM’s body of work. There were already better low cost cooks and bloggers than JM when she started out, and I cannot see any improvement in her work over the years. I found Tattle through Mumsnet. I’ve stayed for the entertainment from you thoughtful, witty, entertaining and caring posters. The vegans here plus the passionate viggle from LM Instagram have turned me vegan too, so if that’s what hanging out with a bunch of trolls does, it’s fine by me 😀
I hardly think I can speak for the cabal but I have witnessed no one ever sneering at low cost cooking. It’s a vital part of getting nutrition to people who are cash poor, time poor and who haven’t had a an education in home cooking and now want to feed their family. It’s part of the fury at Jack because she hijacks (ha) a really important resource for people and fills it with inedible slop. It’s so sad to think of people spending their money on her recipes and ending up with nothing good to feed anyone. I know I’ve done it - and have enough food in the house to be able to make something else when her recipe failed.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
I hardly think I can speak for the cabal but I have witnessed no one ever sneering at low cost cooking. It’s a vital part of getting nutrition to people who are cash poor, time poor and who haven’t had a an education in home cooking and now want to feed their family. It’s part of the fury at Jack because she hijacks (ha) a really important resource for people and fills it with inedible slop. It’s so sad to think of people spending their money on her recipes and ending up with nothing good to feed anyone. I know I’ve done it - and have enough food in the house to be able to make something else when her recipe failed.
Everybody loved Weezl on MSE.

It's JM that's making a fortune out of being so tit instead of people like Weezl who should have been making a comfortable living out of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I'd love to create my own recipe book. It would contain some really bizarre and out there concoctions. Like beans on toast 😱 once a week treat meal of cooked vegetables with a side of meat and topped with plain gravy 😱 peaches....on their own!!! No curry powder required 😱
I'd call it poor not desperate, and I'm sure it would become the new modern way of cooking once people got over the shock of not having to eat mushy slop.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
To any newbies & lurkers: please post and tell us what particular chaos led you here! You can go right back to lurking if you like, but it's always interesting to see what brings people to the dark side.
The kitten brought me the first time because I just couldn’t believe what I was seeing and hearing. Then I mainly lurked because I’m invested in a couple of other threads but when she jumped on the coattails of Roadside Mum/Marcus Rashford and the school lunches stuff I realised exactly how bad she was and have started watching her in disbelief and commenting more. Never have I seen someone play the professional victim so well.

• Heart
Reactions: 64
Everybody loved Weezl on MSE.

It's JM that's making a fortune out of being so tit instead of people like Weezl who should have been making a comfortable living out of it.
Weezl was so lovely and dedicated to it all. I was sad when she vanished. She did get a lot of criticism though, which, unlike Jack, she took very much to heart.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Some of the squiggles deserve what they get.

This from Facebook about the hoops nonsense, "love the fact you make something outta nothing...just like my mum". :ROFLMAO:

Can I use tomato instead of tomato? How do you even manage to breathe?

tom.JPG

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 56
Who is her target audience with the bridge chat? Why isn’t she writing her tit book? This is even worse than the naked snow chat from yesterday. Does she understand that her agent/ employers/ clients can see this omg.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Spotted this on another thread and the idea it could be Jack herself who occasionally posts on this thread and has forgotten her username has entertained me no end (sorry op 🥰)

ETA for context it’s a response to someone saying they view recipes on an app that strips out ads (still, sorry op 🥰)

354B30B2-8223-4F83-9A5E-77E8CC4CE96A.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 41
Hey guys, ya like bridges? Let's talk about bridges. What do you mean I've got a book due

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.