Jack Monroe #148 Ya prune

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@waffle maker I’ve lost half the quote section!

Luckily my husband is a vegetarian and a great cook- he made that chic pea and peach thing and it was fine- he added more curry and fresh herbs, and cooked it for less time.

edit- here it is, I put it on tattle when he made it last. View attachment 432250
[/QUOTE]
That looks so much nicer than anything she’s posted. But it was in the hands of a good cook and he made several changes! I think this partnership was a deal she negotiated when Mel Donte ‘stole’ this recipe from her.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Put jack monroe David walliams into Facebook search bar and all Jackie's vile tweets about David's books come up. So tempted to comment on it but I SHANT

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
She's not even being that inventive is she. She does the same variation of recipe; either stewed or curried. No technique, no texture. I think most people would struggle to tell apart the majority of her meals if they were presented to them. The fact she says about substituting pretty much every ingredient tells you how pointless it is having the 'recipes' written down, let alone published.

The fact some people are so desperate to turn to her slop for ideas indicates there is a much bigger issue at hand. Because it's in a book, and because middle class fuckwits with blue ticks keep fawning over her, people who have little choice will automatically assume THIS is what they should spend their pennies and food/gas on. She needs to stop.
I reckon if you created a collection of pictures of her food without labels nobody including her would be able to identify them

• Haha
Reactions: 35
I discovered JM via the Martin Lewis forum. I followed username Weezl as she put together a plan with veggie/vegan options to feed a family of 4 on £1 a day. Her plans archived on “cheap family recipes” website. JM was active as the bootstrap blogger at the time so was referred to on Weezl’s thread as another cheap recipe genre cook. Have to say, you can sneer all you like at Weezls sincere effort at very low cost family meals and the limited choices, but the ingredients are better quality, more varied and better tested than JM’s body of work. There were already better low cost cooks and bloggers than JM when she started out, and I cannot see any improvement in her work over the years. I found Tattle through Mumsnet. I’ve stayed for the entertainment from you thoughtful, witty, entertaining and caring posters. The vegans here plus the passionate viggle from LM Instagram have turned me vegan too, so if that’s what hanging out with a bunch of trolls does, it’s fine by me 😀

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 98
Silk is too expensive for someone so desitute! Not going to lie they are a tad pricey for socks, but really noticed a difference on cold days like we've had recently. If my feet get too cold it's like the worse pins and needles ever and makes me want to chop my feet off. (I have osteo so the bone spurs are pinching nerves)
Hi, could you tell me the brand you use? My sister has Raynaud’s and her feet go numb in this weather. Are there hand equivalents I wonder? Glad the socks are working for you 😘

Reactions: 17
Well-loved?! Classic?! She's 'avin a larf! Who is it who loves this sickly-sweet, mushy 'curry' (so not a curry) and what has made it a classic? Does it hail from the long and magnificent history of South Asian cuisine? Which famous chefs and writers of such cuisine bestowed this honour of 'classic' upon her?

Bah! Now get to f**k!
If she's unilaterally declaring her dishes classics, how long before she claims to be a national treasure?

• Haha
Reactions: 36
For someone who pretty much ignored the whole of veganuary in favour of #jackshacks and other chaos, she is really going hard on veganism now isnt she. Bit late love

• Haha
Reactions: 49
She really doesn't have that many recipes, does she? At least not the ones she so selflessly uploads to the internet FOR FREE, like a regular Robin Hood. The same ones just keep being regurgitated. Literally, no doubt.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
Reynaud’s - I buy my mum the silk sock and glove liners. They are a bit short lived (probably last a year) as quite thin but she can put the gloves in her handbag etc as they scrunch up quite small

Reactions: 17
Oh my poor, dear @MancBee I think she is deliberately trolling you now.

View attachment 432362
That has just done it for me. The mere thought of it, never mind a picture, brings a claggy feeling in my throat. I will never forget the combination of texture and overpowering taste. Absolutely disgusting, and I don't say that lightly. I will normally eat any old crap, I'm not known for being a fussy eater (chilli allergy excepted), but this, I couldn't get down.

It will be the cutlery drawer next, you mark my words.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 74
That has just done it for me. The mere thought of it, never mind a picture, brings a claggy feeling in my throat. I will never forget the combination of texture and overpowering taste. Absolutely disgusting, and I don't say that lightly.

It will be the cutlery drawer next, you mark my words.
This one befuddles me particularly because it all sounds fine, hardly groundbreaking and a bit bland but you know, edible... until she shoves stuffing in it. And I can’t understand for the life of me why she would, other than her being Jack obviously.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
She really doesn't have that many recipes, does she? At least not the ones she so selflessly uploads to the internet FOR FREE, like a regular Robin Hood. The same ones just keep being regurgitated. Literally, no doubt.
This is very true, she does just upload old ones time and time again, doesn't she? Unless she's tried out some 'maverick' idea, and posted a photo with details "coming soon" (that never do), that's all her followers get. Same old slop that she still rattles that tip jar for.

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Popular, classic, oldie but goodie? Nay nay and thrice nay!

This had me singing "Any tit Will Do" - to the tune of Jason Donovan's "Any Dream Will Do" :D

C444E36C-45E0-4E13-83D0-E7640D69B9C5.jpeg

You barely need to change the lyrics!

I closed my eyes, drew back the curtain
To see for certain what I thought I knew
Far far away, someone was weeping :cry:
But the world was sleeping
Any dream tit will do

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
If sultanas arnt your thing just throw in some nuts and bolts noone will notice the difference
:D Nuts and bolts LOL
That really conjures up for me the mental picture of Jack in the kitchen being a kind of latter day Dr frankenstein! :LOL:
Slaving away in her laboratory and creating a monster (slop) that wrecks havoc on people's digestion?

She definitely fancies herself as a kind of boffin mad scientist type i think?
A kind of heston blumenthal?
I can just imagine her laughing to herself at her own zaniness?
That jack eh?
Such a maverick such a whizz kid what will she think of (or do) next?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
Anyone noticed there are rather a lot of us now? The likes on posts have been going up.

Well done all of you for refusing to drink the Monroe koolaid!

Yay Friday
Yeah! I've only been here since the FSM debacle but I've noticed the numbers swelling.
We just need Josh Layton from Metro mag or any half-decent journalist to do a little
light digging on jack and we'll be exonerated!

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Every time I see this I just think how dry it looks! I don't know about anyone else but I have to have a good sauce to rice ratio in a curry so I'm not just eating plain rice for some of it? I want a glass of water just looking at this.
All of the different textures and the sloppy brownness of it all just gives me the boak. Most curries have a blended/thick soupy sauce, idk why she couldn't just blend some of the veg up? Easier to hide extra vegetables, looks more like an actual curry and would probably look a lot less chaotic on the plate...

I was strictly vegetarian through most of my teens and 20s and ruined many meals through terrible substitutions. You can’t get away with just chucking anything in a stir fry or pasta sauce if you want it to taste nice- you get slop. I ate a lot of slop as a student and young person learning to cook Jack doesn’t seem to have got past this despite it being her actual job. I think meat can cover a multitude of sins as it has a strong flavour and you have to be more gentle with vegetarian. Luckily my husband is a vegetarian and a great cook- he made that chic pea and peach thing and it was fine- he added more curry and fresh herbs, and cooked it for less time.

edit- here it is, I put it on tattle when he made it last. View attachment 432250
That looks lovely! I was 'inspired' by the peach curry (god knows why) when I was a teenager and had just started learning to cook, but ended up making a melon curry because I got some reduced honeydew at the shop. Admittedly it sounds disgusting, but I found out that adding more spices, extra tomatoes and giving it a nice long simmer mellowed the flavours a lot. Nowadays I'm devoted to pasta and rarely cook proper meals, but I'm tempted to go over some of my old recipes and see if my tastebuds have changed...

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I’ve been trying to make sense of the hoops, tomatoes and chickpea abomination overnight, but the more I think about it the less sense it makes. (And I do accept I’m massively over invested in it 😂)

It must work out more expensive per portion than cooking regular pasta and making a quick tomato sauce from the tinned tomatoes, and if you’re in a hurry why not hoops on toast, with or without cheese depending on your liking and diet? Most if not virtually all children would turn their noses up at it so it’s hardly a feed a family cheaply recipe. It serves no purpose whatsoever in any category of food. Someone previously described it as like something your stoned housemate would make, and I can’t help but agree.

Off topic, but people having trouble drying period pants, have you tried drying them inside out? I’ve found this works for me.

Aldi Pasta penne 500g is 29p
So why on earth would you use a tin of spaghetti hoops that could be used on toast for another meal?
Jack really doesn't care what the poor people eat.

Hello! Long time lurker, popping on to say how I came to these threads....I used to like her, but noticed there seemed to be an awful lot of "chaos" happening around her all the time. Some of it started to not add up to me but I thought whatever, you do you, and just unfollowed. Saw the Sali Hughes stuff about tattle and thought ooh I wonder if there's a JM thread? And lo and behold I fell down the rabbit hole! Cannot believe what has gone on since (absolute worst in my eyes being the kitten and black eye and winter fuel allowance squiggle). You are all very funny folk!
Welcome to the cabal!

Reactions: 37
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.