Jack Monroe #140 This is not what Linda would have wanted

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes, as soon as she started with all this Mrs Beeton bollocks, I thought- this book already exists. Also Martin Lewis sold it quite cheaply, IIRC.
I like him.
He wrote something for GCSE economics (might have been A levels) as well as putting together a book on finances/taxes for teenagers. He then made sure every child in year 11 got a copy. For free. He actually made a loss but didn't care because he is so passionate about 'good financial health'.
I don't doubt he's made a lot of money, but most of the stuff he does is for free.

• Heart
Reactions: 53
Didn't she sign a deal for a specific number of books? So the publishers are committed at this point. Seeing her agent asking her to phone her via twitter I speculate they are relieved to receive any content from her. If it's all of the standard she posts on twitter what are they going to do? I am also wondering why they are publishing books from her so fast. Veganish,Tin Can Coook, Good Food for Bad Days, - and now two books with deadlines due - is a lot of books in a short time. Is this usual in the publishing industry?
This is the only thing that makes sense really - that she’s under contract for a set number of books. They’ve all been rather cheaply done so I can’t imagine the budget is huge - maybe no budget at all for testing/checking the recipes (Jack will probably be responsible for doing this, laughably) and minimal budget for editing.
I don’t think the latest ones have been selling well at all, so I don’t think they’re a money-maker for the publishers. In addition, she can hardly be the easiest author they have to deal with - what with those missed deadlines, the bare minimum of effort she puts in, and her appalling personality. Maybe they’re rushing them through (or trying to, obviously this depends on how long Jack takes to crank the things out) so as to get her off their books.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
I don't know how this happened and don't 🔺 me but I have had a sneak preview of Jack's touching tribute to Nigella's garden.

IMG_20210125_144103.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 87
Is it April fools already? Those “tips” can’t be serious, who knew jackie actually has a sense of humour?

At this rate I’ll have to buy the bloody thing as it’s made me laugh so much already 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 38
"poached in its own defrosted juices" is all you will ever need to know about Jack Monroe's apparent food expertise.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 66
i have been lurking here for literal months and have never felt as compelled to make my first post as i do now. how can someone who writes BOOKS ABOUT FOOD just come out and say that ALL HERBS ARE INTERCHANGABLE?! after 140 threads, herb-gate has broken me.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 113
This is the only thing that makes sense really - that she’s under contract for a set number of books. They’ve all been rather cheaply done so I can’t imagine the budget is huge - maybe no budget at all for testing/checking the recipes (Jack will probably be responsible for doing this, laughably) and minimal budget for editing.
I don’t think the latest ones have been selling well at all, so I don’t think they’re a money-maker for the publishers. In addition, she can hardly be the easiest author they have to deal with - what with those missed deadlines, the bare minimum of effort she puts in, and her appalling personality. Maybe they’re rushing them through (or trying to, obviously this depends on how long Jack takes to crank the things out) so as to get her off their books.
(Yes) absolutely this x

Her fanbase is, let's say, enthusiastic and forgiving, but that level of fanaticism doesn't translate into mass market appeal best-seller potential. Every chaos seems to alienate another group or client and has another wave of people googling for the audit trail. The pity likes from people like NigellaMom will eventually tail off as more and more influential people won't want to be associated with her. Her credibility is waning for sure.

• Heart
Reactions: 33
Longtime lurker. I’m on a grunka at the moment. But why is she tipping mixed herbs into old milk bottles and passing it off as a top tip? Why? Can’t she just leave them in the pot they came in.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 66
BIB: Episode 6 of DKL (during the infamous 🐴 💦 lasagne segment) Matt asks Jack "presumably you could break up spaghetti if you don't have lasagne sheets?" (he must be winding her up, surely?) and gets the reply, "Yeah, spaghetti will work really well. Just lay it flat."
See this is the bleeping madness of her cooking. If I didn't have lasagna sheets but I did have spaghetti, I wouldn't fashion the pieces of spaghetti into lasagna sheets, I would just cook a spaghetti dish with what I had? Her bogus recommendations go beyond being a suitable alternative and are genuinely offputting. It's the same thing we've said before with rinsed beans and, as another user pointed out, if I had veggie sausages and beans, I'd rather just have that than rinse them and make some bizarre concoction. AND YET AGAIN we come back to the herbs and spices thing. The flavours do matter. Jack should spend her time breaking down the flavour profiles of herbs and spices rather than saying that they're all interchangeable. They're not. That isn't elitist. Food is as an art as well as a science.

• Heart
Reactions: 58
i have been lurking here for literal months and have never felt as compelled to make my first post as i do now. how can someone who writes BOOKS ABOUT FOOD just come out and say that ALL HERBS ARE INTERCHANGABLE?! after 140 threads, herb-gate has broken me.
Herbs are herbs are herbs 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 28
I like him.
He wrote something for GCSE economics (might have been A levels) as well as putting together a book on finances/taxes for teenagers. He then made sure every child in year 11 got a copy. For free. He actually made a loss but didn't care because he is so passionate about 'good financial health'.
I don't doubt he's made a lot of money, but most of the stuff he does is for free.
I think I read in one of his recent emails that he has done a financial management course you can do free with the Open university,might add it to my to do list !

• Heart
Reactions: 27
Longtime lurker. I’m on a grunka at the moment. But why is she tipping mixed herbs into old milk bottles and passing it off as a top tip? Why? Can’t she just leave them in the pot they came in.
Because you can't tie a rag around the top of those little boxes Waitrose dried herbs come in, silly! You're not going to get those Patreon ££s without going full rags and rubberbands (donated to Mama from SB's own already-far-too-smol-coat and gifted from pavement respectively).

• Haha
Reactions: 22
I'm broken on an almost daily basis now but herb gate is particularly enraging. There is a fairly sensible point about substitutions that might work in certain recipes e.g. you could use rosemary or thyme, you could possibly sub coriander for flat leaf parsley where the coriander flavour wasn't that important to the overall dish. However to imply they're all just interchangeable gives me the fear that Christmas 2021 will be the year Jack unleashes mint 'n' onion stuffing on the world.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 55
View attachment 401709
Surely at this points she's trolling us?! Instead, look after your baking trays and properly clean them immediately after use? Then they don't get ruined? Am I going mad here? Otherwise it's just more clutter in your kitchen!

Also why has she added her Insta handle to these pics on her... Instagram? Does she really think people will screenshot and share these tips (aside on Tattle obvs!)
They would rust like crazy and leave rust marks which are hard to get off

Reactions: 22
If you're buying 8 different herbs anyway, the price doesn't decrease once you empty the containers and put them in one big jar. There is literally no benefit to this.
Yes there is - squiggle engagement. ‘Oh thankyou Jack, that’s changed my life. I’ve been keeping all my herbs and spices in the bath but now we’re refurbing the bathroom and will just have a shower and I was beside myself wondering how I would store it all but again you’ve done it! THANKYOU! Surely the OBE is a given now! It should be. Perhaps we should all email the Queen cos it’s her that decides these things isn’t it? Yeah JACK FOR MEDALS!’

• Haha
Reactions: 42
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.