Jack Monroe #140 This is not what Linda would have wanted

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If you're buying 8 different herbs anyway, the price doesn't decrease once you empty the containers and put them in one big jar. There is literally no benefit to this.

• Haha
Reactions: 54
I think the mistake many of us are making is that we're looking for some sort of logic behind her inane witterings.

• Haha
Reactions: 53
Sorry but " A bungalow is a small house or cottage that is either single-storey or has a second storey built into a sloping roof (usually with dormer windows), and may be surrounded by wide verandas. ".

We can see a staircase. One that doesn't look like it's leading to a attic with a sloping roof. It's not a bleeping bungalow
It isn't a bungalow. Plenty of pictures of it online, along with floorplans.
It has 3 large bedrooms and a big bathroom upstairs. As well as huge landing that she uses as a library (She's posted pictures of it online)
Sometimes bungalows have loft extensions, but this is an original Victorian, detached and very pretty house.

Reactions: 27
Well I’m still absolutely cringing at Jack asking Nigella if she can draw her garden, what an embarrassment. So to distract myself I’m thinking about all the things in Jack world that are interchangeable. So far I’ve got:

rice is rice
Any herb will do (also, kale)
Pasta is all the same (I think?) fact check needed on this one
Salt is salt is salt
Possibly the worst one - carrots will do instead of sweet potato. bleeping hell.

Any others I’ve missed?
Any flour will do, no need for bread flour etc

• Angry
Reactions: 21
Well I’m still absolutely cringing at Jack asking Nigella if she can draw her garden, what an embarrassment. So to distract myself I’m thinking about all the things in Jack world that are interchangeable. So far I’ve got:

rice is rice
Salt is salt is salt
Possibly the worst one - carrots will do instead of sweet potato. bleeping hell.

Any others I’ve missed?
Pasta, dear heart, is not all the same. For pastitsio it must be only be bucatini (cue USA shortage article), rolled under the Mediterranean arse of your Orthodox granny. To use a different type of pasta would be culturally insensitive to my Greek-Cypriot roots x

• Haha
Reactions: 36
Pasta, dear heart, is not all the same. For pastitsio it must be only be bucatini (cue USA shortage article), rolled under the Mediterranean arse of your Orthodox granny. To use a different type of pasta would be culturally insensitive to my Greek-Cypriot roots x
I think she said she used penne for her original attempt, only for some bucatini to mysteriously appear on her doorstep the very next day.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 28

rice is rice
Salt is salt is salt

Any others I’ve missed?
BIB: Episode 6 of DKL (during the infamous 🐴 💦 lasagne segment) Matt asks Jack "presumably you could break up spaghetti if you don't have lasagne sheets?" (he must be winding her up, surely?) and gets the reply, "Yeah, spaghetti will work really well. Just lay it flat."

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 54
But she said on DKL that you could use spaghetti in a lasagne instead of pasta sheets. I'm not sure how, but Jack said so, so it must be true.

ETA @Themaninblack was quicker with a response. I need faster typing skills.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
All this chat has reminded me I have a Martin Lewis book somewhere called Thrifty Ways for Modern Days or somesuch . Having to skim read the threads as I can't keep up but get the impression she wants people to submit tips/recipes for new book, suggest vocab and them type it all up lol what a liberty !
Yes, as soon as she started with all this Mrs Beeton bollocks, I thought- this book already exists. Also Martin Lewis sold it quite cheaply, IIRC.

Reactions: 26
How the hell does she know that she lost her sense of taste with Covid. She never had any in the first place. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 58
Just add some orange peel table salt and eucalyptus and pickle your own eggs (ovaries) 👌We got this#sorted mate#winning at life#Lifestyle hack#frugal tips...courtesy of....brought to you by...

Jack monroe/steptoe...and (poor) son...enjoy...(y)
View attachment 401694View attachment 401695View attachment 401696View attachment 401697
I'm pretty sure I have that glass jar and it was from John Lewis. #frugal4lyfe #savingformyforeverhome

I mean, it wasn't a massively expensive one or anything, but your baths salts are not 27p if you have to buy a posh jar to put them in for the Pinterest look. Unless she got it from the puddle branch of JL of course.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
You know, if she were to say something along the lines of 'you can use dried oregano in the place of most dried herbs' I could actually see the point - like, if people who are novices and who don't know which of the herbs to get, recommending one particular one which works well in most recipes would be useful? But instead she's just like 'buy any herb! Doesn't matter which one' which is beyond unhelpful.

Reactions: 39
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.