Jack Monroe #136 We lived in a house, it had a roof

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So after starting a hashtag (šŸ¤­) entirely based on writing template letters to your MP about NHS wages, and encouraging people (the day before a HoC vote) to write a letter to their MP about Universal Credit cuts, today Jack is on the front page of the Guardian discreetly slagging off Marcus, Tom, Jamie et al for... writing a letter?

People barely need to engage their brain to see the fault here. What is the matter with everyone?!

I feel terrible for RM, tbh. Sheā€™s obviously a hothead and I relate to that and donā€™t see anything wrong with being authentically angry but sheā€™s clearly had her head turned a bit by Jackā€™s nonsense. And as has been noted much more eloquently by others, Jack has all kinds of privilege protecting her from backlash, that RM doesnā€™t. Jackā€™s a real witch for allowing it to play out like this and pouring poison in RMā€™s ear. She could have sent her the letter in a private message first to ponder its authenticity, or just waited until after RMā€™s meeting with Chartwells, but instead she chose to throw the grenade from outside the room and close the door as chaos ensued.
I feel bad for her, too. RMā€™s being really aggressive and playing this all wrong, IMO, but we know how toxic Jack is. You have to pity anyone that has been sucked in by her, and unwittingly turned into a flying monkey.

Again, how the hell Louisa is watching all of this play out and not trying to put a stop to it is beyond me. Is she complicit, or just another one of Jackā€™s victims?

Reactions: 32
A more jack-centred comment - I found this on my timeline this morning. Almost 2 hours to cook pasta? Stealing recipes? Mrs Beeton sounds like Jack's culinary hero.

I just read a bit more about Mrs B and apparently she became a journalist and food writer in her early 20s, despite having no previous experience. She also used to recommend boiling any vegetable for about 90 mins

Screenshot_20210118-085257.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 53
Also, you just *know* that this tweet means that Jack's BUSY, BEHIND THE SCENES pitching the 'exclusive' to various publications which will garner her more attention. Which is probably why RM's being so circumspect. They want some sort of media splash.
Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 09.03.46.png

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 33
I feel terrible for RM, tbh. Sheā€™s obviously a hothead and I relate to that and donā€™t see anything wrong with being authentically angry but sheā€™s clearly had her head turned a bit by Jackā€™s nonsense.
Me too, but I have learnt that it doesnā€™t get you anywhere! Last week I had to have a few conversations with a couple of companies that I was pretty furious with...car insurance and car payments šŸ”ŗme! One of their mistakes could have had a big impact on my credit rating.

I was fuming but politely spoke to the operative, explained calmly what I wanted to happen, had a bit of a laugh with them and through polite and considerate conversation things got sorted. Over the years I have really learnt how to hold back my temper and that calm conversation gets things done.

The Chartwells bloke doesnā€™t have to engage with RM, he has chosen to...ok for PR effect but ranting and raving at him will not be tolerated. There are signs everywhere that say abuse of our staff wonā€™t be tolerated (schools, GPā€™s etc all have them) just because he earns big money doesnā€™t mean he should accept it either.

It is a shame because I listened to RM on the radio and she was really good, I would rather listen to her voice on this that JM but people wonā€™t put up with shouting and rage, nor should they!

Also the accepted outcome needs to be reasonable, because the media wonā€™t be positive if they have someone ranting about their expectations of what Chartwells should deliver if it is out of realistic boundaries.

• Heart
Reactions: 44
I feel sorry for RSM, sheā€™s in way over her head. Sheā€™s not had media training, sheā€™s not a journalist, okay so Iā€™m speculating here but being a traveler she probably doesnā€™t have a high level of education and sheā€™s probably not used to being attacked on SM so sheā€™s hell bent on defending herself to people, many of whom can probably run rings around her because they live for that kind of thing. Jack has thrown her a lifeline, ā€œcome and join me, I know what Iā€™m doing and we can fight the power togetherā€ kind of thing. Itā€™s not surprising RSM has grabbed the lifeline with both hands.

Reactions: 22
Just gone 9am on a Monday morning and my grunk through from 11pm last night has already exhausted me. Feel itā€™s going to be a long week with Jack. šŸ„±

• Haha
Reactions: 27
I hate this ā€˜on itā€™ bullshit that she comes out with, like sheā€™s some kind of roving reporter. If she had dealt with all this in a calm, measured way a la Marcus, then maybe people would her get on board with her. Instead she wazzes around on Twitter, trying to look important and getting absolutely nothing done.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 60
[
Oh dear. I wonder how Jack will reply.

View attachment 389710
View attachment 389711
The reply will be along the lines of these people have been persecuting me for eights years since DKL because I am smol politically difficult pixie etc etc. In fairness to RM most people don't appreciate unsolicited advice so I can see why she's pissed off. Her tweets over the last day or so have been disappointing and I do understand why people would want to warn her but if any of our lurkers are responsible, can I suggest that contacting her like this is counterproductive. She's either smart enough to work it out herself or she's not.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
I hate this ā€˜on itā€™ bullshit that she comes out with, like sheā€™s some kind of roving reporter. If she had dealt with all this in a calm, measured way a la Marcus, then maybe people would her get on board with her. Instead she wazzes around on Twitter, trying to look important and getting absolutely nothing done.
Jack is the real life Jake Gyllenhall character in Nightcrawler.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28
Just gone 9am on a Monday morning and my grunk through from 11pm last night has already exhausted me. Feel itā€™s going to be a long week with Jack. šŸ„±
Saaaaame, about halfway through my grunk I got a feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach at the thought of losing another entire week to keeping up with the grift.

• Haha
Reactions: 47
Jack is completely is her habitat and therefore has no interest in RM and Chartwell coming to an agreement/solution or having a productive meeting. She thrives on conflict, shouting, snark and being the victim (and praise from squiggles for her shouting). RM is her way into the spotlight this week, so she won't let go of that.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 41
I'm glad others have said they are finding this uncomfortable, as I thought I was being a bit over sensitive. Not enjoying watching this unfold at all, RM yes is a grown adult but Jack is a manipulative, toxic witch šŸ™. Horrid to see a narc play somebody vulnerable and not be able to do anything about it.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 59
She never responds with 'on it', when Patreons ask for their recipe cards. They always get a whole spiel of her ailment du hour.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 88
My least favourite aspect of the saga has been Jack's faux-nice bullshit claim of "oh sorry, I didn't tag you in re: this scandalous letter because it's Sunday evening and I thought you'd need the rest. I, on the other hand - tireless campaigner - never rest."

It's a simultaneous pass-agg put down and a performance of warped respect for family life (that she doesn't afford to her own son). RM was visibly on Twitter while Jack posted that letter. They also apparently have private channels of communication. There was nothing stopping Jack waiting for feedback or permission from RM to post the letter, or leaving it until RM had her follow-up with Charlie. Instead she let RM see it second-hand and go nuclear.

It's very, very crappy behaviour.

• Heart
Reactions: 82
On a lighter note, there's a very interesting article in today's Guardian about how food trends happen. Miguel Barclay makes a big appearance and disses Instagram sellouts...

This bit also jumped out at me: Similarly, Lap-Fai Lee, a professional cook and tutor in Birmingham, finds chefs putting their ā€œtwistā€ on east and south-east Asian foods ā€œlaughable, juvenile, mildly racist. No western chef would put basil in carbonara...

Jack Monroe: hold my beer!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
Yeah...

I think it's okay to defend oneself on Twitter, and it's prob quite a human instinct to do so. But no good comes of it, as it's just rising to the bait.

I think it is a mistake for her to so expressly align herself to Jack. She just doesn't know that.

Yet.

ETA this tweet. I feel for her.

View attachment 389718
it is a carbon copy of a Sad Jack tweet.

And I need to stop rubbernecking and get on with my work.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.