Jack Monroe #131 Mary Sloppins

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh God she’s going to come out of this as a hero isn’t she? I just can’t bear it. And I keep laughing at SilverLinings post about “She’s gone all Sylvester again”. I’m in work today and keep giggling and the kids are saying “what are you laughing at Miss?. I think this is the only place of sanity where people can actually see her for what she is.

• Haha
Reactions: 41
I thought the issue was that schools replaced a 30£ voucher with a small amount of food, not that contractors are getting 30£ for each of those boxes? She's trying to make it sound like the latter, but that would make less than zero business sense.
That's basically it. It might well be the case that the contractors have received a significant sum that would allow them to provide better lunches and turn a reasonable profit or it could be that the government have tried to do the whole thing on the cheap. We don't know and until someone gets the figures we can't really say where the blame lies. I suspect it'll come down to a bit of both but that's only guessing, hence why I'm not all over Twitter pretending I know all the facts.

Reactions: 34
Do not listen to Emma Kennedy. She was also the person who said Mary Sloppins was the 'original economy cook', forgetting that Marguerite Patten ever existed...you know...during World War 2...
Emma Kennedy has been awful for actual years. When I first started on twitter, she was my 'Jack Monroe' which is to say everything she tweeted made my blood boil. Idiotic woman.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 69
😱 hang on, she’s claiming she involved with the Marcus rashford Tom kerridge collab??? I really really do not believe that for one second
Mm yes I thought that was wierd - neither mentioned Jack when they were tweeting about it a couple of weeks ago :unsure:. Plus not a chance she would not have said something sooner rather than as a casual throwaway remark.
Nah. Doesn't add up at all.
(Unless she is gently, softly advising them behind the scenes).

ETA: Btw I've always been wary of Emma Kennedy since she was part of Sali Hughes 'coven' who bullied Dawn O'Porter on twitter. Tbf to her she did stop after a while, and tried to stop the others, but she had said some horrible things.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 61
Inadequate yes, but they'll eat better at lunch than what she showed she gave SB
This is the cognitive dissonance I don't get. I saw a comment from one of her followers sneering that the lunch boxes probably don't rotate different types of vegetables each week. Jack herself turned her nose up at lettuce...

...but she feeds her son "cheap soft soft white bread", cooking bacon scraps and endless servings of the nastiest sausages she can find, all cooked up in LARD. It would be one thing if she were actually making healthy, varied food. But - as she would say - "that ain't it."

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 78
I can see two days of ham sandwiches, one day of cheese sandwich, two days of baked potatoes and beans. Some additional toast for snack time?
A bottle of water each day and a piece of fruit on 3 days.

I am not defending this box, there should definitely be more fruit and some butter would be needed for sandwiches, I’d personally like to see a little treat too- some crips or a couple of biscuits

But last time this happened we discussed what our weeks worth of lunches would look like if we laid them out. These ingredients are to replace lunches not a child’s whole daily intake of food.

When I’m actually working outside my house, I generally take a ham sandwich with coleslaw each day, a piece of fruit and a packet of crisps...it would look woeful laid out on a table!

• Angry
Reactions: 36
I'm not at all saying that these pictures Jack is tweeting arent authentic, however she said herself she'd had over 500 dms about it so surely she needs to be verifying and clarifying before throwing it all out there.

All it takes is for one fake to be discovered and that's it, benefit bashers and the like will cling onto the fact that one was a fraud and the whole point of the campaign becomes overshadowed because one glory hunter didnt do her homework properly.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
Oh God she’s going to come out of this as a hero isn’t she? I just can’t bear it. And I keep laughing at SilverLinings post about “She’s gone all Sylvester again”. I’m in work today and keep giggling and the kids are saying “what are you laughing at Miss?. I think this is the only place of sanity where people can actually see her for what she is.
Take heart though, yes she will be the hero in many people's eyes in Twitter. But she's also making herself look an annoying twit in the eyes of many others. And Twitter is where it ends.

She's not getting what she really wants, which is the glory of the work that MR is doing, the credit in the media today. So all she can do is rant and rant, and merely convince the same old blue tickers and squiggles that she's amazing.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
I think it works differently in different local authorities. That's why several of us on here (I'm speaking only for myself but guessing from what I 'know' of others) were hesitant to criticise the original picture too strongly in case it had come from a school where teachers/support staff had had to run round getting stuff from a local shop at short notice with a small budget. Now though, it has transpired that that box was provided by Chartwell, who are a huge company involved with school dinners, who apparently didn't even have to tender for this job and got given money to provide boxes instead of the previous scheme where vouchers which went to families. The voucher scheme did have some issues too by the way, especially when people were isolating, didn't have printers or email, and were for expensive supermarkets which weren't necessarily close to where people lived. So the question to Chartwell, and other similar companies used by different authorities, is where has the money gone? And now it has been asked, so Jack can sit down.
I spoke at length with Mrs Tunnel about the whole thing this morning. Having worked with FSM students for many years her only comment was “you cannot solve this by tweeting.”

She started to explain the conversations she had with the financial manager about FSM but it got too complicated regarding the money the students had to spend (in school, under normal circumstances) the money the school had been given by the government and the money the contractor was spending on food.

She needs to stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: 39
I'm not at all saying that these pictures Jack is tweeting arent authentic, however she said herself she'd had over 500 dms about it so surely she needs to be verifying and clarifying before throwing it all out there.

All it takes is for one fake to be discovered and that's it, benefit bashers and the like will cling onto the fact that one was a fraud and the whole point of the campaign becomes overshadowed because one glory hunter didnt do her homework properly.
I thought this when she posted that photo of some tuna in a coin bag. Lots of these photos of course are genuine, but it's so easy for someone to mock up a photo of something that looks even more diabolical than the others, knowing that she'll jump straight on it and post it.

Reactions: 38
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.