Jack Monroe #131 Mary Sloppins

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also off topic as it was just a washing up thought from a sad little house frau:

In my experience the biggest barrier for young people entering media (the back office side, admittedly) is financial, not necessarily class although obviously the two are intrinsically linked tho. You’ve always got nephews of rockstars getting highly competitive internships or the daughter of the COO walking straight into an above average pay assistant role that usually requires an internship prior. But I’d say those are a small % because by definition, those sorts of privileges only exist in a small % of society. In my / my peers experience it’s financial exclusion cos you can’t afford to be based in west / central / even the suburbs of London on the awfully low salaries they pay, or the instability of freelancing, or in film & fashion they make their runners all part time but they end up working over full time hours. Jack had the benefit of a family home she could have lived at whilst working / a family who could back her so this chip on her shoulder doesn’t really stand. She’s now an affluent woman with industry connections, if she can’t monopolise that then maybe it’s not meant to be babe 🤷🏻‍♀️

Similarly YouTube is a great leveller as it shows a proof of concept / established audience to help get your show onto mainstream tv. Or keep it on YT as it’s arguably more immediately profitable.

Sorry it’s off topic but I agree with that squiggle who mentioned how dodgy these research methods are - I 100% believe the original image sharer but we as a society have to be SO careful about perpetuating fake news from dubious sources, it’s more damaging to a cause than going slowly / carefully. It’s also pointless as the issue is going through the correct channels and hopefully it’ll be fixed. The issue of contact procurement is huge but not gonna be resolved under a hashtag?

Sorry for the essays today x

• Heart
Reactions: 55
I'm not at all saying that these pictures Jack is tweeting arent authentic, however she said herself she'd had over 500 dms about it so surely she needs to be verifying and clarifying before throwing it all out there.

All it takes is for one fake to be discovered and that's it, benefit bashers and the like will cling onto the fact that one was a fraud and the whole point of the campaign becomes overshadowed because one glory hunter didnt do her homework properly.
Even her original claims don’t stand up to a fact check - she was implying at first that the original pic was “food for a child for five days” when it’s lunches and the original tweeters caption clearly said 10 days.

She’s half arsing it like she does everything.

ETA: I totally believe the original tweeter got that package for 10 days but Jack’s description of the pic was completely inaccurate.

• Heart
Reactions: 47
Interesting.. Neither Marcus nor Tom K have liked any of Jack's tweets.

A bit odd considering she's 'working with them'

• Haha
Reactions: 59
Here the Dept for Education refers to its guidelines for school meals *and* provides a link.
Jack then responds “have you published these guidelines?”.
The guidelines are in the link you ignoramus. It’s a public document. You claim to be on top of this issue but it would appear you and your “investigative team” (😂😂) haven’t even done the most basic research. You’re an absolute shambles.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 61
😱 hang on, she’s claiming she involved with the Marcus rashford Tom kerridge collab??? I really really do not believe that for one second
I thought that, Neither Marcus or Tom have mentioned Jack being involved in their campaign.

• Haha
Reactions: 42
I can see two days of ham sandwiches, one day of cheese sandwich, two days of baked potatoes and beans. Some additional toast for snack time?
A bottle of water each day and a piece of fruit on 3 days.

I am not defending this box, there should definitely be more fruit and some butter would be needed for sandwiches, I’d personally like to see a little treat too- some crips or a couple of biscuits

But last time this happened we discussed what our weeks worth of lunches would look like if we laid them out. These ingredients are to replace lunches not a child’s whole daily intake of food.

When I’m actually working outside my house, I generally take a ham sandwich with coleslaw each day, a piece of fruit and a packet of crisps...it would look woeful laid out on a table!
exactly this. Fruit and a sandwhich is fine for lunch for a child. (or an adult)

I spoke at length with Mrs Tunnel about the whole thing this morning. Having worked with FSM students for many years her only comment was “you cannot solve this by tweeting.”

She started to explain the conversations she had with the financial manager about FSM but it got too complicated regarding the money the students
indeed. You solve it by voting.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Oh my, she is so rude and takes no care with her words. She's going to rattle the wrong cage one of these days and I will have no sympathy with her as she deals with the fallout

Reactions: 38
OK, just to get this straight, there used to be £30 of food vouchers, now there's not. Instead, families are sent a "hamper". The food is supposed to be 5 days lunches for a child, not 7 days worth of 3 meals.

The food catering companies will be tasked with providing the cheapest food, so per portion it will literally be pence per child per portion, which is why the hampers are so paltry. Am I right in thinking that this was never promised to be £30 worth of food? If so, it's a cost saving exercise from the government, as it's cheaper for a caterer to create these parcels than sending out £30 to each family in need. It's blindingly obvious some of these hampers are insufficient, and I'm not 100% what my point is to be honest.

• Heart
Reactions: 46
I thought this when she posted that photo of some tuna in a coin bag. Lots of these photos of course are genuine, but it's so easy for someone to mock up a photo of something that looks even more diabolical than the others, knowing that she'll jump straight on it and post it.
I agree. It’s indiscriminate and, frankly, pointless.

No one would argue that FSM don’t need to be adequate nutritionally (and hopefully tasty too), but I wonder if *some* of the more paltry looking provisions are because basically no one got any notice that schools were being closed?

I have zero idea of the logistics required to ramp up FSM provisioning, but I presume it cannot be done overnight.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
This is a bit off topic, but George Clark (make over programs & architect), is running an appeal for pupils in the N E England to receive laptops etc as there is a shortage. I know that lots of pupils all over UK. need technology, but someone on here may be able to help. Saw it on his Instagram.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.