Jack Monroe #126 Dangling her fl*ps over a Cotswold sideboard like none of it matters

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I thought we all knew 🤷
I tend to avert my eyes for the 'sexy' stuff. Not cos I'm prudish, but it's just so cringey try hard it makes me feel 🤢

Quoting myself because I need to explain....I thought she said she went to bed in 2020 and woke up in 2022 (when she really put 2002). The egg is on my face for this one. Though I stick with my thought no Jack for a year would be bliss.

Off to bed now, to wake up a year older. That's right, Christmas, New Year and Birthday done and dusted in just over a week. :(
Happy Birthday. Hope you had a non Jack recipe to celebrate ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 33
I was born in 1986, and I know nothing about Counting Crows. Are they the "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot" ones? I once saw a CD of theirs at my cousin's house. He was 9 years older than me.

Jack was born in 1988. Why does she have the musical tastes of someone so much older? Be honest Jack, you spent your teens listening to So Solid Crew! I got 21 sideboards to go...

• Haha
Reactions: 76
Quoting myself because I need to explain....I thought she said she went to bed in 2020 and woke up in 2022 (when she really put 2002). The egg is on my face for this one. Though I stick with my thought no Jack for a year would be bliss.

Off to bed now, to wake up a year older. That's right, Christmas, New Year and Birthday done and dusted in just over a week. :(
Happy Birthday @MancBee hope you have a fabulous day!

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Totally my era as I was at university in the late 1990s. I just looked up Couning Crows on Apple Music and while vaguely familiar I couldn’t have named a song.

6699A145-6138-4A84-9C73-86FF0273E339.jpeg

Reactions: 16
I was born in 1986, and I know nothing about Counting Crows. Are they the "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot" ones? I once saw a CD of theirs at my cousin's house. He was 9 years older than me.

Jack was born in 1988. Why does she have the musical tastes of someone so much older? Be honest Jack, you spent your teens listening to So Solid Crew! I got 21 sideboards to go...
Let's not conjure up white rapper Monroe, please!

• Haha
Reactions: 33
There’s a funny synergy between a middle-class woman who cosplays being poor stanning a band fronted by a prestigiously privately-educated white man who famously wore dreadlocks (nay, not only dreadlocks but they were EXTENSIONS).
Sums it up! (I remember in the early 2000s when I would go to many a European music festival the CC were often there, and though they weren't particularly tit, I was never very enthused by them either. It was a large band, so relatively 'easy' to sound alright compared to 3-person bands with just drums, guitar and bass).

But I also agree with the person who said it's a nice break from her usual nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 28

Does she have older siblings or cousins she's close to? I cannot remember for the life of me. If not, she was probably around older foster kids at some point. I'm a bit younger than my siblings/cousins and I feel more nostalgic about music/games/TV shows from their era than ones from my own childhood.

Reactions: 22
Sums it up! (I remember in the early 2000s when I would go to many a European music festival the CC were often there, and I though they weren't particulalry tit, I was never very enthused by them either. It was a large band, so relatively 'easy' to sound alright compared to 3-person bands with just drums, guitar and bass).

But I also agree with the person wo said it's a nice break from her usual nonsense.
I read this and texted my husband. I have also seen the counting crows but neither of us remember! We saw everything on the main stage!
E5E19B80-E24C-427B-93D6-D771A1043554.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 38
Does she have older siblings or cousins she's close to? I cannot remember for the life of me. If not, she was probably around older foster kids at some point. I'm a bit younger than my siblings/cousins and I feel more nostalgic about music/games/TV shows from their era than ones from my own childhood.
Her brother's only a couple of years older I think?

My music tastes are definitely older than me, so I wouldn't say it was that strange. It's weird though, as she's the right age to have been an emo. With all their moping about, you'd think it would've been a perfect fit for someone like her who has such a hard life

• Haha
Reactions: 34
Her brother's only a couple of years older I think?

My music tastes are definitely older than me, so I wouldn't say it was that strange. It's weird though, as she's the right age to have been an emo. With all their moping about, you'd think it would've been a perfect fit for someone like her who has such a hard life
Oh yes!

I can see Jack having a MySpace/Bebo with a bad webcam pic full of mopey blog posts and little widgets saying quirky phrases like "normal people scare me" on it.

• Haha
Reactions: 54
Oh yes!

I can see Jack having a MySpace/Bebo with a bad webcam pic full of mopey blog posts and little widgets saying quirky phrases like "normal people scare me" on it.
This should be behind a spoiler tag - gave me horrifying flashbacks to my own teenage years.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47
I read this and texted my husband. I have also seen the counting crows but neither of us remember! We saw everything on the main stage!
View attachment 368083
I like how you call it “The Counting Crows”, it totally changes the meaning of the name. Like how my dad says “The Nelly Furtado”

counting crows makes me think of someone being a bit emo and bird watching, the counting crows makes me think of the count from Sesame Street having some birdy backing singers

• Haha
Reactions: 35
I also wondered that. Tattoos are expensive, and she has loads. You rarely see young working class people with that many for that reason. Her tattoos scream middle class girl trying to be edgy.

If she really did claim to have been gifted free tattoos, it's the same category of absurd bullshit like finding a Burberry scarf in a muddy puddle. Just sheer, absolute, barefaced brass-necked bollocks, to explain to mad squiggles and Guardian readers how comes she's got all this expensive stuff despite being a starving single mum.

Not a chance in hell was she ever gifted free tattoos. They might not be the best tattoos in the world but they're clearly professionally done.
... what? I’m 3 pages behind but perplexed by this definition of working class tbh, class is complex I get that but it’s entirely possible to be WC but also grow up to be comfortable through to minted, and have tattoos. Jack isn’t WC full stop but it’s got nothing to do with what she does / doesn’t have as a 30 something.

ETA this comment is v daily mail, sorry

• Heart
Reactions: 46
oh poor squiggle. Don't they know that Jack takes money FROM poor people, not give it TO them?
She’d be a perfect politician then.....

Happy birthday @MancBee ! I made you a cake and then realised you hadn’t been inside me so you get a bowl of lurid porridge cooked in leftover beetroot water instead. 🥰

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 58
I am a Frau who is unashamed to admit I only know Counting Crows because of the film Shrek

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
I wonder how much Jack's tattoos cost in all? She is covered. And she seems to like traditional styles a lot.

It might have been mentioned way back, but I think I recall her saying some were free? The ones she had during her poverty stint, ofc. It seems mad that she would have tattoo artists friends willing to tattoo her for free yet none helped her out with shopping or bills. :unsure:

Mr D's ex was 'given' tattoos, clothes, shoes, holidays, jewellery all the time. Once he'd had a phone call from their landlady to say that the rent hadn't been paid for three months and they were being evicted yet again, he realised it had all been coming courtesy of his bank account.

And those tattoos are absolute shite.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 27
I like how you call it “The Counting Crows”, it totally changes the meaning of the name. Like how my dad says “The Nelly Furtado”

counting crows makes me think of someone being a bit emo and bird watching, the counting crows makes me think of the count from Sesame Street having some birdy backing singers
I’m so old! I’ll start on 1970s snacks soon.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.